Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > So really - how much faster is the Penryn 2.4 than my 2.2 SR?

So really - how much faster is the Penryn 2.4 than my 2.2 SR?
trip221
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 28, 2008, 02:36 PM

I bought my Macbook Santa Rosa 2.2ghz back in December because I wasn't expecting any updates to the MB line for a while. Now for the same price I could have had the Penryn 2.4ghz. Does anyone have any links to speed comparisons?

Really I'm not bummed about the update. I love my SR MB. Although if they had redesigned the case (especially to an aluminum finish) it would be a different story!

Thanks!

iamnotmad
Senior User
Feb 28, 2008, 02:58 PM

The speed difference would be minimal. At the same speed such as the SR MBP 2.4 to Todays MBP 2.4, the SR is actually slightly faster. The extra 200Mhz will make a slight difference on the 2 you are comparing. Yours has an extra MB of L2 cache that the penryns do not.

This does not count apps that specifically take advantage of SSE4, of which there are approximately zero right now I believe.

So, be happy, you're not missing out on anything really.

gperks
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 28, 2008, 03:01 PM

The 2.5 has more cache than the older ones, but even so the performance boost is typically < 10%. Battery and heat should be where the main gains are. With both of those improved, it's nice to get any performance boost at all. Well done Intel.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 28, 2008, 03:38 PM

Not much, with a few specific exceptions (like Divx, but not x264).

AnandTech: Intel Mobile Penryn Benchmarked: Battery Life Improves Again

gooser
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 28, 2008, 10:39 PM

graham, are you saying that the new macbooks run cooler than the older ones?
imac g3 600
imac g4 800 superdrive
ibook 466

amazing
Professional Poster
Feb 29, 2008, 12:55 AM

With Intel's development track, there are going to be a whole bunch more incremental upgrades that are going to surprise people. With the "stealth" introduction, ie not much fanfare whatsoever, even Apple is acknowledging that this is more of a small bump upgrade.

Here's another viewpoint from engadget, namely a little more speed, a lot less heat:

Apple MacBook Pro Penryn tests: a little more speed, a lot less heat - Engadget

jjahshik32
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 29, 2008, 05:21 AM

In real world life usage you wont tell the speed difference whatsoever as the amount of heat.

New Macbook Pro Review (Verdict: Penryn + LEDs = Efficiency)

Temperature
While idling, the Penryn MBP's CPU was running at 127 F—slightly cooler than the Merom MBP which had 133 F. But as for the actual experience, the new Penryn MBP felt much cooler on your lap than the older Merom.

While performing a video encode in iMovie with the new Penryn MBP CPU was operating at a temperature of 170 F; actually warmer than the older Merom MBP at 165 F. The increase in operating temperature during a video encode is likely because the more efficient machine is still doing more work every second at its higher clock rate.
*15" Macbook pro sr 2.4ghz (led) 4gb ram, hitachi 7k200*
*Mac Pro 2.8ghz 8 core, 16gb RAM (transintl), Raptor 10k 150gb, 23" ACD*

Forum Links
Forum Rules