Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Best portable laptop or pda or other from writer on the go

Best portable laptop or pda or other from writer on the go
Mallrat
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 31, 2004, 01:58 AM

I asked which laptop was best for a writer and got some good responses.

Thinking about what are other smaller devices taht I can take around to the park, get long battery life and type on some version of word that will later load into my home computer.

I was looking at PDA which have full size keyboard that you can buy to type on. that might work.

I also remember that my friend's dad had a little HP computer that had a good sized keyboard and ran on AA batteries and was small enough to carry around. It was great.

I don't know why they don't have something like that.

Call it the iWriter and it's a lower price laptop just for data, but big enough to actually type on for long periods of time as opposed to the PDA that have those small key or you need the pointer to punch things in.

anyway, anyone have any suggestions on what might be cheap, and let me type for a few hours before the batteries die, but won't be as cumbersome as a laptop to carry around.

Any tips would be great. thanks.

Tomster
Senior User
Mar 31, 2004, 02:50 AM

If you want cheap, look for a discontinued palm plus keyboard on ebay. Found a keyboard for my discontinued Clie for $12 bucks. Original price was something like 120. But then again, my N760 use to be mucho bucks when it was new. You can probably pick up a decent set up for about sixty bucks. You will have to get 3rd party software to type though. Think the memo pad has a limit of 8 pages per entry. Try Documents to Go for the Palm.

Or, look on ebay for anything by Alphasmart. Check out their website. The new one uses Palm OS - a bit overkill though. Should be able to find them on ebay.

Or you can get a Powerbook 5300cs for $50 from wegenermedia.com. Word Perfect 3.5 is free now, so load it up and type away.

Hope it helps.
Happily using a Mac since '89
MacPortable: 16Mhz 1meg/40meg System 6.0.8 - 16lbs Yeah baby!
Powerbook 17" 1.33Ghz 2GB/100GB 8x Superdrive
Powerbook 12" 867Mhz 1.125GB/80GB 2xDVD-R RPC1
MacbookPro 17" 2.33Ghz

Kami
Mar 31, 2004, 03:17 AM

Although not really a laptop, have you considered using an eMate (Newton OS)? Great battery life and a nice keyboard. The screen is black and white but has good contrast. Virtually indestructibel, too.

I've tried using a PDA with an external keyboard but I've found the screen too small for comfortbale viewing. The keyboards themselves more are fine though

Mallrat  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 31, 2004, 03:27 AM

Originally posted by Kami:
Although not really a laptop, have you considered using an eMate (Newton OS)? Great battery life and a nice keyboard. The screen is black and white but has good contrast. Virtually indestructibel, too.

I've tried using a PDA with an external keyboard but I've found the screen too small for comfortbale viewing. The keyboards themselves more are fine though
emate... cool idea. Yeah, why did Apple kill the Newton and eMate. I hope they bring that stuff back, it's so great.

anyway, I didn't get into macs until after that was discontinued.

What word processor does the emate use?

And how can I get documents from the emate to my ibook?

Is it too old to use to type novels on the go and then transfer back to my computer at home?

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 31, 2004, 03:46 PM

Originally posted by Mallrat:
emate... cool idea. Yeah, why did Apple kill the Newton and eMate. I hope they bring that stuff back, it's so great.
People says Steve does not like PDA

Mallrat  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 31, 2004, 11:55 PM

Originally posted by angelmb:
People says Steve does not like PDA
anyone know if the emate is a good solution? I saw a few on ebay.

But worried they wouldn't work with my ibook. I mean, how can I get it from the emate to my ibook.

Is it stupid to try?

I find my ibook is a little big, I can't see the screen in the sun, and the battery doesn't last very long.

the emate sounds actually perfect.

- matt

KP*
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 1, 2004, 12:42 AM

Palm add-on keyboards are a little tricky because they're collapsible and might be awkward unless you're using a table or other flat surface. A small laptop might be better for you if you want to go to the park and stuff. Also, the larger screen will be easier on your eyes.

I'd recommend either a 12" PB or iBook, or if you want something really small, maybe one of those teeny tiny Vaios. I hate to recommend a PC, but if size is your biggest concern and you don't care about which platform, that might be the best for you.

