Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Who else thinks the CS3 interface is meh?

Who else thinks the CS3 interface is meh?
iMOTOR
Mac Elite
May 9, 2007, 07:26 PM

I'll have to get used to it eventually, but there's something about the new interface that rubs me the wrong way. It almost seems windows xp-ish, especially since they moved the close button on tool palattes to the right.

I appreciate the fact that they have homogenized the interface across the product line, making it easier mentally to go from one app to another. But I miss the Mac OS tool palettes, it seemed like they were more dual display friendly.

Am I being resistant to change, or is this a case of If it's not broke, don't fix it?

voiceofra
Forum Regular
May 10, 2007, 02:31 AM

I didn't find it all that different from CS2. The transition was easy.

andi*pandi
May 10, 2007, 11:18 AM

I haven't worked in it, but from what I can see I like how the palettes (oops, panels) condense.

glypht
Forum Regular
May 10, 2007, 12:42 PM

Dual displays are so 1990s, man…

Gigantic 16:9 LCDs are where it's at these days. I recently ditched my second monitor when I switched to a 23inch* LCD, I was tired of neck cramps from constantly twitching my head from left to right, not to mention the extra mileage I was putting on my mouse.

I am not the only person I know in this job who has ditched 'Screen 2' since going widescreen LCD, and the CS3 interface, IMHO, has been refined with this in mind; everything has been optimised for single screen work.

Personally I think that the interface is CS3 is a tremendous improvement, even if it comes with a hefty pricetag.

(* I know, 23inches isn't hee-yooge, but it's the biggest LCD available for professional colour retouching)

art_director
Professional Poster
May 10, 2007, 06:07 PM

Thus far I'm quite pleased with CS3. I've heard much grumbling about the GUI changes but I rather like them.

I've unwisely begun using it in my workflow. I know, it's dangerous but that's how I learn best with new apps -- by doing rather than by reading.

Go ahead, call me a wreckless risk taker.

Evoken
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 10, 2007, 08:07 PM

The CS3 interface is a great improvement, It is very flexible and streamlines the use of the different panels with it's auto collapse function. I like it.

Evo

glypht
Forum Regular
May 11, 2007, 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by art_director View Post
Go ahead, call me a wreckless risk taker.
You're a wreckless risk taker.

art_director
Professional Poster
May 11, 2007, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by glypht View Post
You're a wreckless risk taker.

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
May 11, 2007, 04:11 PM

I'm coming from CS but overall I think the interface is an improvement to what I have been dealing with. A lot cleaner and easier to move around in.
Michael

Demonhood
Administrator
May 12, 2007, 03:57 AM

i used the PS beta extensively and i grew quite attached to the new docking style palettes. just got the premium suite and i'm still liking it.

now, if you said the icons were "meh", i'd wholeheartedly agree with you. i replaced them with Adam Betts' creations before i even loaded up the apps for the first time.

MacBurg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 12, 2007, 05:13 AM

It just pisses me off how the palettes pop out when you have them hidden, I press tab to hide them to increase screen space while doing a specific edit, go to get a ruler and the damn tool palette always pops out. I wish this feature could be turned off, please someone tell me it can be switched off?

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
May 13, 2007, 03:25 PM

The thing I like most about CS3 is the cleaner interface and collapsible panels BUT I am very disappointed that so much of it still feels dated with tiny tiny buttons with important menu options.

On large monitors (which most CS owners have) it is almost a joke.

chirpy22
Jun 4, 2007, 12:19 PM

Also, the Dreamweaver interface sucks in comparison to the rest of the apps. Why didn't Adobe update it to match?

tiger
Forum Regular
Jun 5, 2007, 12:05 AM

The interface isn't that bad, although Aqua would look better than Vista Clone. It also works great with wide screens, I use 23 Inch cinemas for design work and they work great with CS3.
iBook 12" 500MHz 576MB
iMac G4 17" 1GHz (USB 2.0) 2GB 80GB SATA HD
MacBook 1.83GHz 2GB
MacBook Pro 15" 2.4GHz 4GB

Forum Links
Forum Rules