Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Ahh, slugggish keyboard!! Please help

Ahh, slugggish keyboard!! Please help
flyhigh37
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 25, 2001, 02:43 PM

My keyboard has just recently become extremely sluggish. I have installed OS 9.2, as well as iTunes 2, but am not sure either of those have any direct relation. Right now the screen is only showing up the word "iTunes" from this message, so as you can imagine this is EXTREMELY frustrationg. Besides running my Mac with no extentions, what kind of fix can i make so that I can use my mac with all of its installed extensions, but not have this *&%$ sluggishness!! All help is tremenously apprecieted!
-flyer

flyhigh37  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 26, 2001, 02:20 AM

to add to the slowdown list: iTunes visuals are extremely slow, giving me a max of 5 fps, where I was previously getting as high as 40. Screen responsiveness (ie if I arrow down in a window) is also very slow. Occassionally I will get a period of time where things seem normal, but never for long. Also, immediately after startup things work snappily, but again, that soon changes after some normal useage (such as IE5 or AOL). hope someone has a tip, thanks!
-flyer

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Nov 26, 2001, 08:01 AM

boot your machine up without any extensions enabled. then restart it with small sets of extensions until the problem occurs. when it does, you'll know where to look for the cause of your problems.

-r.

<Greg Raven>
Nov 29, 2001, 01:45 PM

Originally posted by rjenkinson:
<STRONG>boot your machine up without any extensions enabled. then restart it with small sets of extensions until the problem occurs. when it does, you'll know where to look for the cause of your problems.

-r.</STRONG>
Good advice, but the problem seems more devious. I have been having the same problem since upgrading to 9.2.1 and the new iTunes and the new firmware release. Not only is typing slow in some programs, but other programs that launch normally right after start-up take nearly a minute to launch after a few minutes of computer operation. There are disk accesses going on when nothing seems to be causing them. And, large Find/Replace tasks can take forever. I tried zapping the PRAM, starting with bare minimum Apple extensions only, disconnecting from AirPort/LAN, and nothing helps. I really hope that someone at Apple has noticed this problem and is working on it. It is very annoying.

flyhigh37  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 29, 2001, 10:11 PM

Well, it's nice to hear that at least I am not the only one with this problem. Obviously it is isolated to a vast minority, so there must be some key similarities between my and Greg Raven's computers. I was wondering,and would love some advice, on whether or not the graphics card drivers may play a role in the mess? I hesitate to think so though since it really does seem like more of a processor slowdown (for instance, these words I am typing will often leave out a letter, even though the key was firmly pressed, indicating that the operating system dropped that command somewhere along the way, oppossed to merely a back-logged graphics card). Very irritating to live with, a fix must be found!!! thanks for all the opinions thus far
-flyer

Forum Links
Forum Rules