Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > can iphoto resize images/files?

can iphoto resize images/files?
drudman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 4, 2006, 11:55 AM

hi there. i am new to photo resizing, and need to resize some of my photos to a specific file size before i can post them to one of my web sites. does iphoto do this? i saw that i can constrain the file size, but i need to make some of my photos fit within a specific file size (e.g. 1MB, etc.) and iphoto doesn't clearly let me do that. any help would be great. thanks!

MacMatt
Forum Regular
Jun 4, 2006, 12:15 PM

Graphic Converter, PhotoShop, PhotoShop Elements are applications I use for what you want...I'm sure there are others, but my favorite is GC for resizing for the Web.

Dr. DDS
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 4, 2006, 01:10 PM

Yes, i photo can do that. In the menu bar choose SHARE and then Desktop or EMAIL. Then you choose the picture size.
14" ibook g4 /1,42Ghz/60Gb/1,5Gb RAM!

naphtali
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 4, 2006, 01:28 PM

You could also do it straight in Apple Mail by playing around with the file sizes after dragging it onto your email editor

Dr. DDS
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 4, 2006, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by naphtali
You could also do it straight in Apple Mail by playing around with the file sizes after dragging it onto your email editor
Yes, that's another way!! good point

bkpbc1
Jun 5, 2006, 08:07 PM

So iPhoto won't let you resize photos?

Dr. DDS
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 5, 2006, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by mascarafiend
So iPhoto won't let you resize photos?
Yes, i photo can do that. In the menu bar choose SHARE and then Desktop or EMAIL. Then you choose the picture size.

bkpbc1
Jun 5, 2006, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. DDS
I tried that. When I chose Desktop, it just made my Desktop the picture, and when I chose Email, it just put the picture in an email for me to send to someone.

Dr. DDS
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 6, 2006, 07:56 AM

Yes, i'm sorry, i'm used to work with photoshop beacause you can create a workflow in automator and let it resize photos all by itself. What you can do is SHARE > E-MAIL and save the attached file in the e-mail to a folder. I know it takes a little bit longer but is one way to do without installing other apps like MacMatt said. Or just do like Naphtali said too.

bkpbc1
Jun 6, 2006, 05:48 PM

I tried that... I suppose it could work, but it doesn't let me change the size to specific dimensions (just small, medium, or large - and the small was way smaller than I'd like). How could iPhoto not offer photo resizing? It just seems ridiculous.

Dr. DDS
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 6, 2006, 06:10 PM

Yes, you will be stuck in those sizes. I f you really want to customize you must have a photo editor app. As i said before i'm used with photoshop, but it's expensive... Try a google search.

Apfhex
Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2006, 07:29 PM

File -> Export. Select "Scale images no larger than: width x hight" and enter the pixel dimensions you want. You can do this to multiple images.

Ultimately an application like GraphicConverter is better for this. I always use Photoshop with my photos (that's what it's for) but I know it's a big and expensive app to get, and overkill for just this task.
( Last edited by Apfhex; Jun 6, 2006 at 07:35 PM. )
Mac OS X 10.5.0, Mac Pro 2.66GHz/2 GB RAM/X1900 XT, 23" ACD
esdesign

Dr. DDS
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 7, 2006, 10:32 PM

i didn't know that. thanks for sharing. i agree with you that photoshop is too much just to resize images, but its fantastic!!!

Cucucachoo
Jun 7, 2006, 11:13 PM

Check out ImageWell. I like it for a quick resize then upload to a server function.

http://xtralean.com/IWOverview.html
MacBook 2.16Ghz 13.3" with 4gig Ram 120gb HD
iBook G4 1.33ghz 12" with 1024MB Ram, 80gb HD, Dual-Layer SuperDrive
iBook G3 600mhz 12" with 640MB Ram, 60gb Hard Drive and a CD-R/RW-DVD drive Vist me at my blog

Forum Links
Forum Rules