Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Shipping G3 from Canada: how much?

Shipping G3 from Canada: how much?
tonbo0422
Forum Regular
Feb 19, 2002, 01:49 PM

I was planning to sell my G3 Blue and White on eBay, but keep getting these ridiculous rates from FedEx and UPS's web sites.

I'm in Montreal, and if I were planning to ship to the furthest US destination I can think of, namely California, FedEx quotes me, on my own estimation of shipping weight as 35 lbs. a price of about $189 US! Can this be? How can anyone sell a computer online if shipping rates are this high?

Anyone else have an experience shipping a desktop Mac from or to Canada from the US? What's the best way to go about it?

johnny_hotrod
Feb 19, 2002, 01:55 PM

how much are you looking to get for and what speed is it? It may be cheaper to ship it to me.

tonbo0422  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 19, 2002, 02:11 PM

Lol . . . FYI, it is the following configuration:

B&W tower. 350 mHz/ 6GB HD/DVD-ROM/384MB RAM, optical mouse and original Apple extended keyboard. If you want to buy a QPS Que! CD-burner with accompanying SCSI PCI card adapter you could tack on another $100 US. The HD contains DVD Studio Pro, Final Cut Pro 3.0, Photoshop 6, Illustrator 9, Office 2001 and lots more, for you to look at before you erase the HD and reformat it, of course.

Price would be $1300 CDN (around $817 US) without the CD-burner but of course I'd be willing to dicker. I could accept PayPal or Billpoint, or your personal check or money order. See, I was all ready! =+)

Nick

Ron W
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 19, 2002, 09:59 PM

The only way for Canadian eBay sellers to ship is Via Canada Post. They are the only carriers that will insure used goods in Canada or to the US. Furthermore, the rates are great and they are really fast. For instance, sending a 35 lbs. Package to California Xpress post will take 4 days or less and cost $50 USD plus insurance. You can ship Air parcel for about $40.00 USD but you can not track it. The tracking system of Xpress post is�lets just say your customer will probably get it before the first update. The only benefit of tracking is you know for sure that the customer has received the package. I have tried FedEx (forms galore, no insure) Purolator (forms, take insurance money for used goods but do not pay) and UPS (some forms, Great customer service, no insurance).

Consider this your lucky day! You can learn from my many horrible shipping experiences without the pain. I had overlooked the obvious for far too long. Go www.canadapost.com

I am Canadian,

Ron

[ 02-19-2002: Message edited by: Ron W ]

tonbo0422  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 19, 2002, 10:20 PM

Ron,

You've saved my Canadian-American bacon! I'll go check out Canada Post right away. I knew there was something better than the courier companies.

Freezing rain tomorrow. Hope it's better in NB =+)

Nick

Ron W
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 19, 2002, 11:09 PM

There is one thing I forgot to mention. Shipping price is based on weight or minimum density weight, whichever is higher. This is the case for all shipping companies. If a package is heavy and relatively small they you would pay on the actual weight. However, if it were a large box but not very heavy then you would pay based on dimensions. For instance, if you shipped an empty box that only weighed 3KG and had the following dimensions 50cm X 80cm X 40cm/6000=26.66kg. You would end up pay a lot of money for nothing.

The formula:
Length X Width X Height
= Volume (cm3)
Volume / 6000
= Minimum Density Weight (KG)

Therefore, when shipping you want to pick the proper size box for the job. Keeping in mind, a box that is small may save you a bit on shipping if your item is light. However, if the item is not properly packaged there will not be any insurance coverage. Just because you purchase insurance does not necessarily mean the carrier will pay a claim. If you shipped a glass vase without any type of protection then it would surely break and no coverage for you. That may actually be a bad example since glass items may not even be covered. I recently shipped an iMac to Hamilton and the screen would not have been covered if it broke. It was considered a fragile item by Canada Post� go figure. When you step up to the counter at Canada Post, the second thing they will ask is if you want insurance. If you say yes, they take the money and that is it. They usually do not fill you in on the fine print. It�s as if you are supposed to know it or something. Just make sure you ask if that $5000.00 vase, thrown loosely in a 6 pack box, will be insured if damaged.