Mallrat  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 1, 2004, 01:16 AM

Originally posted by KP*:
Palm add-on keyboards are a little tricky because they're collapsible and might be awkward unless you're using a table or other flat surface. A small laptop might be better for you if you want to go to the park and stuff. Also, the larger screen will be easier on your eyes.

I'd recommend either a 12" PB or iBook, or if you want something really small, maybe one of those teeny tiny Vaios. I hate to recommend a PC, but if size is your biggest concern and you don't care about which platform, that might be the best for you.
I own the ibook 12 and I would prefer something a little smaller... but the main reason I don't like to use it out is because the 6 hour battery last 1 hour (I have an old one, but still doesn't a new one only last 3 hours or so which isn't that long if you get going writing).

also, it's hard to see the screen (if not impossible) during a sunny day.

Kami
Apr 1, 2004, 02:27 AM

Both eMates and Messagepad 2100s have a built-in word processor called "Works" which also has modules for a spreadsheet and drawing. You can also get additional software to add a better dictionary, thesaurus, etc.

There are a number of ways of connecting to an iBook under OS X. The emate can connect using Newton Connection Utility (NCU) under classic. There are a couple of OS X transfer programs available as well (sorry brain cramp and can't remember the names right now). Escale and Newten are the names

You can use a USB -> Mac serial cable or PC Card (ethernet) if you have network at home

If you are really interested in finding more info about the eMate, try here

http://newted.dyndns.org/cgi-bin/Ult...i?action=intro

http://www.unna.org/ (archive of Newton software)

http://www.chuma.org/newton/ (info on ethernet connectivity)

And there's always the Newtontalk email list that is very active and well worth subscribing to

netjammer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 1, 2004, 02:59 AM

Originally posted by Mallrat:
I asked which laptop was best for a writer and got some good responses.

Thinking about what are other smaller devices taht I can take around to the park, get long battery life and type on some version of word that will later load into my home computer.

Any tips would be great. thanks.
For portability and functional use I would suggest a Sony Picturebook. I have both 15" & 12" G4 P-Books and the Sony is easier to handle outdoors and not worrying (as much) about it getting damaged (compared to the P-Books) I'm running Windows 98 with Office 97 and it works just fine for me.

If you want smaller I use the iPAQ3950 PocketPC, I find it too small to do anything that requires more than one page of typing. I would go up to the HP200LX or NEC subbooks.

Cheers!
netjammer-

PS. if you want to stay creative, use the Mac

Cwriter
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 3, 2004, 01:03 AM

Mallrat,

I too do a lot of writing and I also value a small laptop. Although I have finally moved to a 15" PB, I used to write on a couple of different devices.

I've had a Newton, an Emate, Power 2400, a 12" ibook and a PDA. The PDA keyboard combination was horrible for me.

The absolute best is a Newton Messagepad 2100. (I actually had an extra as backup) It's screen size is almost equal to the emate's. They both have glowing backlit displays that work great in the dark. The eMate does have merit in style though. It's ergonomic case looks is semi-transparent and has a built in handle in the back. I got questioned about mine in an airport one time.

The messagepad easily plugs into an external keyboard with a nice clickety keyboard. Throw them both in a case that folds and zips and you have a laptop in a bag. I used to sit outside and type with mine and their great when travelling. The battery life was great.

The Newton's handwriting recognition is still better than today's pda. I would skribble a line down and it would recognize my handwriting. I liked using mine as more of a notepad over time. I would later take my text and refine it on my desktop machine or laptop. It might be something to consider.

If you want something smaller that the ibook in a true laptop design, you also might consider a Powerbook Duo, or Powerbook 2400. (You can add a wireless card to the PB2400.)

Mallrat  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 3, 2004, 02:18 AM

Originally posted by Cwriter:
Mallrat,

I too do a lot of writing and I also value a small laptop. Although I have finally moved to a 15" PB, I used to write on a couple of different devices.

I've had a Newton, an Emate, Power 2400, a 12" ibook and a PDA. The PDA keyboard combination was horrible for me.

