Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > printing a panorama

printing a panorama
flyhigh37
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 2, 2001, 06:28 PM

I have a panorama picture created using my digital camera that is nearly 270 degrees. Upon finding a curved picture frame to house it in, I'd love to print it, but am not sure how to. I have an Epson Stylus Photo 870 printer. Does anyone know if there is a spool attachment available for this printer?? Otherwise, will photo development places print it for me in such a odd lenth?? Any solutions anywhere?? thanks for the tips
-flyer

itomato
Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2001, 06:34 PM

Originally posted by flyhigh37:
<STRONG>I have a panorama picture created using my digital camera that is nearly 270 degrees. Upon finding a curved picture frame to house it in, I'd love to print it, but am not sure how to. I have an Epson Stylus Photo 870 printer. Does anyone know if there is a spool attachment available for this printer?? Otherwise, will photo development places print it for me in such a odd lenth?? Any solutions anywhere?? thanks for the tips
-flyer</STRONG>
How big does the final output need to be?
-- | T () /\/\ /.\ T () --

flyhigh37  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 2, 2001, 07:59 PM

well I'd like to make it at 100% resolution. So that means that they are going to be....10136x912 for one of the panoramas, and 2438x499. HMMMM, looking at that in photoshop, thats 135 inches by 12 inches. Doesn't sound too reasonable. So maybe I will just do it at the largest possible. I would be completely content if they ended up having the height of a 3x5 photo (obviously being longer that 5 inches).

MikeM32
Banned
Location: &quot;Joisey&quot; Home of the &quot;Guido&quot; and chicks with &quot;Big Hair&quot;
Jul 6, 2001, 09:49 PM

When you output the photo from Photoshop can't you just manually tile it? Then you can move the "X" zero axis over several times to get more and more of the image.

You'll start out by printing with the X zero point all the way "left", then the next output you can move the zero point over more.

You may also be capable of outputting using "automatic tiling". In either case you do want to make sure you have a decent "overlap" so you'll have a little bit to match up from print to print when you splice them together. Candling them (looking at them on a light-table or some other means helps in that department).

I don't output alot directly from Photoshop, but I know in Quark this is definitely do-able. If you had something like QuarkXPress you could even try just importing the whole image into it. But it's possible this isn't even necessary.

I think Illustrator also has Tiling capabilities, so you might be capable of placing the image into Illustrator as-well and printing from there.

Mike

flyhigh37  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 8, 2001, 11:49 PM

Thank you Mike, a good suggestion that I will look into. That will be my only option if nothing else works. However I had been hoping that there would be a way of printing the panoramas onto a single piece of paper. I have seen the spools and rolls of photo paper available for some printers, and had wondered if this was not possible on my Epson Stylus Photo 870, or even better yet if a commercial photo lab was capable of taking my digital image and printing it out onto a custom length piece of photo paper? Perhaps my expectations are too high though in which case i am grateful for Mike's suggestion, and will look into it.
-flyhigh

MikeM32
Banned
Location: &quot;Joisey&quot; Home of the &quot;Guido&quot; and chicks with &quot;Big Hair&quot;
Jul 9, 2001, 10:26 PM

fly as for the imaging house thing, I know for a fact that there are many that use specialized printers or "plotters" to print on spools of paper, for things like posters and so forth. You'll have to check around your'e area though.

You may even find a few quick print or speedy print shops (These are like the "Fast Food Chains" of the printing business) in your area for that sort of thing.

Good Luck with it

Mike

Forum Links
Forum Rules