Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > USS Constitution vs HMS Victory

View Poll Results: Who would win?
Poll Options:
USS Constitution 4 votes (30.77%)
HMS Victory 4 votes (30.77%)
Neither, it all comes down to the commander. 5 votes (38.46%)
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll
USS Constitution vs HMS Victory
olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Oct 13, 2009, 08:23 PM

So who do you think would win, assuming you got choose your ideal commander? Arguably it might just come down to who's commanding the ship. I have to say, though, the nerd in me votes for the HMS Victory.

Wikipedias on the Constitution and Victory. I'd love to visit both.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Oct 13, 2009, 09:47 PM

I'm voting for 'Old Iron Sides' in this battle.

Most certainly worth a visit when in Boston.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 13, 2009, 09:48 PM

I can't find anything on how thick Victory's hull is, nor what sort of wood it's made of. Constitution's exceptionally thick, oaken hull is what got her the name "old Ironsides," because canon balls bounced off of her, assisting her commanders considerably in their missions. If Victory was similarly made, and the oak was of similar quality, then it would indeed be a VERY close call and really depend on both the captains and the situations.

Fascinating question there Pigeon.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Phileas
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2009, 10:38 PM

From what I read in the wikipedia articles, the firepower of the Victory was about double that of the Constitution. I have no naval knowledge of any kind, would that make a difference?

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Oct 13, 2009, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by Phileas View Post
From what I read in the wikipedia articles, the firepower of the Victory was about double that of the Constitution. I have no naval knowledge of any kind, would that make a difference?
Yep. The Victory would hammer the Constitution in a matter of minutes. It's that simple.
The commander would take out the masts first (easy, with that much oompf) then take the rest apart at leisure.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

starman
Clinically Insane
Oct 13, 2009, 11:58 PM

No contest.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Oct 14, 2009, 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Yep. The Victory would hammer the Constitution in a matter of minutes. It's that simple.
The commander would take out the masts first (easy, with that much oompf) then take the rest apart at leisure.
Bah, that scow couldn't get along side to do anything, she waddles in the water like a pregnant duck. The Constitution is much more maneuverable/agile.

(I chose the 3rd option, the Constitution could win if she's handled properly.)
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

LegendaryPinkOx
Senior User
Oct 14, 2009, 02:27 AM

H.M.S. Victory:
She was designed to carry at least 100 guns; in practice, her armament varied from 104 to 106 guns and carronades.
U.S.S. Constitution:
The Naval Act of 1794 provided for the construction of four ships carrying forty-four guns each, and two ships carrying thirty-six guns each.[6] Constitution was the third of the forty-four gun frigates to be completed
I'm with Doof. Though the Constitution would be a faster moving target at 13 knots to the Victory's 9. They'd have to really be trying for the Victory to miss anything with over 52 assorted 32, 24, and 12lb cannon shots flying in one broadside.
are you lightfooted?

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 14, 2009, 04:53 AM

HMS Victory all the way. Of course the Constitution could run away very fast

finboy
Oct 14, 2009, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
Bah, that scow couldn't get along side to do anything, she waddles in the water like a pregnant duck. The Constitution is much more maneuverable/agile.

(I chose the 3rd option, the Constitution could win if she's handled properly.)
Word. Ironsides was supposed to be a lot more nimble than the Victory.

The REAL poll should be Victory vs. the Black Pearl

Phileas
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2009, 11:33 PM

Naval warfare at the time was pretty much attempting to get as many broadsides into the other ship as possible. I don't think being nimble was much of an advantage. The weather gage seems to have been far more important.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 15, 2009, 09:19 AM

What sort of range did the guns on the two ships have? Standing off from a distance either one could have fouled the other's sails and rendered her adversary immobile. If the Constitution had the longer range guns, Victory would have had very little chance, because Constitution could have maneuvered such that few of Victory's guns could bear on her and without masts or sails, Victory would be a sitting duck to the longer range guns on Constitution. Obviously the opposite is also possible.

Of course this all has more to do with how the ships' masters handled them and directed their gunnery, so it's really a "depends on the captain" answer...

