Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Not so great little Jaguar feature

Not so great little Jaguar feature
Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 5, 2002, 04:57 AM

OK, I am really enjoying the thread on the great Jag features. Somehow I have the feeling that maybe one or two bugs have remained in the System and before I go complaining to apple/macosx/feedback I thought I should check with you guys here for a possible solution.

So here goes...

Since public beta I have noticed that after a fresh login and a click on the Finder dock item I get a window with completely different settings (spacing of my columns is wrong for example)vthan my default. If I close that window and open another one my settings are applied. They just never get applied by the first Finder window to appear. Strange...

rw
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 5, 2002, 10:49 AM

That's one of my greatest annoyances as well.

JKT
Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2002, 11:12 AM

Originally posted by Simon:
OK, I am really enjoying the thread on the great Jag features. Somehow I have the feeling that maybe one or two bugs have remained in the System and before I go complaining to apple/macosx/feedback I thought I should check with you guys here for a possible solution.

So here goes...

Since public beta I have noticed that after a fresh login and a click on the Finder dock item I get a window with completely different settings (spacing of my columns is wrong for example)vthan my default. If I close that window and open another one my settings are applied. They just never get applied by the first Finder window to appear. Strange...
No it isn't just you:

Both windows are set to have three columns of equal width - when I log back in, one of them reverts to the default width every time (and which of the two to do so is random). I was really hoping Jag would have cured this

noliv
Senior User
Sep 5, 2002, 11:16 AM

When I catch a window by its title bar to drag it to the bottom of the screen (to see what's behind) and move it to the top where it was, the window "sometimes" go back to the bottom of the screen....

I've seen that with the Public Beta, 10.0, 10.1 and 10.2 (not more than 30 times in 2 years, it's not very annoying but strange!)
-noliv

nest18
Sep 5, 2002, 11:39 AM

I have the same problem has you .... and it is very annoying indeed.

I've sent feedback to apple since the beta built, but seams like it's not in priority in the list of bugs.

cheers
An apple a day keep the Doctor Away :P

absmiths
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2002, 11:43 AM

Originally posted by noliv:
When I catch a window by its title bar to drag it to the bottom of the screen (to see what's behind) and move it to the top where it was, the window "sometimes" go back to the bottom of the screen....

I've seen that with the Public Beta, 10.0, 10.1 and 10.2 (not more than 30 times in 2 years, it's not very annoying but strange!)
There is a little weirdness where sometimes the mouse button seems to get 'stuck' when clicking on or around windows. This usually happens to me probably three or four times a week. I will drag a window, release the mouse button and the window stops, then whereever I click next the window jumps to that location as if I had never released it. It is a minor annoyance with other things considered, but definitely persistent.

noisefloor
Forum Regular
Sep 5, 2002, 12:14 PM

Originally posted by absmiths:

There is a little weirdness where sometimes the mouse button seems to get 'stuck' when clicking on or around windows. This usually happens to me probably three or four times a week. I will drag a window, release the mouse button and the window stops, then whereever I click next the window jumps to that location as if I had never released it. It is a minor annoyance with other things considered, but definitely persistent.
See this constantly, very annoying. I've also had problems where I try and grab an icon on the desktop and instead get the select box (that lasso thingy whatever it's called).

ReefHobbyist
Sep 5, 2002, 12:16 PM

There is some strange behavior in the customization of accounts. I was updating my kids account trying out the new jag features (simple finder, etc) and found a problem.

The problem occures when launching classic applications. When using the simple finder option, classic launches fine but I can't modify the dock to remove or add things I want for the kids. So I though I would try the next level up which is to use a normal login with limits on system preferences and applications.

If I turn on the option to limit apps to only the ones listed in the config then classic wont launch. Something to do with access restrictions. But classic is not even listed as a app that can be selected.

Sorry if this doesn't make sence. I am at work on a pc (yuck) and don't have access to my mac to capture the correct dialog text. I will try to edit when I get home.

Scott

ASIMO
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2002, 12:59 PM

This annoyance affected only Carbon apps under system duress, as far as I could tell -- Internet Explorer being the most obvious example. Fortunately so far, this appears to be remedied in 10.2. It looks as if the window manager has been beefed up...or something.
I, ASIMO.

kentuckyfried
Senior User
Sep 5, 2002, 03:38 PM

Why is it that sometimes, the display resolution suddenly changes after you logoff and login as a different person?

I've noticed on occasion that my setting will be something like, 1280x XXXX, and then it may randomly change down to 800 x XXX setting where everything is huge on the screen.

This is a matter of annoyance b/c I share a computer with my dad,
and he actually gets PISSED if anything on his setup changes, esp. like the display (he's not a very saavy mac user yet).
Now I know, and knowing is half the battle!

Cipher13
Sep 6, 2002, 02:06 AM

Happens to me far too often... very annoying.

Forum Links
Forum Rules