Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Buying MBP Pro: 7200 RPM?

Buying MBP Pro: 7200 RPM?
tavilach
Mac Elite
May 10, 2007, 07:27 PM

It looks like I'd have to wait 4-6 weeks to get a MBP Pro with a 160 GB 7200 RPM HD, which is what I really want. However, I just can't wait that long. I need to buy one now.

So, my question: am I screwing myself over by buying a 5400 RPM drive for a laptop that should last me at least the next 3 years? Is it possible to switch it out with a new one? I'm not familiar with HD upgrades on MBP Pro's.
"Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

uicandrew
Senior User
May 10, 2007, 07:53 PM

ifixit.com for diy upgrade.

does it void your warranty? yes
will they be able to tell? probably
will they care? it's your gamble
Mac User since Summer 2005 (started with G4 mini bought from macnn forums!)

Welly
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 10, 2007, 07:50 PM

It seems strange there is such a wait for people upgrading to 7200rpm. I ordered my 17" mbp (glossy screen/hi-res) with a 7200rpm drive and I get it on wednesday.

I believe you can upgrade the hard drive yourself but it will invalidate your warranty. Perhaps a genuine apple store will do the upgrade for you.

Whether you need 7200RPM is up to you really, what do you use it for? Or what will you be using it for? Mine is becoming a desktop replacement and will be running a (development) web server off it but I want as much performance out of it as possible, hence going for 7200rpm and lots of ram.

Forum Links
Forum Rules