Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Retina MacBook Pros get Power Nap

Retina MacBook Pros get Power Nap
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Jul 27, 2012, 01:53 PM

A firmware update released today has enabled the Power Nap feature to Apple's Retina MacBook Pro. The update follows a similar patch released yesterday for the MacBook Air. The update also fixes several sleep/wake issues and improves stability for Retina MacBook Pro models.

Power Nap enables SSD-equipped notebook Macs to sync and carry out other routine tasks without waking from a sleep state. PowerNap-equipped notebooks can back up to Time Machine and synch to iCloud thanks to the new feature. The feature also enables VPN on demand, Find My Mac, and corporate configuration profile updating, all while a notebook is sleeping. In order to preserve battery power, Power Nap will not activate if a machine's charge is at 30 percent or lower. The new update for Retina MacBook Pro models is available at Apple's site, as are updates for 2012 and 2011 MacBook Air models.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 27, 2012, 03:34 PM

I really wish they would enable this for the MBP with SSD that Apple ships. Doesn't seem right.
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

blahblahbber
Banned
Jul 27, 2012, 05:06 PM

The apple logo represents a fishhook for a reason... Once you bite, ur $hit outta luck unless you got real skills son. The 13" white mid 2010 macbook w/ nVidia 320M is the best macbook ever made.... no aluminum to choke the wireless signal, 10hr battery, loud & clear internal speaker, tri-wing adjustable inertia glass trackpad (like the new stuff), two internal SATA 3.0Gb ports (you don't need anything faster)... try this combination on any other mac portables with 10hr battery life; you can find it in a true matte LED too if you look deeper. Call me lucky

Thomassww
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 6, 2012, 06:26 PM

hi

i did download it and then I started a test this program does not run on your machine.

Can't understand why

Also my VPN is not working even it work on mountain lion on my old MacBook Pro

blahblahbber
Banned
Aug 6, 2012, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by Thomassww View Post
hi
i did download it and then I started a test this program does not run on your machine.
Can't understand why
Also my VPN is not working even it work on mountain lion on my old MacBook Pro
You can always download NoSleep, and tolerate going clamshell instead.

Forum Links
Forum Rules