Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > No Expose or spaces with Magic Mouse?!

No Expose or spaces with Magic Mouse?!
kman42
Professional Poster
Oct 20, 2009, 01:03 PM

I watched the video and read the web page and it appears that the new Magic Mouse does not support activation of Expose or Spaces. That makes it pretty useless or my workflow. What a bummer, as it otherwise looks very cool.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 20, 2009, 01:12 PM

I'm not surprised. The one place Apple's form over function has consistently failed is the mouse.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2009, 01:34 PM

Yeah, their trackpads have always been as good as you can get on a laptop, but if I'm going to have a mouse at all, I actually like having lots of buttons to customize. Muscle memory can go a long way.

(I’m probably also one of a small handful of people who thinks the iPhone could’ve benefited from a few more hardware buttons (but not a full QWERTY keyboard).)

dfbennett
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2009, 04:53 PM

Just watched the video and I was like "wow i need to get one" but then I realized I currently am using the wheel click on my logitech mouse to activate Expose All Windows and an additional button to pull up the Dashboard. If Magic Mouse can't do this no sale.
Regards,
Dave

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Oct 20, 2009, 05:12 PM

Don't be too hasty. I bet you'll be able to customize the gestures like any other button.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2009, 06:42 PM

Well, there isn't any indication from Apple that you can customize the gestures right now. That is, you can switch which side the secondary click is on and you can turn the swipes on or off, but there doesn't appear to be any arbitrary assignments.

And even if there will be, is it any easier to do a swipe than hit a button?

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 20, 2009, 08:32 PM

Get yourself a real mouse that has lots of mappable buttons.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Visnaut
Senior User
Oct 21, 2009, 12:51 AM

I'm the same boat as the OP. Love the concept at first sight, and the fact that it's so low profile. I hate the fact that most mice out there, even the smaller laptop ones, are really bulky in height, so this seemed promising. But the fact that they stopped short of allowing more complex gestures such as the ones on the MacBook trackpads is disappointing to say the least.

I had been holding off on replacing my busted Mighty Mouse because of the rumours for this new multi-touch mouse, but the under-used potential, and the fact that there's no way of simulating a wheel/middle click (to open links in new tabs in Safari) means I won't be getting it. I think I'll shop around for other brands, end up sorely disappointed with the selection, and end up buying their new rebranded Apple Mouse. Shame.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 21, 2009, 04:33 AM

There must be something really wrong with Apple to release the higher-tech Magic Mouse with fewer capabilities than the lower-tech Mighty Mouse. Maybe it's a price issue - they couldn't reach the $69 price point and achieve the same level of functionality of the Mighty Mouse or multi-touch Trackpads?

I'll bet the Magic Mouse will have the same annoying problem of needing you to lift your left finger to right click. Any takers?

As a laptop user, I gotta say: give up Apple. Make a new keyboard with a trackpad between the left- and right-halves of the keyboard. That would rock for desktop and media center users, and be fully ambidextrous.
( Last edited by lpkmckenna; Oct 21, 2009 at 04:41 AM. )

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 21, 2009, 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
Don't be too hasty. I bet you'll be able to customize the gestures like any other button.
The screenshot of the Prefence pane doesn't suggest that. Maybe, Apple hasn't unleashed the full power of the mouse with the current driver, and plans an updated driver with more gestures. Of course, I'd like a pony, too.

There are only two gestures: two-finger left and two-finger right. And bizarrely, the two-finger gesture on the mouse is the same as the three-finger gesture on the trackpad. Why not mirror the gestures exactly?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 21, 2009, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
bizarrely, the two-finger gesture on the mouse is the same as the three-finger gesture on the trackpad. Why not mirror the gestures exactly?
My guess is because people usually keep their third finger on the side of the mouse, so it'd be inconvenient.

ibook_steve
Oct 21, 2009, 11:27 AM

I'm with shifuimam on this. If you really need a button to open a new browser tab (really? cmd-T or right-clicking is too difficult?) or Expose, get a more advanced mouse. This mouse is not for you. This is for beginning users and as a nice complement to the iMacs.

I'm sure within the next year, you'll see a Logitech mouse with 50 buttons and a multitouch surface. But then you probably won't be happy because there are too many buttons!

Remember, it's only been 4 years since Apple started even making mice with more than 1 button. Be happy they even do that.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 21, 2009, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve View Post
Remember, it's only been 4 years since Apple started even making mice with more than 1 button. Be happy they even do that.
If its 1 button or 3, they're equally useless for me. It's not that they can't make it more advanced, it's that they're hamstrung by their dedication to form.