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Oct 15, 2009, 09:52 AM

You guys don't appear to be getting it. The Victory is a first rate ship of the line of the most powerful sea-faring empire the world has ever known (at the time, obviously we're just an insignificant little craphole now). There's no way we got to that point without knowing how to seriously build and operate warships. You'd be hammered. Period.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 15, 2009, 09:56 AM

Plus you can't argue with the name.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 15, 2009, 10:16 AM

You guys don't appear to be getting it. The Victory is a first rate ship of the line of the most powerful sea-faring empire the world has ever known (at the time, obviously we're just an insignificant little craphole now). There's no way we got to that point without knowing how to seriously build and operate warships. You'd be hammered. Period.
Full stop is better. Plus, Britain is a SIGNIFICANT little craphole actually.

Still, the Victory would PWN the Constitution. We have Ellen MacArthur you know.

andi*pandi
Oct 15, 2009, 10:27 AM

There's no way we got to that point without knowing how to seriously build and operate warships. You'd be hammered. Period.
However, it's not as though the builders of the Constitution were some primitive natives on a tropical island - as former British subjects, they likely knew all the same building techniques.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Oct 15, 2009, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
However, it's not as though the builders of the Constitution were some primitive natives on a tropical island - as former British subjects, they likely knew all the same building techniques.
Good point.

olePigeon  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 15, 2009, 11:25 AM

If the Constitution has a heavier armor and is faster, isn't it possible they could stay on the Victory's bow or stern without exposing the Constitution's broadside?

/ <-- Constitution
| <-- Vicotry

Just keep in front, and tack and shoot. If the Victory tries to make any sudden moves, keep ahead of them.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 15, 2009, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post
Plus you can't argue with the name.
The wiki link explains that there was some controversy about the name, because the previous Victory had been lost with all aboard some thirty years earlier...

Dork.
Professional Poster
Oct 15, 2009, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
If the Constitution has a heavier armor and is faster, isn't it possible they could stay on the Victory's bow or stern without exposing the Constitution's broadside?

/ <-- Constitution
| <-- Vicotry

Just keep in front, and tack and shoot. If the Victory tries to make any sudden moves, keep ahead of them.
Disclaimer: everything I know about warfare in the age of sail came from here, as well as one other game on the PC whose title I can't remember.

I would think that under ideal conditions, you would be correct. But I can easily see the wind shifting in an unforseen direction, which would give the Victory an opening to turn on the Constitution before it could react. In general, I see the Constitution winning this match-up on paper, but with all the unpredictable elements of an actual sea battle I wouldn't be surprised if the Victory won.

olePigeon  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 15, 2009, 12:55 PM

Worked for me in Pirates! Gold.

iM@k
Senior User
Oct 15, 2009, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
HMS Victory all the way. Of course the Constitution could run away very fast
This is coming from a Frenchman!?
What, me worry?

Phileas
Mac Elite
Oct 15, 2009, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post

These things were huge, and wind powered. Sudden moves were not something that came natural to them. Cannons were accurate only over very short distances, taking out a mast or sail was more luck than anything.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 15, 2009, 10:09 PM

These things were huge, and wind powered. Sudden moves were not something that came natural to them. Cannons were accurate only over very short distances, taking out a mast or sail was more luck than anything.
With canon that have enough range, you take out masts and rigging with what is effectively a big chain connected to a couple of smallish canon balls; it's like a flying chain saw. You don't need "accurate" when you're aiming for "the masts" because they are basically everything abovedeck. It's all about range, though; the canon need to be long enough and of a large enough caliber to be able to throw junk over a long enough distance to be effective.

I've asked what the ranges of the guns on the two ships were, but I can't find that information anywhere-not even "8 pounders" and the like (which ignores the length of the guns). That information would probably tell the tale for the whole engagement-if the ships' masters did their part, anyway.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 16, 2009, 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by iM@k View Post
This is coming from a Frenchman!?
Ah, those of little intelligence always make themselves known.

2 passports actually : British and US

Now, you were in the middle of swapping feet, do continue when you have finished.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Oct 16, 2009, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
With canon that have enough range, you take out masts and rigging with what is effectively a big chain connected to a couple of smallish canon balls
Canon balls, eh? Is that when the guns on one side of the ship fire, and then the guns on the other side of the ship start firing in the same way a bar or so later?

