Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > 20" Cinema Display causes unexpected shut down?

20" Cinema Display causes unexpected shut down?
andrewbw
Mar 21, 2003, 11:50 PM

Has anyone experienced this?

I recently got a 20" Cinema Display, which I've been extremely happy with. No complaints, no problems. It's connected to a Dual 1GHz Quicksilver (2002) with a retail ATI Radeon 9000.

Background for the uninitiated: The power button on these monitors is a touch sensitive pad. Normally it glows dimly. If you touch it, it gets brighter, and the computer goes to sleep (or, if it's already asleep, it wakes up.) If you hold the button in for a while, the computer shuts down, just like if you hold in the power button on the front of any Apple tower.

So I'm working on my machine tonight, and I notice that suddenly the power button light goes to full intensity all by itself (as if it had been touched) -- Then POOF! The computer shuts down, but the power light on the Cinema Display continues to glow full intensity! I touch it repeatedly, nothing happens. I try turning on the computer with the button on the front of the machine itself, and it powers up, bongs, then immediately shuts down.

I climb under my desk, disconnect the ADC cable from the computer, wait a few seconds, plug it back in -- SAME THING. The button immediately glows full, computer shuts down right after starting up. I pull the ADC cable out again, wait longer, plug it back in... and everything is back to normal. The button doesn't glow until I touch it to start up the computer, and it behaves normally ever since (about half an hour ago. I tried putting it to sleep and waking it using the button several times in a row).

Any clues? Should I be worried? Has anyone else with a Cinema Display experienced something like this?
I'm not wearing any pants.

Leonis
Senior User
Mar 22, 2003, 12:40 AM

Yeap....my very first 20" had the same problem.....I mentioned that back to a month ago in the 20"ACD related threads.

Random shut down like 5x a day

I had to return it to get a replacement.
MacPro 2.66, 5GB RAM, 250GB + 160GB HDs, 23" Cinema Display
MacBook Pro 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM (from work)
MacBook (White) 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM

andrewbw  (op)
Mar 22, 2003, 02:05 AM

Hey Leonis, thanks for the speedy reply. Not what I wanted to hear, of course Did yours exhibit the same symptoms? (power button glowing "high" without touching it, only unplugging the display would reset it, etc.)

Since I posted my message, it did it once more, but only put the comptuer to sleep instead of shutting it down. I'm at somewhat of a loss -- it worked fine for three weeks, now suddenly it starts doing this. Bizarre.

Ah well. I'll call Apple on Monday, see what they have to say.

-A.
I'm not wearing any pants.

Morpheus
Forum Regular
Mar 22, 2003, 04:19 AM

Originally posted by andrewbw:
So I'm working on my machine tonight, and I notice that suddenly the power button light goes to full intensity all by itself (as if it had been touched) -- Then POOF! The computer shuts down, but the power light on the Cinema Display continues to glow full intensity!
Some time ago I had this with a new 17" Studio Display out of the box. You'll have to take it back.

fortran
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 28, 2003, 10:10 AM

I am having the same problem with the new cinema display that I have got. Seems that its a problem with the cinema display series.Will have to see what apple say about this.

A very displeased customer of the apple cinema display

Dan D.
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 30, 2003, 04:04 PM

I'm having a similar problem with my 17" Studio Display and the touch-sensitive Brightness/Contrast button. Fortunately, this is a less serious problem than with the power button, but it certainly has to be a similar cause. I fear mine will need to be exchanged soon.

Forum Links
Forum Rules