Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Prevent partition from Sharing

Prevent partition from Sharing
t_hah
Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2002, 04:09 PM

I have three partitions on my computer. I would like to prevent anyone using the network to see anything than only one of the partitions. How can I set this up?

If this is not clear...here goes the little longer story. At work we have a network. People share files using the Connect to... dialog box in the Finder. By the way most computers do not even show up there since I upgraded to jaguar, but that is a different topic. So someone types in my IP address, and then log/pass and can select which partition to mont on their desktop. So...my question is, how can I disable users mounting two of my (three) partitions, and only be able to mount a specific one?

Thank you,

t

ps.: anyone having the same issue with not being able to see anything on the network? not printers, or computers?

t_hah  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2002, 06:15 PM

Are you guys saying this cannot be done?

t

PubGuy
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 5, 2002, 10:16 AM

Good question...I would like to know also. Seems that SHARING shares all local drives and it would make perfect sense to limit which partitions are shared.

I check the Get Info...no help there.

Anybody know about this?

Mithras
Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2002, 10:48 AM

Is your user authorization from the network, or from the local machines?

On my machines (with local users), ordinary non-Admin users can only see Public folders and their own home folder. They can't see the list of local drives at all.

Admin users can see all partitions. However, they are still restricted to their normal access rights; so, I can mark a partition as Owned by Me, with group and others having no rights. The drive still shows up in the list for admin users, but they cannot see anything within it if they mount it.

So I surmise that you have a networked user authentication. I'm less certain what happens then; but I'd still try spending more time with the Get Info privileges. In particular, I'd make sure that the "Ignore Ownership On This Volume" button is not checked.

PS. As for services: Maybe check your Subnet settings in the Network prefpane? That can throw off searches for services. It should usually be either 255.255.0.0 or 255.255.255.0, depending on your setup.

noliv
Senior User
Sep 5, 2002, 10:56 AM

If a user can read a partition when he is in front of the mac, he is also able to read that partition when he connects from another computer....

You can change the access rights...
( Last edited by noliv; Sep 5, 2002 at 11:01 AM. )
-noliv

Forum Links
Forum Rules