Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Pauses, freezes and hangs in Panther

Pauses, freezes and hangs in Panther
rlmorel
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 31, 2004, 01:51 AM

Hi All,
I have a wonderful box, G5DP, 2.5GB RAM, 2x250GB drives,etc, running Panther, everything updated. Everything was running great, fabulous, speedy! Out of the blue a few days ago, I was listening to iTunes...and it just stopped...then continued...then stopped. Now, If I ctrl click to bring up contextual menu, i get beachball for maybe 5 seconds...if I open a window...beachball for 5 sec or so...if I do something in Photoshop...unresponsive, then works...then unresponsive.

Repaired disk permissions, got plenty of space on the drive...got plenty of memory free, nothing looks weird in TOP, page in/out was 29192/101, which doesn't look weird to me.

The only thing I can find that looks strange is...spikes in disk activity. In activity monitor, Disk Activity tab, the little graphic shows spikes that go all the way to the top on data out at somewhat regular intervals.CLICK HERE TO SEE THE SPIKE

Anyone have any ideas...please? This is a bummer...

"An argument isn't just saying 'No it isn't'!" "Yes it is!" "NO IT ISN'T!"

OzCam
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 31, 2004, 03:01 AM

If it makes you feel any better, you are definitely not alone with this problem.

Seems many other panther users are experiencing the problems you describe. I was having similar problems with 10.3.3 myself, so I ended up reformatting and reinstalling Panther- so far so good. It seems that no one knows exactly what the problem is, but if you search through the forums here, you will find a post about Panther behaving badly also.

Good luck

bergy
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 31, 2004, 06:19 AM

Take a look here ...

http://www.macattorney.com/tutorial.html#Anchor-38414

Also, do you do regular maintenance ... this can't hurt ..

For trouble free OSX computing ... I recommend these steps and apps ..

After any update .. Repair permissions: Close all files and applications on the disk you want to repair. Go to Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility and double click it. Then select your hard drive in the left panel and First Aid at the top. Then click on "Repair Permissions." It will take a few minutes.

Essential Maintenance Tools

Macaroni ... Just Set It and Forget It!
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/9633

Why should you have to remember to clean up your Mac every day, every week, and every month? Shouldn't a computer be able to remember for you?

Macaroni is a tool which handles regular maintenance for Mac OS X, including the Mac OS X repair privileges process as well as Unix-style maintenance. Without Macaroni, some of these tasks normally run in the middle of the night, and don't get run unless you leave your Mac on all night. Others don't run automatically at all, and won't happen unless you remember when they're due.
Macaroni remembers the schedule for you!
Macaroni runs these maintenance tasks on a regular schedule, regardless of when your Mac is on. If a scheduled maintenance task is not run when it's normally scheduled, Macaroni automatically ensures that it's run at the next opportunity, whenever the Mac is on.

Also every month or so .... or right now considering your problems
Cache Out X
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/9538
Cache Out X clears out the cache entries on your machine, helping you recover valuable disk space on your machine. Items removed include the caches in System, Users, and Library, along with the Internet Explorer download cache. Optionally clears the IE's history cache as well.
Tiger 10.4.8

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Mar 31, 2004, 07:32 AM

Originally posted by rlmorel:
Hi All,
I have a wonderful box, G5DP, 2.5GB RAM, 2x250GB drives,etc, running Panther, everything updated. Everything was running great, fabulous, speedy! Out of the blue a few days ago, I was listening to iTunes...and it just stopped...then continued...then stopped. Now, If I ctrl click to bring up contextual menu, i get beachball for maybe 5 seconds...if I open a window...beachball for 5 sec or so...if I do something in Photoshop...unresponsive, then works...then unresponsive.

Repaired disk permissions, got plenty of space on the drive...got plenty of memory free, nothing looks weird in TOP, page in/out was 29192/101, which doesn't look weird to me.

The only thing I can find that looks strange is...spikes in disk activity. In activity monitor, Disk Activity tab, the little graphic shows spikes that go all the way to the top on data out at somewhat regular intervals.CLICK HERE TO SEE THE SPIKE

Anyone have any ideas...please? This is a bummer...
Mine only ever has this problem when iTunes is running.

Forum Links
Forum Rules