Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Will we see an updated MBP at the Jan 07 MacExpo?

Will we see an updated MBP at the Jan 07 MacExpo? (Page 2)
VicG
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 12, 2006, 11:02 AM

Hey any one hoping the next MBP update includes 512 MB Graphics chip (as in the Toshiba Satellite P100-ST9742) and that the 15" matches the 17" in all except, of course, screen size?

MattJeff
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 12, 2006, 08:44 PM

i would love it and those new 300 GB drives are sounding very nice

MattJeff
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 13, 2006, 08:49 PM

if a 200 4200 is still fine with speed would the 300 be even better?

VicG
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 4, 2007, 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by MattJeff View Post
if a 200 4200 is still fine with speed would the 300 be even better?
Hey there! Happy New Year! It's been a while since your post on this string - and mine for that matter.

If I understand you correctly, though hard drive size has some bearing on speed and being fine (i.e. the larger the drive the more territory to search through, generally the more time it takes) and though buffer/cache influences speed and being fine, speed has more to do with rpm and fine has alot to do with what you are using the drive for.

If you are working with high end graphics, video editing, I believe that 4200 rpm would be marginal if not insufficient to do that type of work regardless of the hard drive's size. Experts have lead me to understand that ideally the least you would want, rpm-wize, to work on high end graphics, animation, and video...and to play high-end graphics games on, would be a 7,200 rpm harddrive.

So far the biggest size I have seen on the market in 2.5"/"notebook" harddrives at 7,200 rpm is 100 GB. Perhaps 120-160 GB 7,200 rpm drives may be "around the corner". Till then, apparently the only solution to increasing the high speed (7,200 rpm) harddrive capacity beyond the 100 GB and maintaining mobility is building a portable computer with dual harddrives, like Alienware has done with one of their top models. Unfortunately (depending on your view) that would mean switching to a microsoft OS. Incidentally, Alienware still includes a built-in "superdrive".

Another incidental is that Alienware also makes it possible for you to order that model with 2 Nvidia graphics chips with 512MB VRAM each (total of about 1 GB vdeo ram) amongst other things. However, you do have to spend around 3,999.00 USD for that computer and it's quite heavy.

I'm not saying go and buy that computer, what I'm saying is, wouldn't it be cool of Apple would add such things (512 MB to 1 GB VRAM High-end graphics chip set and perhaps a dual 7,200 rpm 100 GB harddrive configuration without sacrificing a fast internal superdrive, in addition to a 4 GB + RAM capacity) to its MacBook Pro line in the next generation. Problem - that probably means they'll have to make the MacBook Pros a bit thicker and heavier. However, wouldn't those additions raise the "Pro" bar on the MacBook Pros nicely? Even if Apple were to forego a dual 7,200 rpm 100GB harddrive option to keep the MacBook Pro thinner, but add the other stuff mentioned above without sacrificing any of the other great stuff they already have, I think "these new" MacBook Pros would be a definite tour de force. I'm hoping. What's you're thought?

Dazed
Jan 4, 2007, 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by VicG View Post
Hey any one hoping the next MBP update includes 512 MB Graphics chip (as in the Toshiba Satellite P100-ST9742) and that the 15" matches the 17" in all except, of course, screen size?
Id love the 15 to share all except screen size with the 17. As it stands when I upgrade the 15 to as near the spec of the 17 as I can, its almost the same price!!

G. I.
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 4, 2007, 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by bloodline View Post
The problem is that the Vaio looks cheap, and wouldn't survive the rigours of hard touring... Aluminium is really good for harsh conditions!
Sure cheap, especially the VAIO SZ with carbon fiber housing and LED backlight...

Kamikaze
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 5, 2007, 01:26 AM

Forgert the 200-300gb drives, how about a 12"mbp with Sandisk's new 32gb flash drive, shipping to OEM's right now, Speed, battery life gains, no mechanicals, etc...
Free Your Mind

Macbook Pro CD, 2ghz, 1gb,100gb 7200, 128mb
Macbook (Black) CD, 2ghz, 1gb, 80gb, 64mb
12" iBook, 1.25ghz, 1.25gb, 60gb, 32mb
iMac (24" of Glory) C2D, 2.16ghz, 1gb, 250gb, 128mb

iBook2
Forum Regular
Jan 7, 2007, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Kamikaze View Post
Forgert the 200-300gb drives, how about a 12"mbp with Sandisk's new 32gb flash drive, shipping to OEM's right now, Speed, battery life gains, no mechanicals, etc...
I would buy that!!!

bloodline
Forum Regular
Jan 8, 2007, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by G. I. View Post
Sure cheap, especially the VAIO SZ with carbon fiber housing and LED backlight...
Well... I find carbon fibre not as aesthetically pleasing as Aluminium... I know Composites are great materials, but I like Aluminium.

LED backlight though! very nice
( Last edited by bloodline; Jan 8, 2007 at 12:09 PM. Reason: added support for LEDs)
2.8 Ghz Unibody MacBook Pro 15" - 4GB Ram - Logic Pro 8.0
2.33 Ghz C2D MacBook Pro 15" - 3GB Ram - Logic Pro 7.2
1.5 Ghz G4 PowerBook 12" - 1.25GB Ram

bloodline
Forum Regular
Jan 9, 2007, 04:25 PM

in answer to the OP... Nope
2.8 Ghz Unibody MacBook Pro 15" - 4GB Ram - Logic Pro 8.0
2.33 Ghz C2D MacBook Pro 15" - 3GB Ram - Logic Pro 7.2
1.5 Ghz G4 PowerBook 12" - 1.25GB Ram

Mixa
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 9, 2007, 06:34 PM

What a disappointment... Sure we got iPhone and Apple TV.

But Jobs didn't even mention Leopard, 8 core Mac Pro or iLife and iWork 07'

Maybe i ought to wait untill March to buy a new MBP....

Dazed
Jan 9, 2007, 09:41 PM

I wont be able to buy mine till around April so Ill probably just wait for leopard and what ever speed increases happen around then (hopefully leopard won't be delayed ).

VicG
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 12, 2007, 01:51 PM

I'm looking to purchase a MBP in the spring as well. The Santa Rosa set up is rumored to be released then. The Flash Drive concept sounds really cool. Also hoping that Apple will up the VRAM to atleast 512MB to ace the high end video graphics production and use scene (a dual graphics chip configuration, 2X 512MB, would be neat also, though a bit more expensive). Ditto on Leopard - hopefully it will not be further delayed. I sent in a few of these wishes to Apple itself - don't know what that will do. Perhaps if we can get more people to do likewise Apple may speed up? Here's for wishing/dreaming in addition to hoping one has enough in the pocket to get a new MBP. Keep on truckin'!

Forum Links
Forum Rules