Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Printer question

Printer question
ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 27, 2006, 03:09 AM

hi all

i am looking for a reliable color printer for general use

inkjet or laser? in terms of of price /performance...the cost of the inks etc...in the long run

or

whats do you recommend as a:

1) simple 8.5x11" color inkjet printer....and

2) simple 11x17" color inkjet printer

thanks again...

OreoCookie
Dec 27, 2006, 08:14 AM

What exactly do you want to do with it? And what's the print volume? Are you printing just one picture at a time for instance or print out 20 presentations a 20 pages? Would you like to be able to print duplex? Do you want to purchase two printers or just one? And most importantly, what is your budget?
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Back up 15 and punt
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 27, 2006, 12:03 PM

When you start to look at printers that are capable of 11 X 17 output, you will find that nothing is really that cheap.

ironknee  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 29, 2006, 01:14 AM

hi all

i want to print out say, web pages, photos, pdfs, general prining, once in a while....nothing intense like presentations

yeah 11x17 may be out of my budget...say $200 and below....but just dreaming

anyways thanks for looking

OreoCookie
Dec 29, 2006, 02:35 AM

That's practically impossible -- unless you buy junk. Inkjets which can print A3+ cost at least 400+ Euros. Epson and HP have two ancient models on sale, but I cannot recommend them.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

bowwowman
Mac Elite
Dec 29, 2006, 07:19 AM

For ~$100-200 you can buy a REALLY nice 8.5 x 11 inkjet nowadays
For ink cost considerations, get one that has 4 or more individual ink tanks, like Canon or HP.

I would steer clear of Lexmark, since everyone I know that bought one (60+ people) has regretted it as wasted time & money

If you really want a large format printer, you can usually pick up a used one for ~$100-$200 on ebay. They can actually print 13" X 19" & 19" x 44", and from a paper roll too, for banners and panoramic pictures. I have an Epson Stylus Photo 1280 which is an older model but works great for me, and I got it for only $125 last year
Personally I find it hilarious that you have the hots for my gramma. Especially seeins how she is 3x your age, and makes your Brittney-Spears-wannabe 30-something wife look like a rag doll who went thru WWIII with a burning stick of dynamite up her a** :)

Forum Links
Forum Rules