Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Photoshop 6 in classic works for me....

Photoshop 6 in classic works for me....
m2bored
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 12, 2002, 09:44 PM

Am I the only one with whom Photshop 6 works perfectly in classic?

I dont have any problem with it at all...

Using Mac OS v10.1 and Classic (9.1)

If this works for everyone why all the fuss about no release of carbonized photoshop yet?

M2

mrtew
Professional Poster
Feb 12, 2002, 09:55 PM

Photoshop works fine for me too, but I still think it's a pain to have to wait for classic to boot up all the time or to keep it running in the background. Also if you are switching back and forth beween Photoshop and other programs all the time (AIM, Sprocket, Finder etc.) it just feels and looks like crapp, like the whole system is flashing and about to seize up or something... it's just not smooth and comfortable like everything else in OSX. Plus it's missing the stability and protected memory etc of OSX apps. It works fine, but I imagine that a native X version would be a lot nicer.

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

Liquidity X
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2002, 09:55 PM

works for me 2. but i have the PS beta and it works even better

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 12, 2002, 09:59 PM

The only problem is the "blank menubar" bug that happens when it doesn't open in the foreground. Other than that it's pretty good. I've had Classic go down while working though and it's a bitch cause it just goes down with no chance of getting anything back. I can't tell if it's a Classic thing or a PS thing. It's only really happened when working in PS.

nigeljedi
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 12, 2002, 11:34 PM

OS X native Photoshop means just one more step to no Classic...ever again! I use PS 6 pretty much all the time (along with Illustrator, GoLive, LiveMotion, etc.), and not having it X native is a pain.
I'm pretty much only waiting for PS to leave Classic behind forever.

nigeljedi
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 12, 2002, 11:36 PM

Oh, and BTW, PS 6 works fine for me in the Classic environment, too, but like John said, it just feels "crappy". I was pulling (what's left) of my hair out with that bug that killed the menubar if you didn't start up Classic first...once I figured that one out, it's worked fine.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 12, 2002, 11:53 PM

PS 6 usually works fine for me in classic, but there's a few glitches beyond the menu bar thing (which is a royal pain) sometimes files dropped on the Photoshop icon in the dock don't open, and I have to do a command+o from within photoshop.

I've gotten some mysterious stalls/lags as well, usually with files that have multiple layers. And it does crash every so often in Classic. It's rock solid (don't recall it EVER crashing) booted into 9.

Also, for some reason, there is NO WAY (drag and drop, file...open.. whatever) on my system at work to open a file directly from a zip disk. Must copy to machine first.

There is a little lag time, and some flashing, moving between Classic and OS X apps, that's annoying. But overall, it's worked pretty well. It's just time to move on.
CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Feb 13, 2002, 12:20 AM

6.0.1 works fine for me, but I'm such a speed pig I would boot into 9.2.2 to use it.
The era of anthropomorphizing hardware is over.

tngland
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 13, 2002, 06:03 AM

Perhaps those of you have Photoshop functioning in Classic can help me. I can get Photoshop to open only if I first go through System Preferences and launch Classic with extensions turned off.
Some background: I have 3 partitions.
One has OS X and a lean OS 9.2.2.
Another has 9.2.2 and is the partition where Photoshop resides.
The third has my full working version of 9.2.2 and this is where I still do the bulk of my work. Photoshop works splendidly here.

I have spent way too much time trying to solve this problem. I probably should just accept it and wait for Photoshop X, but it annoys me that I can't figure it out and I keep thinking that once I do it will help me understand everything (and isn't that worthwhile?).

I have done most of my experimenting with the set of extensions on the partition which has Photoshop. I have removed all of them, letting the machine reinstate a basic set of 8 extensions. I have copied over the entire set from my working partition. I have added & subtracted 2-3 at a time.
Am I concentrating too much on extensions? Could the answer be in the control panels or preferences.
I even reinstalled Photoshop from the CD and reinstalled 9.2.2 from the CD.

Could any of who have solved this give me an idea of what is in your system folder?
All this is on a fairly new TiBook.

Cipher13
Feb 13, 2002, 06:19 AM

It works, technically... but its slow...
Has the usual flaws of Classic apps.

tngland
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 13, 2002, 07:50 AM

I just want to add to my previous post about being unable to get Photoshop to open in Classic without first turning off all extensions.

I have also played around with memory allocation as suggested on other forums. Again, no luck.

And perhaps I should note that I use the 6.01 upgrade. And OS X version 10.1.2

Prijker
Forum Regular
Feb 13, 2002, 09:53 AM

Works great for me 2, including Twain plug-in Epson scanner!
In fact it works absolutely the same under Classic and native OS9.
I also tried the beta Photoshop X, and it looks great, but most plug-ins don't work.
But sure i'll buy it when ready for X!

Prijker

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Feb 13, 2002, 10:00 AM

Originally posted by tngland:
<STRONG>I just want to add to my previous post about being unable to get Photoshop to open in Classic without first turning off all extensions.

I have also played around with memory allocation as suggested on other forums. Again, no luck.

And perhaps I should note that I use the 6.01 upgrade. And OS X version 10.1.2</STRONG>
I don't know what to say except I am running 6.0.1, 10.1.2, and 9.2.2, so perhaps those are the magic numbers. I know Apple highly recommends upgrading to 9.2.2 for using Classic, and it's always a good idea to use the latest version of Photoshop. If you have 6, just get the 6.0.1 updater - easy.
The era of anthropomorphizing hardware is over.

nigeljedi
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 13, 2002, 10:17 AM

Perhaps those of you have Photoshop functioning in Classic can help me. I can get Photoshop to open only if I first go through System Preferences and launch Classic with extensions turned off.
Some background: I have 3 partitions.
One has OS X and a lean OS 9.2.2.
Another has 9.2.2 and is the partition where Photoshop resides.
The third has my full working version of 9.2.2 and this is where I still do the bulk of my work. Photoshop works splendidly here.

I have spent way too much time trying to solve this problem. I probably should just accept it and wait for Photoshop X, but it annoys me that I can't figure it out and I keep thinking that once I do it will help me understand everything (and isn't that worthwhile?).

I have done most of my experimenting with the set of extensions on the partition which has Photoshop. I have removed all of them, letting the machine reinstate a basic set of 8 extensions. I have copied over the entire set from my working partition. I have added & subtracted 2-3 at a time.
Am I concentrating too much on extensions? Could the answer be in the control panels or preferences.
I even reinstalled Photoshop from the CD and reinstalled 9.2.2 from the CD.

Could any of who have solved this give me an idea of what is in your system folder?
All this is on a fairly new TiBook.
What does PS do if you don't start up Classic w/o extensions? Does it just hang, or what? Or, do you get some other strange aberrancy?

tngland
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 13, 2002, 05:10 PM

What does PS do if you don't start up Classic w/o extensions?
There are a couple of quick blinks and then I'm back in the Finder.
This happens if Classic is already running, or if it is not.

My other OS 9 (Classic) apps open just fine.

Forum Links
Forum Rules