Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Can I plug a Windows iPod into my PowerBook?

Can I plug a Windows iPod into my PowerBook?
fobside
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2006, 02:21 PM

I know Windows likes to automatically format devices with file systems it does not recognize, but how are the Windows iPods formatted? Can I plug one into my PowerBook to dump some files onto it? Can I use it like a regular iPod on my PowerBook?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jan 12, 2006, 05:45 PM

It'll work 100%.

tooki

fobside  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2006, 05:49 PM

Does that mean I can make it function like a regular iPod on my PowerBook as well?

dreamryche
Forum Regular
Jan 18, 2006, 01:34 AM

Windows-formatted iPods use FAT32 and work fine with Macs. The only issue that I've seen is that you can't update a Windows iPod's software on a Mac without doing a full restore.

jaimzedup
Forum Regular
Jan 18, 2006, 02:30 PM

Does this work in the other direction? That is, will my Mac formatted nano work fine on a PC? I'm asking because I will be using my nano mainly with a PC in the near future.

If not, what do I have to do to the nano to make it compatible with the PC? Thanks.

-James

volcano
Senior User
Jan 19, 2006, 02:22 AM

Originally Posted by jaimzedup
Does this work in the other direction? That is, will my Mac formatted nano work fine on a PC? I'm asking because I will be using my nano mainly with a PC in the near future.

If not, what do I have to do to the nano to make it compatible with the PC? Thanks.

-James
As bizarre as it may sound, the answer to this question is no. Mac's don't format iPods in FAT32 form, so it won't be recognizable on a Windows PC.

To make it compatible, you can just re-format your iPod on your Windows computer. Plug it in to your Windows machine, go to the 'iPod updater' software, and click 'Reformat'. Unfortunately, this means that all your files will be erased - but re-syncing a Nano shouldn't take too long.

Hope this helps.

jaimzedup
Forum Regular
Jan 19, 2006, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by volcano
As bizarre as it may sound, the answer to this question is no. Mac's don't format iPods in FAT32 form, so it won't be recognizable on a Windows PC.

To make it compatible, you can just re-format your iPod on your Windows computer. Plug it in to your Windows machine, go to the 'iPod updater' software, and click 'Reformat'. Unfortunately, this means that all your files will be erased - but re-syncing a Nano shouldn't take too long.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for the tip

dfbennett
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 22, 2006, 07:38 PM

Ok here's my situation. I've got a Nano and a mac and the girl I'd been seeing is getting a Nano but doesn't have a computer (weird I know; I guess her brother is going to load it up with songs for her). Anyhow, if I'm reading this right, I won't be able to upgrade the firmware on her nano on my mac but I can do it on any old Windows PC? Like I said I really don't get the purpose of having an iPod without owning a computer but whatever.
Regards,
Dave

Forum Links
Forum Rules