Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Analyst: iPod touch at end of product life cycle?

Analyst: iPod touch at end of product life cycle?
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Oct 24, 2012, 02:47 PM

Apple's latest iPod touch, introduced alongside the iPhone 5, represents a significant overhaul of the previous generation, however KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo believes the media player is at the end of its product life cycle. Sales of the flagship iPod are said to have already been affected by the iPhone, and are expected to be further diminished by the new iPad mini.

The cheapest iPod touch costs $299, compared to $329 for the iPad mini, while the iPhone 5 can be purchased for $199 due to carrier subsidization. The iPhone 4S is available for even less, and the iPhone 4 can be obtained for free. Kuo suggests the sales impact from the iPad mini and iPhones has led Apple to place the Touch in the "final stage" of its life cycle, according to details of the research note posted by AppleInsider. The device is unlikely to disappear, however the company is not expected to make significant investments in its ongoing development. iPod sales growth has slowed as the popularity of smartphones, wether the iPhone or competing platforms, has continued to surge. The iPod touch still serves a niche, providing access to the App Store and serving as a handheld game console that competes with Sony's Vita and Nintendo's 3DS.

aardman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 24, 2012, 10:47 PM

The iPod touch would be fine if Apple didn't gimp its cpu and cameras. If Apple gave it cellular data and true GPS then it would be a totally revived product.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 25, 2012, 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by aardman View Post
The iPod touch would be fine if Apple didn't gimp its cpu and cameras. If Apple gave it cellular data and true GPS then it would be a totally revived product an iPhone.
Yep.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Oct 25, 2012, 04:12 AM

The iPod touch would be fine if Apple didn't gimp its cpu and cameras. If Apple gave it cellular data and true GPS then it would be a totally revived product.
I'd like to see them give it cellular data in the same way that the iPad has cellular data - i.e. no voice. I use only an iPad data plan for my mobile needs, saving a tonne of cash by not having an expensive voice plan.

lamewing
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 25, 2012, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
I'd like to see them give it cellular data in the same way that the iPad has cellular data - i.e. no voice. I use only an iPad data plan for my mobile needs, saving a tonne of cash by not having an expensive voice plan.
Agreed. I am selling my iPhone 4 and upgrading to an iPad Mini. I hardly use actual minutes. 95% of my iPhone usage is internet and texting. I have iMessage and Google Voice for texting and Skype and Facetime for those few calls I need to make. So it is a little bigger, I can carry it in my old Army map case (repurposed man bag).

If Apple had added cellular to the iPod Touch I would use it instead of the iPad Mini. I guess they are afraid of cannibalization of iPhone sales....right, like that many people would do this. Using data only is a rather fringe idea. I would think it would be a fantastic way to get kids into using iOS devices and then later into iPhones....basically a gateway device.

cgc
Professional Poster
Oct 25, 2012, 06:55 AM

Sure, you can buy an iPhone 5 for $199 or get an iPhone 4 for free if you sign into a contract but that contract will cost you over $2000 over the next two years. An iPod Touch costs $299 with no recurring charges... Thanks for skewing the article to support your point-of-view...

mytdave
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 25, 2012, 12:18 PM

Not. Anyone who believes the iPod Touch is at EOL clearly doesn't have kids.
"One World, one Web, one Program" - Microsoft promotional ad
"Ein Volk, ein Reich, ein Fuhrer" - Adolf Hitler

Forum Links
Forum Rules