Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > The Great Debate: Nano or Video?

The Great Debate: Nano or Video?
foenix
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 9, 2005, 04:54 PM

Hi All,

Been reading the forums for a while and I am certianly loving the community so i decided to also join this community. I've saved up a little cash and I have been debating this issue for quite a while. Now, In Canada I am eligable to recive a Educational discount which results in these two price points:

Apple Nano (4 gig)
$279.00

Apple Video (30 gig)
$345.00

*All in Canadian Figure

Now to give an idea from where im comming from I already own a Dell Dj 20 gig model, but am looking to shy away from the brick size and constant looks of a miniture bomb located in my pocket.

The question resides as this: If i purchase the nano which is a good 70 dollers cheaper would i have regrets number one, and is there really any main advantage to getting the 30 gig model if i already have the Dell Dj.

A quick calculation states that at AAC format the Nano holds about 80 albums of 11 tracks (based on "A Rush Of Blood To The Head-Coldplay)

I belive that 80 ALbums is more then enough, but with circulating problems with the nano design, is it worth the extra 70 bucks for more space but bigger size and video?

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 9, 2005, 05:03 PM

Sell the DJ and buy the iPod video unless you really think you need the added portability of the nano (e.g. if you want to use it jogging a lot). The video is a really nice extra feature, assuming you own some DVDs you can rip or otherwise have access to iPod-compatible video files.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Nov 9, 2005, 05:46 PM

If you don't need the capacity, nor the video functionality, nor the ability to hook it up to a TV, nor the audio recording ability, get the nano.

No hard drive means no moving parts == much greater reliability.

The scratching issue should be solved by now. I am not aware of any other design problems.

Also, order yourself a skin from www.theinvisibleshield.com (reviews in this forum).

The nano is the most insanely desirable little thing Apple have ever made IMO. I wanted one the second I had it in my grubby little paws.
I waited for the 60 GB video because I need the capacity, and the recording ability, and the video/TV capability will come in very handy.

foenix  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 9, 2005, 06:17 PM

Many Thanks for the very quick responses.
When thinking about the Nano my first reaction was the scracting issue and was already planning to purchase and invisable shield or one of the two-part skins, can;t remeber off hand who manufactures them. Now, I've been expirmenting with the video conversion on the PC, im impressed but for thoose who do have the video could i possibly ask one quick question. It's prob. a difficult question to ask but..

How many times do you actually sit down and watch video on your iPod?

The Nano is taking the lead in my books, hopefully the scratching issue is solved by now, which i belive it should be.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 9, 2005, 06:24 PM

Video!

analogika
Posting Junkie
Nov 9, 2005, 06:48 PM

My job involves hanging around with people in lounges or hotel rooms, which often have TVs, so the video feature is of interest to me not for the iPod's screen.

Though I'm sure I'll be watching the occasional episode of Abfab, Batman, or the Prisoner, Simpsons, Futurama, etc. on there...

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Nov 9, 2005, 06:50 PM

I went for a 4BG Nano - (before the Video was announced.)

It's very nice and small - but its capacity is too small.

I wouldn't use the video part of the video iPod - but in retrospect, I would rather have the video iPod, simply due to the massive increase in storage for not much more money.

wilsonng
Senior User
Nov 9, 2005, 07:03 PM

As a music player, if you like to listen to complete albums, the iPod is the way to go. However, if you are more of a music-singles person, the nano is better.

Apple doesn't provide you with an easy-to-use program to convert your DVDs to iPod video. However, you can use Handbrake to make them for you.

The nano is better for workout since it uses flash memory to store its music. No more moving hard drive. The video iPod isn't great for workouts since the hard drive has to spin every once in a while to load up the next song.

I have a 20GB iPod photo for long road trips/complet album sessions and the nano for the times when I just want to break down and listen to hit singles. Of course, the video iPod is in my near future circa December 25th (or so my wife has hinted at).

I like both of them for different reasons. I have both for different reasons

I like belt clips so I went and bought the ToughSkin case which has a belt clip to hold my iPods. I like leaving my pockets empty and I wouldn't want to leave the iPod in the same pocket as my keys or other junk. Putting the nano or iPod in my shirt pocket is not an option. Sometimes it might slip out and hit the floor.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Nov 9, 2005, 07:07 PM

Well, the video iPod has an audio recording feature that looks to be actually decent from Apple's spec page (44.1 KHz stereo!). The trouble is that this feature can't be immediately used, because Apple broke all the existing microphone adapters from Belkin and Griffin by removing the remote port, and there don't seem to be any new adapters available. They are doing this just to mock us, it feels like...

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

foenix  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 9, 2005, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesS
Well, the video iPod has an audio recording feature that looks to be actually decent from Apple's spec page (44.1 KHz stereo!). The trouble is that this feature can't be immediately used, because Apple broke all the existing microphone adapters from Belkin and Griffin by removing the remote port, and there don't seem to be any new adapters available. They are doing this just to mock us, it feels like...

Sorry I'm a bit new to the iPod scene, are you saying that you need an external mic to record audio? If so, then that doesn't really appeal to me as i have plenty of stuff to carry already

The 20gig Dell was good for me, but i noticed during jogging, working out and just plain walking to and from school it was just too heavy. Now the reason i am considering the 30 gig is because it from the dimensions is really smaller then my Dell, which tops 7.7 oz

Mind you the Dell has a Built-In mic recording at a whopping.....44.1 KHz
(from what i belive...but highly doubt...used it like twice, sounded like crap....Dell Liers...)

analogika
Posting Junkie
Nov 9, 2005, 07:47 PM

Yes, you need an external microphone.