The weather here in NB has been very nice lately. We have been having temperatures of about 0 degrees Celsius. Not bad for this time of the year. We all can�t be in California, sucking back a cold bear while watching girls running around in Bikinis like most of our fellow MNN friends�GRRR. No offense intended towards them of course.

Ron

murbot
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 20, 2002, 06:07 PM

I use Xpress Post alot to ship to the US.... one MAJOR thing to keep in mind though. They will only insure your package up to $1000 CDN.

You can insure it to whatever you want within Canada, but $1000 is the max on shipments to the US. Of course yours isn't much over that anyway...

I've had buyers on eBay choose Canada Post though because of the cost (usually less than half that of FedEx) - and I've never had anyting less than a perfect shipment.

Funny thing, the only time I've ever had a problem shipping a Mac to the US was with FedEx - used (at the buyer's choice and expense) their International Priority Overnight on an iBook - I think it was around $210 CDN or so - and the sucker was stuck in customs for 5 days!

Just make sure your seller confirms with you that $1000 insurance coverage is OK with them - you don't need them demanding the extra dough from you if it gets lost.

tonbo0422  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 20, 2002, 06:47 PM

You guys have saved my life! Why don't we in the frozen north have our own Mac sites to discuss these things? I go on IRC and all I see are Montrealers--discussion boards, Canadians everywhere . . . but all these sites are American . . . grrr

murbot
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 20, 2002, 06:58 PM

The only way for Canadian eBay sellers to ship is Via Canada Post. They are the only carriers that will insure used goods in Canada or to the US.
No, that's not entirely true. If you send it FedEx Air, you can insure it. FedEx ground and UPS will not allow you to insure it.

You can insure a FedEx shipment though if it goes by Air - either International Economy or Priority Overnight, I've done it several times now.

Ron W
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 20, 2002, 07:40 PM

I was unaware that FedEx insured if you shipped by air. I guess if you do not mind the expense and all the paper work that may be OK.

When the PSX 2 craze was about, the start of my eBay�n, I purchased 9 units from a local store. I decided to use Purolator as the carrier of choice. Of course, I had no idea what was involved in shipping across the border. The CSR helped me fill out all the paperwork. Including the declaration that the PSX 2�s were used. I could not sell them as new because I had no business. I paid my insurance totaling over $120.00 for all 9 units without incident.

I later shipped a used WallStreet DVD kit to a guy in Japan. By this time, I was an expert at filling out all the FCC, commercial invoice, and custom docs. It was not arriving and I assumed it was lost. I therefore proceeded to file an insurance claim and guess what. They did not insure used goods�go figure. They did say that they would give me back the money I had paid towards insurance. Suffice to say I was not impressed and what do you do. Just thought I would share this little experience for what ever it is worth.

Ron

murbot
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 20, 2002, 08:07 PM

Yes, that's the great thing about Canada Post - no hassles with forms, they take care of all of that for you.

Obviously I prefer to ship with Canada Post, but I leave it up to the buyer. I can think of better things to do with my time that fill out FCC and customs forms....

tonbo0422  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 20, 2002, 08:11 PM

Question: do I have to lug the box to my nearest Canada Post outlet (it's in a Pharmaprix where I am) or can I schedule a pickup?

I'm afraid the pseudo-Canada Post "employees" at the outlet won't have a clue what they're doing.

Nick

Ron W
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 20, 2002, 10:34 PM

"I'm afraid the pseudo-Canada Post "employees" at the outlet won't have a clue what they're doing."

You got that right! Do not go to a mall or a gas station outlet if you have a choice. I am assuming Pharmaprix is a drug store, keeping in mind, drugs and PowerMacs don�t mix well. Canada Post contractors generally do not have a clue and why would they even care. Once you know the ins/outs of shipping you could use the drugs store.

They will not come by and pick up your package. You will probably be best served if you take it directly to a CP centre.

Ron

Arcayx
Forum Regular
Feb 21, 2002, 10:38 AM

Hey!

You Canadian guys!

Go check out www.ehmac.com
Its a lot like... this place. But more Canadian, eh?

We're going to play Belarus on Friday!
-Cogito, Ergo, Sum

Forum Links
Forum Rules