The absolute best is a Newton Messagepad 2100. (I actually had an extra as backup) It's screen size is almost equal to the emate's. They both have glowing backlit displays that work great in the dark. The eMate does have merit in style though. It's ergonomic case looks is semi-transparent and has a built in handle in the back. I got questioned about mine in an airport one time.

The messagepad easily plugs into an external keyboard with a nice clickety keyboard. Throw them both in a case that folds and zips and you have a laptop in a bag. I used to sit outside and type with mine and their great when travelling. The battery life was great.

The Newton's handwriting recognition is still better than today's pda. I would skribble a line down and it would recognize my handwriting. I liked using mine as more of a notepad over time. I would later take my text and refine it on my desktop machine or laptop. It might be something to consider.

If you want something smaller that the ibook in a true laptop design, you also might consider a Powerbook Duo, or Powerbook 2400. (You can add a wireless card to the PB2400.)
thanks cwriter for the post.

Maybe I should define more of what I'm looking for.

I feel that the problem with using my current ibook G3 is the battery life stinks (right now I only get 1 hour). I assume my battery is just dead, but even with a new one, what is the best I can get using it how I normally would if it was plugged in? 2 and 1/2 hours?

I heard that the emate can go for 24 hours! Awesome.

Also, when I have tried to take my ibook for a walk, if the sun is out, I can't see my screen at all. A real bummer.

I mostly write screenplays, so I'd love to have a laptop that can run FINAL DRAFT, but i coudl always just use say the Newton 2100 to write novels, ideas, and treatments.

I still haven't figured out how easy it is (or how much it is going to cost) to use an older techonology like a Newton and get my writings to my current Apple computer.

My 1st apple was the 1400c laptop. I loved it! I still do. I loved the keyboard. Probably is the lack of USB and the battery life was down to nothing on my current battery. I don't know how long it should last for, but the one I had lasted like 10 minutes.

How long can the 2400 c last?

I'm just a bit afraid to use old technology, thinking that battery lenght for apple laptops must be the same if not better now. Still not as good.

As far as I know, PC laptop batterys last the longest.

I'm still in love with the ibook clamshells design as I thought they were great to type on, but I don't know how long the battery really lasts.

So my ideal thing would be a laptop that ran WORD, FINAL DRAFT, coudl be used in the sun, actually have a battery that lasted a good 3 hours without plugging it in if not more, be able ot see in the sun, and as light as possible.

Not asking too much right?

Maybe my current ibook G3 is fine and all I need is a new battery. I live in NYC, so there are plenty of people with huge laptops everywhere, so it's not like I shoudl be embarssed to carry around my ibook.

I just love the idea of having a laptop that I can put in my coat pocket so to speak.

Maybe what I want doesn't exsist.

So I'm wiling to buy something from the past or even a PC (sorry, but they have some more options).

I was thinking Apple Desktop and get a laptop/PDA to write on the go.

I hope the new ibooks are even lighter.

Cwriter
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 3, 2004, 12:27 PM

Mallrat,

I sounds like the Emate or Newton/Keyboard combination is probably the best offerings to meet your needs from Apple.

The PB 2400 was awesome for me, but the battery life was about 1.5 - 2 hours. I too had a PB 1400. The thing was a tank, but that keyboard was great.

The battery life on the newton & emate during regular use was days without having to charge it. The newton would have the advantage over the emate in that it accepts 4 AA batteries so you could always change batteries, where the emate is internal and requires the charger. this is the type of setup with the newton I was talking about:
http://www.pda-concepts.com/Satellit...wton_in_s.html

Man I miss my newton.

Hope this helps. Let us know how it turns out.

Cwriter
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 3, 2004, 12:33 PM

Oh yeah, if you have more Newton questions, here's a link to the best users mailing list for the newton. Theya re friendly and very helpful:

http://www.newtontalk.net/

TiUser
Apr 3, 2004, 12:46 PM

mallrat,
A friend of mine uses the Tungsten T and a Palm wireless keyboard together with a PowerBook for writing. He actually wrote half of the novel on the palm when he had to accompany his mother for a prolonged stay at the hospital. He can easily transfer/sync the files between the two devices. I have personally used a Handspring Visor with an external keyboard years ago when I travelled a lot and found it convenient and easy to use.

Forum Links
Forum Rules