Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Marketplace > Wanted: PowerBook 1400/117

Wanted: PowerBook 1400/117
l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2009, 01:23 AM

Hi
Does anyone have a free or very cheap powerbook 1400 lying around? I have this old powerbook 540 that i've used over the years whenever i need to bridge some ancient macs with some modern ones. But it really doesn't work very well with modern ones these days. Something like a 1400 would be much easier. Plus the 540 is literally falling apart. I specifically say the 117 because faster models has a newer minimum version of Mac OS, the 117 can run 7.5.3 which is good for what I'm trying to do with it.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2009, 04:47 PM

I have a 1400cs/117. i'll check to see if it still works. I'll get back to you. I'll be back in Boston on the 13th.
edit:
it powers on, but has no battery, and the os is 8.5. there isn't a cd drive, but there is a floppy drive. the ram is 60MB (52 + 8 on board) and it has a 5.5GB hard drive. speed is 117.

let me know before the 13th please.
( Last edited by brassplayersrock²; Jan 7, 2009 at 05:17 PM. )

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2009, 01:40 AM

Do you have the original disks that came with the machine? That would be 7.5.3? Also how solid is the computer? Is the hinge firm? I have an old 520c and the screen feels like it's falling off the base most of the time. Any chance it has a network card? As long as the hinge is ok and not falling apart I'll take it. PM me and let me know how much (if anything :-) ) you want for it. We can M.I.R.L. when you're back in town ;-)

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2009, 05:32 AM

no disks, very solid computer, hinges work just fine. not sure on the network card. I'll PM you closer to the 13th. Only price I was going to ask was for s&h, but if the meet occurs, then it's yours.

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2009, 05:43 AM

Sounds like a deal then. I think I can get 7.5 from apple.com anyway... and i'll just find some floppies. many many floppies :-D

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 13, 2009, 10:00 PM

Hey so today is the 13th.... are you in town now?

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2009, 02:45 AM

check PMs

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2009, 09:08 PM

all went well with giving him the laptop. I'm glad it found a good home where it'll be used for a job.

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2009, 11:24 PM

The specs were way off but its free so I guess I can't complain :-)

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2009, 12:58 AM

what were they? I just went off the post it on the laptop that was on it when I received it.

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2009, 01:03 AM

Yeah that note was way off. It said 60 MB of RAM, the machine only has 12 MB. And it said 5.5GB HD but the machine has about 800 MB. Oh well

SOOOOOooooooo........

If anyone has RAM (ideally the max 56 MB chip), or a 1400 ethernet card or cd rom drive... let me know. The hard drive is standard 2.5" IDE so I can get my hands on one of those easy enough.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2009, 02:39 AM

aw man, I'm sorry buddy. I got the laptop (for free) from a guy on these boards a year or so ago for collector sake. hmmp. I'll, um, yeah, look him up.

Sorry again for any inconvenience this has brought you.

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2009, 09:57 AM

No biggie, you should just give me a 50% refund :-) That will be $0.00 please. But yeah hit up the guy you bought it from and see if he has any good parts for it lying around!

Forum Links
Forum Rules