Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Battlestar Galactica [SPOILERS]

Battlestar Galactica [SPOILERS] (Page 54)
analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Mar 21, 2007, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
How would know what their contracts are? Hell, the series itself wasn't even picked up for 2 years.

I'm saying typically. After the first season or 2 the contracts are re-negotiated.

Doesn't matter either way really. Actors aside, viewers wouldn't be happy if main cast members leave.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 21, 2007, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
I'm saying typically. After the first season or 2 the contracts are re-negotiated.

Doesn't matter either way really. Actors aside, viewers wouldn't be happy if main cast members leave.
I would be happy if Head-Six and Head-Baltar disappear.

BTW, on 24, main cast members are killed off all the time (except for Kiefer Sutherland). That's part of the reason people like the show.

Visnaut
Senior User
Mar 21, 2007, 04:09 PM

I would be happy if Head-Six and Head-Baltar disappear.
Personally I think they're two of the most interesting and mysterious characters on the show. After 3 seasons, we still have no idea who exactly they are, and whose interests they represent, even though they influence major plot points.
( Last edited by Visnaut; Mar 21, 2007 at 04:44 PM. Reason: clarity)

reader50
Administrator
Mar 21, 2007, 04:29 PM

Yes, I like the Heads too.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Mar 21, 2007, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by Visnaut View Post
Personally I think they're two of the most interesting and mysterious characters on the show.
Same here. If it wasn't for Baltar and head six I don't think I would find the show 1/4 as interesting.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Mar 21, 2007, 05:37 PM

I hope they go soon. They've been too drawn out. It was interesting when they were still raising questions about them, but now the whole idea just seems stagnant.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

reader50
Administrator
Mar 21, 2007, 07:44 PM

Based on our experience here, BSG is doing fine. I'd like to welcome everyone to Page 54 of the thread, and point out that Season 3 started on Page 27.

We're not even done with Season 3 yet, and we've already discussed it as much as Miniseries + Season 1 + Season 2 combined. There may be a slow ep here and there, but they are doing good things.

In case anyone missed it from the Podcast, Athena shared Roslyn's dream at the beginning of the ep. They both chased Hera through the Kobol opera house, only to have Six be the one who catches Hera. They have not admitted it to each other yet though.

( Last edited by reader50; Mar 22, 2007 at 03:12 PM. Reason: added pic)

andi*pandi
Mar 21, 2007, 09:07 PM

You don't like Starbuck and Apollo's acting? I think they're at least OK most of the time.

I think the most versatile is Baltar.
which is interesting. He reminds me of the guy from DS9, except a) he's not, and b) he's a much better actor.

I think apollo's problem is mixed-message scripts, he's written inconsistently. I thought starbuck did very well with her material.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Mar 21, 2007, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
which is interesting. He reminds me of the guy from DS9, except a) he's not, and b) he's a much better actor.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 21, 2007, 11:42 PM

I think apollo's problem is mixed-message scripts, he's written inconsistently. I thought starbuck did very well with her material.
Uh... Alexander Siddig is an excellent actor. Might wanna take a look at some of his work.

If you're basing your opinion solely on DS9, you can blame the writers.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 21, 2007, 11:50 PM

This is where I always remember James Callis from:

As for Alexander Siddig, he's spent most of this season on 24, as a terrorist from the middle east.
( Last edited by Eug; Mar 22, 2007 at 01:22 AM. )

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Mar 22, 2007, 12:58 AM

As for Alexander Siddig, he's spent most of this season on 24, as a terrorist from the middle east.
He was also in some movie playing a middle eastern terrorist wasn't he?

Seems that is what he gets for having an eastern background.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Mar 22, 2007, 01:02 AM

March 7, 2007
NEWS FLASH! The Sunday, March 25, season finale of Battlestar Galactica will run five minutes longer than usual. If you plan on recording the episode, set your DVR or VCR to continue for five to 10 minutes after the end of the hour so you don't miss anything!

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 22, 2007, 01:28 AM

He was also in some movie playing a middle eastern terrorist wasn't he?
Syriana. I haven't seen the movie but AFAIK, no he wasn't a terrorist in it. He plays a prince.

Seems that is what he gets for having an eastern background.
Heh. I like his original name, listed in this Wikipedia bio of him:

Siddig El Tahir El Fadil El Siddig Abderahman Mohammed Ahmed Abdel Karim El Mahdi (Arabic: صدّيق الطاهر الفاضل الصدّيق عبدالرحمن محمد أحمد عبدالكريم المهدي) was born in Sudan, and spent most of his life in England. Born to an English mother and Sudanese father, Siddig describes himself as being a member of the Muslim faith. He is the nephew of English actor Malcolm McDowell, and his paternal uncle is the former Sudanese Prime Minister Sadiq al Mahdi. He studied at St. Lawrence College, Ramsgate. He was credited under the shortened name Siddig El Fadil until October 1995 (about halfway through his role in Star Trek: Deep Space Nine), when he changed his stage name to Alexander Siddig, as he thought it would be less confusing and easier to pronounce by American tongues. In 1997, Siddig married his co-star Nana Visitor; they had a son, Django El Tahir El Siddig, who was born in 1996. Siddig and Visitor eventually divorced in 2001. In 2005 he was briefly involved with his Whose Life Is It Anyway? co-star Kim Cattrall.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Mar 22, 2007, 10:53 AM

Oh dear lord. I just watched the trailer for next week with anders flat out saying "It's true, we're Cylons" with flashes of Adama and some others.
That could just be Anders responding sarcasticly to something and the producers throwing in pics of the main characters who the possibility of being Cylons would generate the most interest and drive up viewer numbers for the next episode.