Atheist
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2009, 11:35 AM

I'll bet the Magic Mouse will have the same annoying problem of needing you to lift your left finger to right click. Any takers?
I've never quite understood this complaint. Personally I can't physically right-click without lifting my index finger! (Otherwise I end up pressing both buttons.) Guess I'm not very dexterous.

kman42  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 21, 2009, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve View Post
I'm with shifuimam on this. If you really need a button to open a new browser tab (really? cmd-T or right-clicking is too difficult?) or Expose, get a more advanced mouse. This mouse is not for you. This is for beginning users and as a nice complement to the iMacs.

I'm sure within the next year, you'll see a Logitech mouse with 50 buttons and a multitouch surface. But then you probably won't be happy because there are too many buttons!

Steve
The point I was making is that a multi-touch mouse is a GREAT idea, they just screwed the pooch on implementation. Their trackpads are multi-touch and they can activate expose and the app switcher--these gestures are pure genius and make navigation a breeze. They easily could have implemented the same gestures for the Magic Mouse, but chose not too.

My guess is that the poster above who suggested they did it because people keep their third finger and thumb on the side of the mouse to hold it is correct; however, it would be much simpler to release the mouse to activate expose with three fingers on top of the mouse than it is to find the right function key.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 21, 2009, 02:51 PM

Screen corner?

kman42  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 21, 2009, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
Screen corner?
dude...that's like sooo 10.4.

Actually, it's a good idea and I had forgotten about using screen corners after using my not-so-Mighty Mouse for the last few years.

Professional Poster
Oct 21, 2009, 05:26 PM

It seems like Apple can't get the trackpad and mouse functionalities on par with each other... I was really hoping the magic mouse would be it, but it comes with its own set of gestures and limitations and the trackpad remains the much more sophisticated option.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 21, 2009, 05:53 PM

Am I alone in thinking that if anything, the implementation of Exposé as the standard function for the "squeeze" button on the Mighty Mouse was COMPLETELY ****ed up?

It HAS to be turned off first thing, or I'm activating it three times a minute just because I dared to use the mouse on a table that isn't completely empty expanse.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 21, 2009, 11:12 PM

I have my middle button set to open links in new tabs while surfing. I don't think I can give up that functionality no matter how cool the mouse might be.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 22, 2009, 01:12 AM

I wonder why two-finger swipe left and right is assigned, but not up or down? Really, even if Magic Mouse has only four gestures total, it would be a marvel. Imagine...
Two-finger left: back button
Two-finger right: app switcher
Two-finger up: desktop
Two-finger down: Expose

I also can't help but wonder why it can't left, right, AND chord-click. And three-finger and four-finger click. Must be a cost issue.

BTW, I can't imagine too many user stuck with the Mighty Mouse defaults. Scroll click for Dashboard? Dumb.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 22, 2009, 01:59 AM

*Most* people never change defaults.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 22, 2009, 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by kman42 View Post
Their trackpads are multi-touch and they can activate expose and the app switcher--these gestures are pure genius and make navigation a breeze. They easily could have implemented the same gestures for the Magic Mouse, but chose not too.
Good luck squeezing all four of your fingers onto the mouse surface at once!

Kees
Oct 25, 2009, 05:04 AM

I use screencorners for exposé, even on the mighty mouse, because the side buttons are way to easy to hit. First thing I turn off.
Second thing I do is enable the scroll ball to act as button 3, so I can open new tabs by middle clicking a link. (command-t is not an option for that, going through a right click menu is MUCH slower, try quickly opening 10 google results in new tabs and tell me what method is better...)
Pressing and holding the middle button also allows me to pan photos and drawings in various applications. I couldn't possibly give that up.
Maybe they'll add this functionality through software, though it's hard to imagine how they would implement panning.
I know I could go back to holding the command key for links, and holding the space bar for panning, but that's not really what I have in mind when I upgrade a piece of equipment...
I was excited at first, but for my workflow, this looks like a big miss to me.
( Last edited by Kees; Oct 25, 2009 at 05:10 AM. )

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 25, 2009, 11:58 AM

Does it have an above-average tracking quality, FPS, and movement finess, for being a bluetooth mouse?

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 25, 2009, 07:00 PM

I just used the new Magic Mouse at the Apple Store. Yes, you STILL need to lift your left finger to register a right-click. Sad, so sad.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 25, 2009, 07:16 PM

I just used the new Magic Mouse at the Apple Store. Yes, you STILL need to lift your left finger to register a right-click. Sad, so sad.
Ugh.. The WoW crowd will not be pleased.

Forum Links
Forum Rules