Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Internet Explorer Update To 5.1

Internet Explorer Update To 5.1
frichard
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 18, 2001, 08:14 PM

Hopes that this will solve a lot of our problems!

Get it Here ...
----------------------
frederic.richard
digital.media.designer
----------------------

b*tchy
Forum Regular
Dec 18, 2001, 08:39 PM

ooohhh.. just installed. It's significantly speedier than the older version. nice.

Kon-El
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 18, 2001, 09:16 PM

Solid. Quick. No crashes. No hang-ups. Sweeeeeeeeet! And man, the new Interface Extras in the Preferences ROCK!!!!
In Christ,
Deacon Nikolai
http://nstanosheck.wordpress.com

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Dec 18, 2001, 11:40 PM

so far, a little faster. stable.
replaces 5.5b1 for me...which seemed identical to 5.0...
all these versions!

let's see how it does over the next few weeks tho...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

crazycylon
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 19, 2001, 01:01 AM

so far so good. Haven't had any crashes with quicktime movies so far with this new version. Only time will tell.
As a man comes, so he departs.

tinrib
Mac Elite
Dec 19, 2001, 01:55 AM

Originally posted by fisherKing:
<STRONG>so far, a little faster. stable.
replaces 5.5b1 for me...which seemed identical to 5.0...
all these versions!

let's see how it does over the next few weeks tho...</STRONG>
5.5b1 was just a hacked version of IE 5 done by a few MS programmers at the MacHack conference (I think) - I think the only additional features were you could drag an image to the toolbar and the more useful feature that you could shift-command click on a link to open it in a new window BEHIND the current window.

Avenir
Mac Elite
Dec 19, 2001, 02:50 AM

definitely feels a LOT snappier than 5.0 and I love the "open in new window from other app" menu, it's awesome....

hope it stays going good

spike[at]avenirex[dot]com | Avenirex
IM - Avenirx | ICQ - 3932806

<Drayon>
Dec 19, 2001, 04:03 AM

I don't understand IE's way of displaying fonts. Can anyone help me here? Netscape does the same thing. However, iCab displays my fonts/size perfectly and consistently on EVERY page i load.

In IE, I have set Techno font up to point size 11 in pref's and de-select "page sets fonts" and disabled CCS. All pages use my font but the size displayed is all over the place. Like here on these forums the size looks like point 6 (very small and unreadable). When i load macnn.com the main news text loads in the correct size but all the links in the left blue size of the page is again this very small point 6 size.

To make these forums readable i have to increase the font size in the view menu to 120%. This adjusts and corrects the page font size back to 11. But any other page i load after this one in this window, the fonts will be huge and will require a scale back down to 100%.

So is there anything i can do settings-wise that will force every page to load the fonts in a uniform size that is set by me?

Another issue i have with this browser is when opening another window this window opens up always to the left side of my display. since I have my browser window in the middle of the screen and ICQ etc on the left. Is there a way to tile windows in this browser? iCab does this and remembers window settings.

Finally, the Search button in the toolbar. It loads some bar on the left side of the curently open window. Is there a way to change this behaviour? I'd prefer to hit the "Search" button and a predefined page loads loads which i have set. Eg i use " http://hotbot.lycos.com/text/ "all the time, can i enter this as the default search page so that when i click the "Search" button in the toolbar this page loads for me?

Thanks for any forthcoming help.

Drayon

derbs
Senior User
Dec 19, 2001, 06:46 AM

downloaded IE5.1 with anticipation, love the new features, transparent menu, nice aqua theme

then i looked at a website i'm building - and got a shock. It has a dhtml dropdown menu, and in 5.1 it runs like a dog!

Could anyone try it themselves in 5 and 5.1 just to confirm?
http://nottingham.headlandmultimedia.co.uk/ntubdu/

and try using the dropdown menu bar

unbelieveable isn't it..?!

iNeusch
Mac Elite
Dec 19, 2001, 06:58 AM

Works here... what should I see special about it?

That girl in front is nice BTW

derbs
Senior User
Dec 19, 2001, 08:05 AM

hey iNeusch

she is very nice she's off a stock photolibrary, not my g/friend unfortunately

have you tried the menu in IE5 and IE5.1?

on my machines - the menu dropsdown repectably on IE5, but on 5.1 runs like DOG slow !?

what machine have u got?

tngland
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 19, 2001, 05:05 PM

Easiest install for a Microsoft app I've ever done. Running smoothly so far for me with OS 9.2.1.

They've made the change which kept me from using IE before except when I had to: Shift-Command clicking on links to load them UNDERNEATH the page you are viewing.

Only problem is that these stacked pages get placed further down & to the right if you do a bunch of them. Same thing when a script launches several sites at once.

I've been asking all around if anybody knows of a fix for this.

One other gripe: I can't find a way to prevent the Download Manager window from opening with every download.

If these items could be fixed for me I might reduce the time I spend taking the iCab.

xyber233
Mac Elite
Dec 20, 2001, 10:57 AM

I like it. It is fast, stable, and has the nice splash screeb. I recommend downloading it especially those who didnt like IE before because of crashes.

Voltrage
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 21, 2001, 03:27 PM

ie 5.1 classic has an incredibly annoying bug, at least on 9.2.2. quite frequently, when loading a page it will put the words "Accessing URL" or something like that in front of the actual URL, causing an error message since "Accessing URL <A HREF="http://www.macnn.com/"" TARGET=_blank>http://www.macnn.com/"</A> is not a website. sometimes this happens as an isolated case, but sometimes it requires a restart before you can access anything on the internet again.

crazycylon
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 21, 2001, 08:20 PM

Originally posted by Voltrage:
<STRONG>.... when loading a page it will put the words "Accessing URL" or something like that in front of the actual URL, causing an error message since "Accessing URL <A HREF="http://www.macnn.com/"" TARGET=_blank>http://www.macnn.com/"</A> is not a website. sometimes this happens as an isolated case, but sometimes it requires a restart before you can access anything on the internet again.</STRONG>
I haven't seen that happen in 9.1. So far the best MS Explorer I have used for OS 9.1.
As a man comes, so he departs.

pete.z
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 22, 2001, 09:45 AM

Nice to see MS still supports classic,now al I have to do is wait for the Dutch version.....they had it in 5.0......
Not that I mind having a English Browser,but I don't want to let my GF mess up the puter when she is going to use a browser she can't read completely.......woman......

(I sure hopes she doesn't read this,or I'm bigtime screwed....... )
MOSTLY HARMLESS

http://www.macfreak.nl

dr. zoidberg
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 23, 2001, 12:12 PM

just installed.... must say i�m pleasantly surprised.

dare i say it�s a bit sna.... sn..... speedier!!
"And Zapp Brannigan, your score qualifies you as assistant delivery boy, second class."
"Hmm. I guess I'll have to sleep my way to the top. Kif, wake me when I'm there."

dr. zoidberg
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 23, 2001, 02:42 PM

preferences -&gt; interface extras -&gt; use translucent contextual menus

this is new stuff, isn�t it? niiice!
"And Zapp Brannigan, your score qualifies you as assistant delivery boy, second class."
"Hmm. I guess I'll have to sleep my way to the top. Kif, wake me when I'm there."

Forum Links
Forum Rules