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 16, 2009, 06:49 AM

Interesting hypothetical.

<checks page 13 of the Star Trek Plot Holes thread>

Nope. Staying out of this one.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2009, 06:59 AM

With canon that have enough range, you take out masts and rigging with what is effectively a big chain connected to a couple of smallish canon balls; it's like a flying chain saw.
These were almost never used, partly because they were so inaccurate that they posed little real danger, partly because they had an effective range of about 50 yards, if you were lucky - and then only against much smaller vessels. If you look at a history of naval warfare you'll see that you don't just take out the mast of a ship of the line with a well aimed shot and then call it a day.

Immobilizing the other ship was typically a long, slow, bloody process as ships hammered each others with broadsides until one won the advantage. Captains tried to get as close as possible to the enemy, with the ships sometimes close to touching.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 16, 2009, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
Canon balls, eh? Is that when the guns on one side of the ship fire, and then the guns on the other side of the ship start firing in the same way a bar or so later?
Cute. I'm a Pacelbel fan myself... Once again I manage to display that I'm not the bestest spellar in the wurld.

Fouling loads were always fired from a single gun, much like grape shot was used to cut down deck crews. Nasty stuff that. On a similar subject, I think the "oak shrapnel" issue is one that the boys on Myth Busters screwed up on. There was plenty of documentation of shattered oak causing horrendous injuries to sailors, so I think the boys just didn't think it out properly; a 20 year old ship, with a mast that had been exposed to sea air and sun for that long, would have LOTS of very dry, very hard oak just waiting to shatter and spray huge splinters all over the place...

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 16, 2009, 07:55 AM

These were almost never used, partly because they were so inaccurate that they posed little real danger, partly because they had an effective range of about 50 yards, if you were lucky - and then only against much smaller vessels. If you look at a history of naval warfare you'll see that you don't just take out the mast of a ship of the line with a well aimed shot and then call it a day.

Immobilizing the other ship was typically a long, slow, bloody process as ships hammered each others with broadsides until one won the advantage. Captains tried to get as close as possible to the enemy, with the ships sometimes close to touching.
This really depended on the gun and the load, though for most of the sail era your description is accurate. Long guns with well designed fouling loads could hit rigging quite well at over 200 yards, but these were relatively late cannons and advanced loads. But they were in use in the early 19th century and could have been used as early as a theoretical Constitution/Victory engagement.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2009, 12:43 PM

would have LOTS of very dry, very hard oak just waiting to shatter and spray huge splinters all over the place...
From what I understand, this was one of the main sources of injury during battle. Being skewered by flying splinters doesn't sound like much fun.

Oneota
Professional Poster
Oct 16, 2009, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
No contest.

That was my first thought, also.
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

gperks
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 19, 2009, 10:55 PM

HMS Victory wins, with ease. They're not even in the same class, 1st rate vs perhaps 4th rate. Battle came down to firepower. A broadside from the Victory would massacre the Constitution.

The Constitution is noted for having thick tough sides. 21 inches! Good for a ship that size; Victory has 24" thick sides.

The Constitution, with 52 guns, defeated 5 British warships with gun counts ranging from 38 down to just 16. The toughest it took on were 5th rate frigates captured from the French navy.

HMS Victory has 104 guns and, should it come to boarding, twice the crew too. Victory was the command vessel in the Battle of Trafalgar, the greatest naval combat of all time. The entire French and Spanish navies were destroyed, preventing Napoleon's intended attack on Britain, and starting unopposed British dominance of the seas for the next 100 years, until World War 1.

Constitution is a fine vessel but is half the size of Victory with less than half of Victory's historical significance.

Two hundred years later the two countries fates have switched, resulting in this more modern naval comparison.
( Last edited by gperks; Oct 19, 2009 at 11:02 PM. Reason: Typos)

iM@k
Senior User
Oct 19, 2009, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Ah, those of little intelligence always make themselves known.

2 passports actually : British and US

Now, you were in the middle of swapping feet, do continue when you have finished.
What can I say, my last name is Beauchaine. I blame my father.
What, me worry?

Forum Links
Forum Rules