Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > What is a 'Core Gamer' ?

What is a 'Core Gamer' ?
is not
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 6, 2010, 03:43 PM

To me, It’s funny because everyone always has a different definition of ‘core gamer’. I think somehow core gamers all-of-a-sudden got almost pigeonholed as people who only want to kill people.” - Microsoft’s Kudo Tsunoda

What is a 'core gamer' for you?

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 6, 2010, 03:45 PM

Not just people, zombies as well.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 6, 2010, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by is not View Post
What is a 'core gamer' for you?
The people kicking my ass in deathmatch.

P
Sep 6, 2010, 04:22 PM

Penny Aracde nails it again.

MS: If you can't win, redefine the meaning of "win".
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 6, 2010, 04:35 PM

Off the top of my head, a core gamer likely has some of the following traits:

Buys (or rents) several games a year
Preorders games
Enjoys online mutliplayer
Is more competitive than casual
Cares about achievements/trophies
Plays several hours a week (Their console never goes untouched for long stretches)
Owns more than one system

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 6, 2010, 05:07 PM

Addicted
- physically and mentally dependent on a particular substance, and unable to stop taking it without incurring adverse effects.
- enthusiastically devoted to a particular thing or activity.

It is a complete rebrand of the previously accepted term 'addicted' for distancing reasons. A safe solution yet a great departure.

To me, It’s funny because everyone always has a different definition of ‘core gamer’. I think somehow core gamers all-of-a-sudden got almost pigeonholed as people who only want to kill people.” - Microsoft’s Kudo Tsunoda
It is not funny. It is simple. By doing away with explanation, you make room for imagination.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 6, 2010, 05:14 PM

Even if you play nothing but Wii kiddie games, but keep up on industry news, and are consistently playing those console games I would consider you a core gamer. A core gamer, to me, is simply a gamer.

A gamer is someone who, when given spare time, chooses to play video games.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Sep 7, 2010, 02:14 AM

a gamer with 6-pack abs

Brien
Professional Poster
Sep 7, 2010, 03:06 AM

I'd consider myself a 'core gamer'. I have all 3 consoles, and enjoy playing them on my downtime. However real life keeps me from playing 24/7. I think the term hardcore gamer would be more apt for those people, e.g. the people who can kill you instantly in online play because they play ALL DAY.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Sep 7, 2010, 05:29 AM

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 7, 2010, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by angelmb View Post
Addicted
- physically and mentally dependent on a particular substance, and unable to stop taking it without incurring adverse effects.
- enthusiastically devoted to a particular thing or activity.
That's a complete overreaction. Using the second definition, pretty much every person on the planet is going qualify as an addict of something, which completely negates the usefulness of the term. Doesn't someone with a hobby qualify for the second definition?

A better adjective is "fanatic." I suppose you could trot that out as a negative term if you really want to, but no one looks down on sports fans with the same kind of disdain that gamers get. Gaming is a hobby. A gamer is someone who participates in the hobby. A core gamer is a fan.

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Even if you play nothing but Wii kiddie games, but keep up on industry news, and are consistently playing those console games I would consider you a core gamer. A core gamer, to me, is simply a gamer.
A core gamer is a gamer, but a gamer is not necessarily a core gamer.

****, SAT flashbacks.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 7, 2010, 01:39 PM

I simply think 'gamer' is a good enough adjective on it's own.

I hate to try and categorize things for no real reason, but to me there are only three tiers of gaming.

1: Casual Gamer - Plays once and a while and sticks towards the more user-friendly approachable games like Wii Sports. Most likely does not buy a new system when it comes out.

2: Gamer - Plays in spare time, considers gaming a hobby. Game style doesn't matter as long as games are bought with some regularity. Wants the latest hardware.

3: Hardcore Gamer - Owns multiple systems and lots of games, some that might not even get played for a while (Dakar I'm looking at you). Jumps on new systems and prefers highly competitive games that require good eye-hand coordination. Neglects other activities in lieu of gaming.

I fall mostly in the third category, my only non-hardcore tendency is that I do not buy many games. I see a player like Adam Betts has tons of 360 games, probably triple my collection, but he does not play very often. Where as I tend to suck a game dry and not buy many games. I'm sure I forgot tons of situations for all three, but that's just how I see the gaming demographics laid out.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 7, 2010, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
(Dakar I'm looking at you)
Once again, it was a situation I was put in by Amazon. If they're order bonuses didn't expire I'd probably have bought zero games until now.

Hater.

LoneStar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 28, 2010, 11:15 AM

According to sek's tiers I consider myself a little more than #2. I've never considered myself a hardcore gamer, but I know a lot of casual gamers who probably consider me more of a hardcore gamer.

Forum Links
Forum Rules