Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Is iCab too geek to success?

Is iCab too geek to success?
is not
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 18, 2011, 03:15 PM

Has so many features since stone age. Has so many options, so many tools (than no one uses) yes, it is webkit too and drawn circles around Safari out of the box, no need to pimp, no broken extensions with any update, but?

I don't think the money (it is shareware) is a problem.
Maybe the next update will be as massive as the mobile version
Just my thoughts

Best.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jan 18, 2011, 03:16 PM

It won't take off.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 18, 2011, 03:48 PM

Just out of curiosity, since I haven't used iCab in ages, what does it offer as a Webkit browser that Chrome or Safari don't?

ChrisF
Senior User
Jan 18, 2011, 04:28 PM

Bottom line is that the other free browsers are good enough. As a result, people will generally be unwilling to pay for something that might be incrementally better.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 19, 2011, 07:09 AM

Hello, ladies, look at your man, now back to me, now back at your man, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped using ladies scented body wash and switched to Old Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re on a boat with the man your man could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an oyster with two tickets to that thing you love. Look again, the tickets are now diamonds. Anything is possible when your man smells like Old Spice and not a lady.

That's the difference between your man, Safari, and iCab. Should we talk about its iOS versions, the gap is bigger than besson3c's insane forum activity.

I’m on a horse.

IronPen
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 20, 2011, 01:38 PM

On occasion I have tried iCab. The interface was never pleasing to me. No matter how many power-features it has, and I am a fan of power-features, I cannot warm up to it. At this point I am really not sure what it offers that other browsers don't as far as features. I know it was still supporting older hardware for a while, so that was a benefit to those still on the GX processors. But I don't know if there is another reason to not use Safari, Chrome, Camino, Opera or Firefox. Having said that, I think competition is a good thing. But charging for a browser when there are so many other powerful, mature browsers out there, most people won't use iCab. It has a niche and that's great. It just isn't for everyone.
MacBook C2D 2.0GHz/Combo/2GB RAM

Forum Links
Forum Rules