Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Dreamweaver 4 worth the upgrade?

Dreamweaver 4 worth the upgrade?
Luckboy
Nov 16, 2000, 12:40 PM

Hey,

I currently own Dreamweaver 3, Fireworks 3, and Flash 4. Is there any reason to upgrade to Dreamweaver 4?

(or Fireworks and Flash for that matter)

Oh yeah, has anyone used Dreamweaver UltraDev? Is it useful at all?

------------------
"I am a fighter; a
simple man" Bison --
Winter Warriors

mkbhatia
Administrator
Nov 16, 2000, 06:13 PM

I was at Dreamweaver 2000 conference and it seemed to be worth the upgrade if you used the program a lot. There were some neat additions to the JavaScript rollover creation and such.

I'm hoping to have a brief article on the conference and new features later this week/early next week.

m.

Hobbes
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 30, 2000, 01:22 AM

As a proffesional web designer all I can say is YES!!!!!!

I had drug my feet about upgrading from version 2 to 3. So when 4 came out, I immediately upgraded. In my opinion, its an awesome upgrade. Version 4 packs some really nice features, including the ability to insert Flash text and rollovers without using Flash itself.

Just my 2 cents.

hagemabs
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 30, 2000, 04:17 PM

Did they fix the non-standard editing quirks? In an apple application I expect to be able to single/dbl/triple/quad click on text in the editor and have it select insert point/word/line/paragraph respectively. In DW3 I believe it could only select a word by dbl-clicking and even then wasn't intelligent about it if it were a url or whatnot.

In v.3 of Dreamweaver, I also had difficulty selection text by dragging the cursor through it... it was way too sensitive and would select entire table cells rather than the text I wanted.

Since a lot of my pages involve text, these issues are more important to me than precise positioning of elements using css or whatever.

Luckboy
Nov 30, 2000, 05:11 PM

I agree. And what what I've read, Dreamweaver 4 still lacks any useful or customizable syntax highlighting.

narcissus
Dec 18, 2000, 12:30 AM

I think that DW3 is a tremendous program. No one should complain about the lack of custom coding abilities. There are so many options out there that it would be completely insane for them to try to add them all.
I am thankful for the time it saves me on simple code writing... it allows me more time to add those custom touches.
In short.. Any improvement on the program would be welcome.
Do or do not.... there is NO try.

Luckboy
Dec 18, 2000, 01:41 AM

True. Dreamweaver 3 is the best HTML editor I've ever used. In fact, I love just love Macromedia. I had been hoping that DW4 would contain some of the small goodies, such as HTML color coding. But that didn't happen, it seems Macromedia spent all their time building up the larger features

Woohoo, go Macromedia!

- LB

beverson
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 19, 2000, 05:41 PM

Is the trial version of DW 4 available yet? I'd like to be able to try it out before I buy it.

I thought I'd read somewhere it had been posted, and began to download what I thought was it, but realized it was just the v3 trial.

Luckboy
Dec 19, 2000, 10:05 PM

Yeah, I believe there's a trial version now being hosted at Macromedia.com

Forum Links
Forum Rules