Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Facebook Friend Requests

View Poll Results: Facebook Friends
Poll Options:
As many as I can get. 0 votes (0%)
Friends of a close friend are cool. 6 votes (40.00%)
Only people in my circle of friends. 6 votes (40.00%)
Only people in my triangle of friends. 2 votes (13.33%)
Only family 1 votes (6.67%)
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll
Facebook Friend Requests (Page 2)
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 19, 2010, 06:16 PM

Yeah, NN is biased against public polls. Maybe someone is a prude and misread it as pubic.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Oct 19, 2010, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post
One time someone from the other side of the country who I had never met sent me a friend request purely because we had the same name.
I did that once. There's only one other person on Facebook with my name, so I friended him. Unfortunately he's way cooler than me and always posts pictures of himself with hot girls out surfing and stuff like that. I occasionally see on my feed "[Laminar] was tagged in some pictures" and I get excited because they look awesome but then I realize it's not me.

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
What I actually use FB for:

1. Posting smarmy remarks to people I say smarmy things to in person
Absolutely.
( Last edited by Laminar; Oct 19, 2010 at 08:27 PM. )

iMOTOR  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2010, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Yeah, NN is biased against public polls. Maybe someone is a prude and misread it as pubic.
The default option should be public and make you opt-in to private polls.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 19, 2010, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar
Unfortunately he's way cooler than me and always posts pictures of himself with hot girl out surfing and stuff like that.
Oh, I didn’t know you and IceEnclosure had the same name … cool.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 19, 2010, 07:54 PM

Your poll lacks an option for my situation. I go with most family members and with real friends.

I have re-made contact with a number of high school friends and a number of relatives through Facebook. But I haven't accepted all of the requests from folks I knew in high school because I wasn't actually "friends" with them. I originally joined Facebook to keep up with classmates from grad school, but now that I've been using it a while, it's turned out to be quite helpful in keeping contact with a lot more people than that. Now my dad is on Facebook and he's friends with my wife's sisters and several of my wife's friends. It's cool, if a little weird.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Person Man
Professional Poster
Oct 19, 2010, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Your poll lacks an option for my situation. I go with most family members and with real friends.

I have re-made contact with a number of high school friends and a number of relatives through Facebook. But I haven't accepted all of the requests from folks I knew in high school because I wasn't actually "friends" with them. I originally joined Facebook to keep up with classmates from grad school, but now that I've been using it a while, it's turned out to be quite helpful in keeping contact with a lot more people than that. Now my dad is on Facebook and he's friends with my wife's sisters and several of my wife's friends. It's cool, if a little weird.
I also go mostly with family members and real friends, but I also have a substantial list of "people I went to school with" as well. I suspect most of the people who add me as a friend from high school are looking "to see what ol' [Person Man] is up to these days," but now I get notification of high school reunion events, which is nice.

One thing which I never, ever, anticipated when I joined Facebook was being apologized to by people that bullied me in middle school/high school. I had three people express apologies to me for the way I was treated. This was for stuff that happened 20-25 years ago. I guess people do grow up and experience remorse for how they treated some people.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Oct 19, 2010, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
As long as we've met somewhere (including here), I'll accept your facebook friend request. However, you may get dropped quickly as well.

If you get too political-nutso (either end of the spectrum) you get the boot as well.

Due to the ministry nature of my work, I often feel compelled to accept friend requests. Ironically, I legally can't post really anything about what I do for a living on facebook.
I will accept Facebook requests from people I only know online, but I have to have a fairly long history with them in chat rooms, etc.

I also remove people whose status updates are primarily ultra-political in nature, regardless of where they are on the political spectrum (though most of the people on my list tend to be on the opposite end of the political spectrum from me).

As a physician I have to be careful about what I say about my job on Facebook. Obviously anything specific about patients is a BIG no-no, but I can make general comments about things that irritate me about the job (such as dealing with insurance companies). I also have one very hard and fast rule. I do not accept friend requests from patients. Period. Most of the time they get the hint when I ignore their requests. I have had to block a few of the persistent ones, though.

Forum Links
Forum Rules