Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > SDRAM difference?

SDRAM difference?
ginop1
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 9, 2000, 09:44 PM

Is there a difference of speed between the Apple SDRAM for G4 and other G4 compatible SDRAM which can be 2 times cheaper?
--------------------------------

--> Gino J. Piazza

reader50
Administrator
Jun 9, 2000, 10:38 PM

The G4 takes unbuffered PC-100 SDRAM. If an ad says G4 compatible, then it will work (or you can sue for false advertising).
The SDRAM that Apple supplies in new G4s is speed code 3-2-2. The G4 can also use speed code 2-2-2, get this if it doesn't cost too much more. It is a little bit faster.

exa
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 9, 2000, 10:47 PM

Apple is known for charging insane amounts of prices for their ram...

Adam Silver
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2000, 04:21 AM

Unless all the RAM in a computer is 2-2-2, you will not get a speed boost over 3-2-2 RAM. 2-2-2 RAM will run at 3-2-2 speed if both types are installed.

Also, do not buy the lowest priced RAM you can find. Cheap RAM is often unreliable. Unreliable RAM causes more system crashes (and other problems) than anything else.

If you decide to buy a build-to-order Mac from Apple, get only the minimum amount of RAM. You can save a bundle if you buy your RAM elsewhere.

I reccomend Crucial, a division of Micron, for buying RAM. You can't do much better than Micron RAM - not to mention that Crucial's prices are great.

http://www.crucial.com/

Qono
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 13, 2000, 12:53 AM

Thanks for that website, I was just looking at the MacWarehouse catalog for RAM. They charge exactly twice as much as this website, for god's sake...

Cipher13
Jun 13, 2000, 03:45 AM

Hows this for a quote from Apple - $702 for 128 megs for my 5500!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I almost choked!!!!!!!!!!!
Thats oz dollars though.
This seems an ok place to post this - whats the normal speed for 222 RAM? PC100 DIMMS, 2 of them, 64 each.
According to Guage Pro they are 260 m/s. Thats with the newest vers - with the older vers it was bout 120 m/s.
Which is right?

Cipher13

edhawke
Jun 13, 2000, 04:00 PM

The cheapest RAM on the web can be found at www.datamem.com/macdimm.asp
Today the price is at $219 for 256MB; but last week it was all the way down to $189!
I use this RAM with my G4 and it runs great!

kkneisley
Forum Regular
Jun 14, 2000, 08:45 AM

I got ya beat! Check out the old standby for RAM shopping- ramseeker.com and find the best price from a reliable dealer.

I agree that the cheapest isn't usually the most reliable. Don't skimp when it comes to RAM! Just don't be a sucker, either

------------------
-Keith

-Whatever you do, do the research.

roelerich
Jun 14, 2000, 12:15 PM

I have never seen 3-2-2 or 2-2-2 defined, but I assume that the first digit is the CAS rating: 3 is every 3 clock cycles, and 2 is 2. If someone has a full explanation of the significance of the digits I'm sure we would like to hear it.
I have had very good luck lately with www.mushkin.com they offer all sorts of memory for a range of good prices and have detailed descriptions of each one. It doesn't hurt that they are down the street from me. But in seeing their operation and speaking face to face with them; I would buy from them again no matter where I were.

Simon Kornblith
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 15, 2000, 10:06 AM

Chipher: My G4 w/ a 256MB 3-2-2 module is moving at appx. 245.MB/sec with the newest version of Gauge Pro.

------------------
Simon Kornblith
Computer Consultant
Programmer

oscar
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 16, 2000, 05:10 PM

Cipher13
Jun 16, 2000, 11:04 PM

I would have thought there would be a bigger gap between 3-2-2 and 2-2-2...
Oh well...

Cipher13

Forum Links
Forum Rules