Only makes sense this way. Recording is only of interest to maybe 20% of users, and maybe a third of those are interested in a dictaphone, with the rest more interested in something that doesn't sound like crap (not to knock people who only need dictaphone quality). Include a microphone == slap $40 on the price for a feature that's crap and of interest to few.

Belkin is apparently working on a decent external solution.

I'll be waiting anxiously - sound-board and rehearsal recording at decent quality is one of my primary interests.

wilsonng
Senior User
Nov 9, 2005, 09:17 PM

Oftenttimes, built-in-mikes are usually crappy quality anyways. I've never been very impressed by alot of the internal mikes in laptops, computers, and recording devices I've played with. I'd prefer an external mike solution. At least I would have the choice to choose a mike that best suited my purposes and find one that is more sensitive to sound. If I want a better mike, I can always pay extra for it.

klamyfeat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 9, 2005, 09:44 PM

Great question Foenix.....I was debating the same issues as you and I still can't decide.

I recently visited a local Apple Store which further complicated matters.

The Nano and video iPod were both beautiful. I liked the proportions of the video iPod ('stout' more than 'slender') more so than the Nano but I still think both are stunning. Both had an incredibily solid feel but I kept thinking, why should I buy a hard-drive iPod? The future is flash and isn't it already in the Nano? Plus, do I really need 30GB of music at one time? Am I that lazy that I can't refresh my library once every blue moon? Is watching video on a tiny screen that important especially since I already have a 12" PB? Yes, maybe, no....

It's so hard to say no to the video iPod even though the Nano has got flash. The big bright screen and so much more capacity. Nano, video iPod. Nano, video iPod....such a toss up. Too bad Apple is spot on with it's pricing points too. For $60 more (4GB to 30GB) you get way more storage, a big screen, ect....doh! I hate you Apple for designing too many products I want!

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 10, 2005, 02:18 AM

If portability is more important get the Nano.
If you want tons of storage and video get the 30.

Personally I had a 3rd gen 15 gig that I got rid of because I thought it was too large.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Nov 10, 2005, 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by analogika
Belkin is apparently working on a decent external solution.
Where did you find this information? I would be very interested in this.

Although, part of me is skeptical because the words "Belkin" and "decent" are in the same sentence. Have you heard anything about whether Griffin is working on anything like this?

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

analogika
Posting Junkie
Nov 10, 2005, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by wilsonng
Oftenttimes, built-in-mikes are usually crappy quality anyways. I've never been very impressed by alot of the internal mikes in laptops, computers, and recording devices I've played with. I'd prefer an external mike solution. At least I would have the choice to choose a mike that best suited my purposes and find one that is more sensitive to sound. If I want a better mike, I can always pay extra for it.
Exactly.

Building one in just adds cost - and above all, bulk - for all other owners.

macwayne
Forum Regular
Nov 10, 2005, 08:13 AM

I have the 60gig white iPod video and couldn't be happier.
I think it's just as sleek as the Nano (though a bit bigger) yet still smaller than the 4G model.
I haven't had any skipping issues and I like the idea that any point in time I can choose
any song I have from my 23Gig selection. This baby rocks!!!!

analogika
Posting Junkie
Nov 10, 2005, 09:03 AM

Where did you find this information? I would be very interested in this.

Although, part of me is skeptical because the words "Belkin" and "decent" are in the same sentence. Have you heard anything about whether Griffin is working on anything like this?
Mentioned either in the pcmag review or the iLounge review. I believe it was the pcmag.com one.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 10, 2005, 04:06 PM

I just got the Black iPod. It's SWEET!!!! I didn't think I'd like the video as much as I do but it's a nice "feature" to have. People in my Office have been oogling it and have said they will probably buy one because this is what they have been waiting for.

<Waits patiently for cases to come out>
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Nov 11, 2005, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by analogika
Exactly.

Building one in just adds cost - and above all, bulk - for all other owners.
While adding a built-in mic is indeed unnecessary, I wouldn't mind seeing a built-in microphone port.

Seeing as how, you know, then I wouldn't have to wait forever for these third-party products to be released...

foenix  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 11, 2005, 04:08 PM

I'd Like to thank you all for your quick responses and great information. As a result I am waiting till Christmas season and am full of content as my sister bombarded my room today asking that she wanted to purchase a Nano. You all know what this mean... So i belive i will be picking up the 30 gig Black video iPod and when needed, stealing the nano.

As the mic issue..a mic port would be good, also a video camera...mmmm....video..

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2005, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by tphoon
<Waits patiently for cases to come out>
If I were you, and no, I don't work for them, I'd get the InvisibleShield. I'm sure you want your iPod's inner beauty to shine .
Linkinus is king.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Nov 11, 2005, 08:18 PM

While adding a built-in mic is indeed unnecessary, I wouldn't mind seeing a built-in microphone port.

Seeing as how, you know, then I wouldn't have to wait forever for these third-party products to be released...
Line-in port would be great.

Mic-in port would be bad. added bulk and cost for a solution as half-assed as a built-in mic (seeing as the necesary mic pre-amp is a substantial part of the sound - and cost)...

Forum Links
Forum Rules