Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Is the genie effect slower in 10.4?

Is the genie effect slower in 10.4?
dfbennett
Mac Enthusiast
May 3, 2005, 04:06 PM

So I got Tiger yesterday (a suprisingly speedy thing through the Apple Maintenence Program) and I installed it on my iMac. Works pretty well, though a few random Safari crashes, and beachballs. The one system thing that seems much slower than in 10.3 is the animation when you minimize a window, with either the genie or scale effect. It just seems choppy. Has anyone else noticed this? Any ideas if this is a bug or something that can be fixed? I noticed 10.3 would occasionally do this (usually after I had opened Virtual PC) but it was never this pronounced.
thanks for any tips.
Regards,
Dave

Taipan
Dedicated MacNNer
May 3, 2005, 04:30 PM

Hi!

Hm, my impression is that it is faster...

DeRobeHer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 3, 2005, 04:32 PM

I noticed that the geenie effect and expose all-windows were slower when my Spotlight index was building, but now that it's done, everything is at least as fast as it used to be.
--
Donald Roeber
Generating 2048 bits of randomness...

dfbennett  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 3, 2005, 05:08 PM

interesting. I'm noticing my Expose for all windows is slower, but I don't believe my spotlight is indexing. When I click the spotlight icon it doesn't mention indexing so can I assume that it's not currently indexing?
Regards,
Dave

BearOso
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 3, 2005, 07:39 PM

I noticed both of the things you suggested. Lagging menu-bar highlighting also. This is odd, because, except for these, things are generally faster in Tiger.

See if 10.4.1 fixes it, maybe?

dfbennett  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 3, 2005, 09:33 PM

hmm so call me crazy, but it seems like my genie effect is now normal speed. The Expose all windows still seems slightly slower but otherwise fine. I think the only thing I did was repair permissions. Maybe spotlight was still indexing afterall.
Regards,
Dave

BearOso
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 3, 2005, 10:47 PM

No, there's definitely a video memory leak somewhere. I'm writing an OpenGL application, and I can clearly see it stall and stutter during the first second as it swaps in its own textures, something it definitely did not do in Panther.

Spotlight indexing has been abused as an excuse for many of Tiger's bugs, but it's not the end-all reason. Tiger has bugs, and the more known they are, the sooner they get fixed. Don't second-guess yourself.

Peabo
Senior User
May 3, 2005, 10:56 PM

I think it's because Quartz 2D Extreme is disabled by default in 10.4.0
You can enable it by doing it in Quartz Debug then force quitting the app & restarting the computer :]
LC 16Mhz • LC 475 25Mhz • Centris 650 25Mhz • Performa 6200/75Mhz • G3 266Mhz • Snow iMac DVSE 500Mhz
G4 QS 733Mhz • 17" Powerbook 1.33Ghz • 15" MacBook Pro Core Duo 2.16Ghz • Mac Pro 8-Core 3.0 Ghz

danny_gasperini
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 3, 2005, 11:38 PM

The Expos� effect is DEFINATELY slower in 10.4 than 10.3. Most every other UI elemn is fatser though.

Panther uses a Window Server for managing dock zoom, genie effects and Expos�, which takes up a fair whack of CPU cycles when one of these effects is activated. Tiger no longer has a Window Server and therefore draws much less CPU cycles for any of these effects.

leperkuhn
Senior User
May 4, 2005, 12:29 AM

Maybe YOU got upgraded to a faster version of yourself, and relatively the genie effect seems slower. Yes?
( Last edited by leperkuhn; May 4, 2005 at 12:30 AM. Reason: typo)

moki
Ambrosia - el Presidente
May 4, 2005, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by z0ne81
I think it's because Quartz 2D Extreme is disabled by default in 10.4.0
You can enable it by doing it in Quartz Debug then force quitting the app & restarting the computer :]
While it's true that Quartz 2D Extreme is disabled by default, it should not affect the speed of the genie effect nor the speed of Expos�. Quartz Extreme is still enabled... if this slowdown is real (I have not noticed it), it is something else causing it, not Quartz 2D Extreme being off by default.

Sidenote: I turned Quartz 2D Extreme on, and it does amazing things for window resizing in Safari and other programs... which is a bit surprising, given the nature of the bottleneck for window resizing.
Andrew Welch / el Presidente / Ambrosia Software, Inc.

dfbennett  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 4, 2005, 05:40 PM

thanks for all the responses.
My genie effect seems normal speed now (as I said before) and the Expose Desktop seems 10.3 speed, but the all windows is still slower. It's very very odd. If there is a bug as some are suggesting then perhaps it'll get fixed in 10.4.1
As for the Quartz Debug and enabling 2d quartz extreme, where is the quartz debug app and are there any negative repercussions of enabling 2d quartz extreme on my hardware (1ghz iMac G4, 64mb GeForce 4MX)?
Regards,
Dave

moki
Ambrosia - el Presidente
May 4, 2005, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by dfbennett
As for the Quartz Debug and enabling 2d quartz extreme, where is the quartz debug app and are there any negative repercussions of enabling 2d quartz extreme on my hardware (1ghz iMac G4, 64mb GeForce 4MX)?
You'll need to install the developer tools -- called "Xcode" on the MacOS X Tiger DVD. Then look in /Developer/Applications/ for Quartz Debug... launch it, and you can turn on Quartz 2D Extreme from the menu bar. You'll need to relaunch programs if they are already running for them to take advantage of this new setting.

I am unsure if this setting is remembered from reboot to reboot.
Andrew Welch / el Presidente / Ambrosia Software, Inc.

LeeG
Grizzled Veteran
May 4, 2005, 08:08 PM

I actually find the genie to be maybe not faster, but 'smoother' - can't explain it, it's just quick and smooth in Tiger - looks great.

L
iPhone 3G 16Gb
24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo iMac, 4GB/320GB/256MB
12" AlBook 1Ghz/768Mb/80Gb/Combo/AX

astralfx
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 4, 2005, 08:46 PM

mine is mac mini 1.42GHz 1GB ram... i didn't notice any lacking here... it works fine to me

Tyre MacAdmin
Mac Elite
May 4, 2005, 09:12 PM

Actually everything is slower on my computer... G4 Digital Audio... moving windows, resizing windows... and I've got a bug in expose. I'm not sure what the issues is with mine... but a memory leak seems to be a real possibility. Like i said everything is slower on Tiger than it was on Panther.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
May 4, 2005, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by danny_gasperini
The Expos� effect is DEFINATELY slower in 10.4 than 10.3. Most every other UI elemn is fatser though.

Panther uses a Window Server for managing dock zoom, genie effects and Expos�, which takes up a fair whack of CPU cycles when one of these effects is activated. Tiger no longer has a Window Server and therefore draws much less CPU cycles for any of these effects.
Doesn't seem any slower for me...

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
May 4, 2005, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by moki
You'll need to install the developer tools -- called "Xcode" on the MacOS X Tiger DVD. Then look in /Developer/Applications/ for Quartz Debug... launch it, and you can turn on Quartz 2D Extreme from the menu bar. You'll need to relaunch programs if they are already running for them to take advantage of this new setting.

I am unsure if this setting is remembered from reboot to reboot.
I gave this a try. I didn't really see any significant difference. May have been a bit faster, but not blazing. Safari has always resized pretty well for me. Couldn't see any difference resizing Keynote windows. (Yes, I restarted the apps after enabling Q2DE).

Forum Links
Forum Rules