Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > BitTorrent Crackdown

BitTorrent Crackdown (Page 2)
ambush
Banned
Oct 2, 2004, 12:28 AM

Originally posted by macgyvr64:
I wonder why there's been no news of ISP's or other agencies cracking down on BitTorrent. It's one of the most widely used P2P systems, yet no one's done anything about it. I ran across a CacheLogic presentation, and it shows how much more traffic BitTorrent generates. You'd think the RIAA would drop Kazaa and go after BitTorrent users.

Not that I want them to, of course. Just wondering what's holding them up.
Nudge nudge wink wink.
bit torrent IS the next generation of P2P. It is meant to better than Kazaa which still LOGICALLY functions on a central server. (connect to a specific server to retrieve information.

kazaa fanboys need to be enlightened

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 2, 2004, 12:32 AM

Originally posted by storer:
I doubt EXTREMELY much that LimeWire has spyware, because on their website they tell you that there is none, and that's got to be false advertising if it does.

i do believe that on Windows a few years ago Limewire had spyware, and unfortunately the tag has stuck. I think it's quite useful, and more effective than kazaa, except for the library.
http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...light=LimeShop

coolmacdude
Senior User
Oct 2, 2004, 12:39 AM

Originally posted by djohnson:
Yes, can you post this letter please?
It was about six months ago, I don't have it anymore.

I didn't really consider it worth saving.
2.16 Ghz Core 2 Macbook, 3GB Ram, 120 GB

storer
Mac Elite
Oct 2, 2004, 02:20 AM

oh, i forgot; limewire does have like a shopping tab. there is a list of online shops there to click on. i guess thats just to make them some money.

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 2, 2004, 03:54 PM

If ISPs block BitTorrent, then they will end up blocking legitimate traffic.

Many Linux distributions offer CD ISO downloads via BT, and the World of Warcraft beta is even using BT as a method to get the game files and patches out.
<This space under renovation>

The Oracle
Dedicated MacNNer
Location: Mt. Ararat, chillin' with Noah in the Ark's broken hull.
Oct 2, 2004, 04:12 PM

Originally posted by coolmacdude:
It's just as easy to get caught with BitTorrent.

I downloaded an episode of Enterprise, and got a letter from my ISP (forwarded from a Paramount attorney) that said I was liable for copyright infringement.

Ultimately nothing came of it, but I'm more careful about what I dl now.

Never download anything from Paramount!
downloading shouldn't be illegal. I don't think it is. It's just sharing--that's the infringement.

All-seeing and all-knowing since 2000 B.C.

storer
Mac Elite
Oct 2, 2004, 05:11 PM

Originally posted by The Oracle:
downloading shouldn't be illegal. I don't think it is. It's just sharing--that's the infringement.
Mmm, cos mummy and daddy always said sharing was so naughty...

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Oct 2, 2004, 06:30 PM

Originally posted by Lancer409:
Mac's have spyware?
LimeWire's spyware LimeShop was ported to the Mac and included in LimeWire for a time. They stopped including it, however, after a massive backlash.

To date, LimeShop is the only spyware ever known to have been produced for the Mac.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Oct 2, 2004, 06:39 PM

Originally posted by The Oracle:
Downloading is illegal if you have not purchased the software (or other copyrighted work) that you're downloading. Uploading is illegal even if you purchased it, unless you have permission from the copyright holder, and most of these don't give such permission to anyone.

Actually, this isn't quite true. Uploading a copyrighted work would be legal under the following circumstances:
  • You take pains to ensure that no more copies are downloaded than you had initially purchased (you may distribute less, but not more). Although most modern legal systems ostensibly work on a basis of presuming people innocent until proven guilty, more likely you will have to provide proof of your own innocence.
  • For every copy someone downloads, you destroy one of your own copies (or gave it to the downloader; what matters here is that you do not keep it). When you run out of copies, you cannot provide any more.

The concept of copyright is a Good Thing, but the current implementation doesn't benefit content users or even most content creators; it only benefits distributors. The sole exceptions to this are the very richest content creators, who are the only ones that can afford to retain any significant rights to their work when negotiating with publishers; all others get crushed under the distributors' metaphorical heels. I believe that this unacceptable situation can be alleviated without scrapping the entire system, and that is what I believe ought to happen.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

entrox
Senior User
Oct 3, 2004, 06:48 AM

It's a shame that even the legitimate P2P apps get taken over by pirating imbeciles. If they crack down on BT traffic because of massive copyright infringement, people using it for legal distribution (like Blizzard) lose again. Great work!

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 3, 2004, 06:56 AM

XFactor and, although it's a Java app, Azureus for BitTorrent stuff.
ice

macgyvr64  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 3, 2004, 06:59 AM

Originally posted by entrox:
It's a shame that even the legitimate P2P apps get taken over by pirating imbeciles. If they crack down on BT traffic because of massive copyright infringement, people using it for legal distribution (like Blizzard) lose again. Great work!
Yeah... I'm sure P2P apps are made with totally legitimate purposes in mind P2P and piracy are just too closely linked. P2P is meant for sharing files with many people. Piracy involves sharing files with many people. Hmmm

wulf
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 3, 2004, 10:18 AM

Originally posted by macgyvr64:
Yeah... I'm sure P2P apps are made with totally legitimate purposes in mind P2P and piracy are just too closely linked. P2P is meant for sharing files with many people. Piracy involves sharing files with many people. Hmmm
Considering a career in the RIAA, are we?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 3, 2004, 10:20 AM

Originally posted by storer:
oh, i forgot; limewire does have like a shopping tab. there is a list of online shops there to click on. i guess thats just to make them some money.
That's not what the LimeShop spyware was.

REad the link

MilkmanDan
Mac Elite
Oct 3, 2004, 11:11 AM

I always think it would be a good idea of politicians had a clue about technology before ruling on it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules