Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > USB Overdrive beta

USB Overdrive beta
P
Jan 26, 2002, 06:32 PM

Don't know if you've all seen this already, but:
http://www.usboverdrive.com/

Essentially, a beta should be here before the end of the month and a release version a little after that. Next to Photoshop X, this is the best possible news for Mac OS X.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Ibson
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 26, 2002, 07:20 PM

This is absolutely fabulous news. Now my IntelliMouse Explorer will actually be useful. Power web-browsing, here I come...

maroma
Jan 26, 2002, 07:21 PM

GREAT news!!

i can finally get full use out of my little MS Optical. glad to see he's so excited and commited to OS X!

OverclockedHomoSapien
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 26, 2002, 07:31 PM

This is great news indeed! I really missed the "smart scrolling" of USB Overdrive, with the accelerated scrolling upon large scroll wheel movements. USB Overdrive rocks, and it is one of the few shareware apps I've actually paid for.
[FONT="book antiqua"]"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be."
- Thomas Jefferson, 1816.[/FONT]

derekn
Senior User
Jan 26, 2002, 08:35 PM

Aw nuts!! LOL

I had pretty much given up hope for an X version of USB Overdrive, so since Kensington put out native X drivers, I went out and bought a Kensington Mouse in a Box Optical. LOL I guess it comes down to who is better, either way I'll have a backup. Good thing the Kensington was only $10.

EmAn
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 26, 2002, 09:53 PM

That's great news.

gorgonzola
Admin Emeritus
Jan 26, 2002, 11:12 PM

Moving to X Software.
"Do not be too positive about things. You may be in error." (C. F. Lawlor, The Mixicologist)

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Jan 29, 2002, 12:25 AM

Only approximatly two days left, you think he'll deliver the product or an excuse?

<TechFire>
Jan 29, 2002, 03:38 PM

The optimist in me seriously hopes that he releases it in the next few days.

I bet we will get an excuse though. I mean his website said "I am hard at work on USB Overdrive for OSX" for 9 months and he never delivered the product.

oranjdisc
Senior User
Jan 30, 2002, 05:06 PM

I'm about to go crazy waiting for either Microsoft's Intellipoint plug-in for X, or USB Overdrive. I'd rather have Overdrive though -- love it in 9.

Moonray
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2002, 05:25 PM

Yep... good news... though I think providing an acceptable mouse driver should be the job of Apple, but oh yes... for their designer mouse they provide enough.

Does anyone believe Apple will come with a more-than-one-button mouse soon?

-

unfaded
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 30, 2002, 05:33 PM

Originally posted by Moonray:
<STRONG>Does anyone believe Apple will come with a more-than-one-button mouse soon?

-</STRONG>
No :o)

pobodysnerfect
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 31, 2002, 10:09 PM

The beta is available for download now!

pobodysnerfect
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 31, 2002, 10:33 PM

hmmm, I downloaded it and I can not figure out how to assign the side buttons on my intellimouse to act as the back and forward buttons when I am browsing the web... Anybody figured it out, or is it just not added yet? thanks

Corys
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 31, 2002, 11:01 PM

I just set the buttons as a keystroke..Command Back Arrow for back and Command Forward arrow for forward...seems to work so far.
www.prepressforums.com
News & Information for the Prepress Industry

<skel>
Jan 31, 2002, 11:34 PM

Disappointing so far, unfortunately. Same tracking prob as the other mouse speedup deals: it's fast enough, but when you slow down you lose all control. I guess it's that same "resolution" thing. Too bad - I was eager to switch to X and was waiting for the "Fast-100" setting, but I can't hack the jerkiness when I slow down. Comments?

pobodysnerfect
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 1, 2002, 12:31 AM

Originally posted by Corys:
<STRONG>I just set the buttons as a keystroke..Command Back Arrow for back and Command Forward arrow for forward...seems to work so far.</STRONG>
Yes that worked, thanks for the info. X is slowly letting me use my mouse the way it was designed...

Toyin
Mac Elite
Feb 1, 2002, 01:33 AM

Is there some trick to this? Mines not working at all. I registered, installed the kext. Added IE to my apps. Specified command [ as my left (side) button and no go.

This is with MS Intellimouse and Dual 500 G4.

Could the turbomouse driver be interfering?

Any help would be appreciated.
-Toyin
13" MBA 1.8ghz i7
"It's all about the rims that ya got, and the rims that ya coulda had"
S.T. 1995

spectre
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 1, 2002, 01:50 AM

Works great for me. All I really wanted to do was assign my middle button (scroll wheel logitech USB) to option click. It works just fine for that.. and I find I can keep my work much more organized this way. I just middle click when switching apps.

Its pretty rusty though. Its ugly as hell, and the way you install it is a bit odd.. but hey.. at least we have something!

Ben

pobodysnerfect
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 1, 2002, 02:50 AM

Originally posted by Toyin:
<STRONG>Is there some trick to this? Mines not working at all. I registered, installed the kext. Added IE to my apps. Specified command [ as my left (side) button and no go.

Any help would be appreciated.</STRONG>
well that's weird, I have turbomouse installed also and no problems. the only thing I can think of is I did not add IE to my apps I just made the fourth button command left and my fifth button command right.

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 1, 2002, 02:57 AM

I'm so happy. This will make me a lean me Starcraft machine again! Seems to work well for me.

Yaay!

Geobunny
Mac Elite
Feb 1, 2002, 09:12 AM

Originally posted by Toyin:
<STRONG>Is there some trick to this? Mines not working at all. I registered, installed the kext. Added IE to my apps. Specified command [ as my left (side) button and no go.

Any help would be appreciated.</STRONG>
Did you restart? I took the geek's way out and opened the package, copied the kext into /System/Library/Extension and then loaded it with "sudo kextload USBOverdrive.kext". I then ran the Helper application but it still wouldn't work until I restarted. Not sure why.

Anyway seeing as everyone now knows it exists again, we may as well swap setups and see if we can pick up some tips from each other. Here's my setup:

Intellimouse explorer
Global: side buttons cmd-tab and cmd-shift-tab to change apps
middle button: cmd-opt-single click so I can middle click a folder and drag to terminal app in dock and open new window in that directory.
Scrolling etc. as normal

IE: Scroll button up : cmd-right (forward)
scroll button down: cmd-left (back)
middle button : cmd click-lock for temporary autoscrolling replacement

Omniweb : middle button : cmd-click to open link in new window

iTunes: Scroll button up/down : change track forward/back
right button : space

Unreal Tournament : Yay, jump/crouch for side and weapon switch for wheel. BTW, how do I find out frame rate in UT?
ClamXav - the free virus scanner for Mac OS X | Geobunny learns to fly

xyber233
Mac Elite
Feb 1, 2002, 10:54 AM

BTW, how do I find out frame rate in UT?
Timedemo under options.

mrchin
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 1, 2002, 12:36 PM

Ah! Here is the thread. I appoligize for posting again in the Gen X forum.

I'm glad mr. Developer, with his smart-arse 453 posts brought that to my attention. Of which probably 353 are complaining and flaming responses.

And on the topic at hand, oh what a wonderful thing to finally be truly left-handed again in X.
Dual 2.0 G5/2.5GB/ATI 9800 Pro | MacBook Pro 2.16 Gore Duo/2GB/ATI X1600

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 1, 2002, 12:37 PM

Anyone try it yet with a Logitech mouse? I've got a new logitech cordless optical.

<Captain Breakfast>
Feb 1, 2002, 12:45 PM

Originally posted by &lt;skel&gt;:
<STRONG>Disappointing so far, unfortunately. Same tracking prob as the other mouse speedup deals: it's fast enough, but when you slow down you lose all control. I guess it's that same "resolution" thing. Too bad - I was eager to switch to X and was waiting for the "Fast-100" setting, but I can't hack the jerkiness when I slow down. Comments?</STRONG>
Same here. Feels like Windows.

Toyin
Mac Elite
Feb 1, 2002, 12:52 PM

Originally posted by Geobunny:
<STRONG>

Did you restart? I took the geek's way out and opened the package, copied the kext into /System/Library/Extension and then loaded it with "sudo kextload USBOverdrive.kext". I then ran the Helper application but it still wouldn't work until I restarted. Not sure why.

</STRONG>
Yes I' ve restarted several times. Re-installed it as admin and as root (deleting all the files and preferences 1st) and still no go. I paid the $20 thinking it might be that it was unregistered and still no joy.

Very, very dissappointed.
-Toyin
13" MBA 1.8ghz i7
S.T. 1995

oranjdisc
Senior User
Feb 1, 2002, 01:17 PM

Ugh.

Well, at least the side buttons on my IntelliPoint Optical work now (I assigned keystrokes to them). But the tracking is really bad. Move the pointer around quickly, and it does really bizarre side-shifts, then slow down and try to focus on a button and it's sticky, sluggish...ugh.

Well, it's a beta. Back to OS 9 I go.

KidRed
Professional Poster
Feb 1, 2002, 03:12 PM

Originally posted by oranjdisc:
<STRONG>Ugh.

Well, at least the side buttons on my IntelliPoint Optical work now (I assigned keystrokes to them). But the tracking is really bad. Move the pointer around quickly, and it does really bizarre side-shifts, then slow down and try to focus on a button and it's sticky, sluggish...ugh.

Well, it's a beta. Back to OS 9 I go.</STRONG>
mmm, mine doesn't act wierd. Noit sure where you have it set. I have mine set at the highest medium level. I don't need it faster then that onmy cinema display, mouse gets top to bottom pretty quicka dn smoothly. I do wish they could hack around the scaling thing tho.
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

V
Senior User
Feb 1, 2002, 04:10 PM

USB Overdrive isn't working for you? Here's what I found to solve my problem in the developer site:

- The AppleUSBMouse Turbo Edition third-party kernel extension should not be installed, because it takes over control from the USB Overdrive. When Turbo Edition is installed, none of the USB Overdrive features will work. If you never installed it, you don't need to worry about this. If you did, you should uninstall it to activate the USB Overdrive.

- This is not an incompatibility, but if you want the USB Overdrive to handle a Kensington mouse, you should make sure that the Kensington MouseWorks kernel extension has been uninstalled. The two drivers can peacefully cohexist, but MouseWorks takes over all Kensington mouse devices.

Toyin
Mac Elite
Feb 1, 2002, 04:57 PM

Originally posted by V:
<STRONG>USB Overdrive isn't working for you? Here's what I found to solve my problem in the developer site:

- The AppleUSBMouse Turbo Edition third-party kernel extension should not be installed, because it takes over control from the USB Overdrive. When Turbo Edition is installed, none of the USB Overdrive features will work. If you never installed it, you don't need to worry about this. If you did, you should uninstall it to activate the USB Overdrive.</STRONG>

Thank you. I got the same response from the developer. I haven't had time to get to my machine since, but I'm going to uninstall the turbo mouse drivers when I get home.
-Toyin
13" MBA 1.8ghz i7
S.T. 1995

mftalon
Forum Regular
Feb 1, 2002, 08:55 PM

It appears that the Horrendous OSX acceleration curve is still present. Although I read on a forum at xlr8yourmac that someone had contacted the developer and he is working on the acceleration curve problem.

As soon as that's fixed I will buy Overdrive! The single most annoying issue with OSX for me is the poor mouse tracking (weird acceleration curve) introduced with 10.1.
You have to wonder...
www.creativebush.com

Toyin
Mac Elite
Feb 1, 2002, 09:21 PM

Getting rid of turbomouse worked, but the acceleration curve is awful. I just select system and added mousezoom to my system preferences. Though it's acceleration is not as good as Turbomouse it's better than USBoverdrive at this point.
-Toyin
13" MBA 1.8ghz i7
S.T. 1995

yukon
Mac Elite
Feb 1, 2002, 10:56 PM

great to see it.

still terrible acceleration - resolution thing.

it killed my keyboard. the OS sees it (verified in key caps), but no characters appear in the text field. i'm contacting the author about this. Needless to say, I uninstalled it.
[img]broken link[/img]
This insanity brought to you by:
The French CBC, driving antenna users mad since 1937.

EmAn
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 3, 2002, 12:17 PM

Originally posted by xi_hyperon:
<STRONG>Anyone try it yet with a Logitech mouse? I've got a new logitech cordless optical.</STRONG>
Works good with my Logitech Mouseman Cordless Optical.

P  (op)
Feb 4, 2002, 05:26 AM

b2 is out. Now has new settings for the acceleration and speed separately, supports third (middle), fourth and fifth click, so I can do XDarwin again. All I ever wanted was to have enter on my thumb button (to click away those annoying "are you sure..." dialogs).
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Boondoggle
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 5, 2002, 08:30 AM

I ran B1 w/o problems for a few days. I installed B2 (following instructions...) and had Major problems... First, it was not recognised by my "user" accts, only the Admin acct. Second, I can no longer print from "user" accounts, only Admin accts. Third, Oni won't launch, because OGL wont initialize. Seems to have killed my OGL.

Bummer.
1.25GHz PowerBook

i vostri seni sono spettacolari

Forum Links
Forum Rules