I'm more interested in what Tigh seems to think is "in the ship".

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Mar 22, 2007, 11:23 AM

the least convincing is Boomer
Boomer is way uneven, and I kind of think it's at least partially the writing the writing. Boomer sucked for most of season 1, and I blame Grace Park for that. Then in season 2, she started actually pulling out some convincing chops and I found the character really interesting. Then this season she's slid back to blah, but I think it's because she hasn't really been given much to work with. I guess there's only so many ways you can say "ZOMG MAI BABEE!"
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Mar 22, 2007, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
Uh... Alexander Siddig is an excellent actor. Might wanna take a look at some of his work.
Like what? He was really really bad in DS9 and in Vertical Limit?

What does he play well? A middle eastern guy?

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 22, 2007, 12:43 PM

This week, season 3 ends. Season 4 will likely begin in November, 8 months from now. Damn you, Sci-Fi!

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Mar 22, 2007, 12:46 PM

SCI FI Channel has increased its episode order for the fourth season of Battlestar Galactica to 22 from the original 13, including a special two-hour extended episode that will air during the fourth quarter of this year and be released on DVD by Universal Studios Home Entertainment thereafter. SCI FI made the announcement at its upfront press event in New York on March 21.

Battlestar Galactica will air its season-three finale on March 25 in its regular Sunday 10 p.m. ET/PT timeslot. Production will begin on the new season in May, with an eye to an early 2008 premiere.

The series is from NBC Universal Television Studio and is executive-produced by Ronald D. Moore and David Eick.

SCI FI Wire | The News Service of the SCI FI Channel

WHY 2008? Are they nuts? Why start production in May and not air it for almost a year? Do they have to build all new sets or something?

jokell82
Professional Poster
Mar 22, 2007, 01:04 PM

SCI FI Channel has increased its episode order for the fourth season of Battlestar Galactica to 22 from the original 13, including a special two-hour extended episode that will air during the fourth quarter of this year and be released on DVD by Universal Studios Home Entertainment thereafter. SCI FI made the announcement at its upfront press event in New York on March 21.

Battlestar Galactica will air its season-three finale on March 25 in its regular Sunday 10 p.m. ET/PT timeslot. Production will begin on the new season in May, with an eye to an early 2008 premiere.

The series is from NBC Universal Television Studio and is executive-produced by Ronald D. Moore and David Eick.

SCI FI Wire | The News Service of the SCI FI Channel

WHY 2008? Are they nuts? Why start production in May and not air it for almost a year? Do they have to build all new sets or something?
Isn't that pretty much exactly what they did between seasons 2 and 3? And it wouldn't be "almost a year," it'd be just over a half a year.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

reader50
Administrator
Mar 22, 2007, 01:13 PM

Compared to the 13-ep half season of the original 4th season order?

I'll take it.

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Mar 22, 2007, 02:13 PM

Hopefully that'll tie us over...
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

scottiB
Professional Poster
Mar 22, 2007, 02:18 PM

So, that's 2 hours in 4Q 2007, and 20 eps (or 20 hours) in 2008. I'm curious if this will be the last season. RDM, in his "Maelstrom" podcast, said he felt the series had entered its 3rd act with the death of Starbuck.
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

reader50
Administrator
Mar 22, 2007, 02:49 PM

Normally, the show has a Teaser section at the beginning to get you started, the Title section, then 4 Acts + Credits. "Beginning of the 3rd Act" would be a little over halfway through. I'm guessing 5 seasons total.

This latest ep (Crossroads 1) threatened to run long. So much so that they got special permission from the studio to skip the Title section. "The Cylons were created by man ... And They Have A Plan" wasn't in this ep at all. The character credits had to be screened over the Teaser section. This is after most of Act 4 was brought over from Crossroads 2, which is itself scheduled to run at least 5 minutes long on air time.

I'm thinking Crossroads 2 will also be missing the Title section, and still run over. We're getting another extended Season Finale, just not quite as long as Season 2 did.
( Last edited by reader50; Mar 22, 2007 at 03:13 PM. )

scottiB
Professional Poster
Mar 22, 2007, 05:04 PM

I'm sorry reader50, I meant (and at least thought that RDM referred to) the third act of the series arc.

Act I = Mini to "Resurrection Ship, Part II" (Mini plus 25 episodes)
Act II = "Epiphanies" to "Dirty Hands" (24 episodes)
Act III = "Maelstrom" to end of Season 4? (24 episodes plus 2 hour DVD)

My first act break is somewhat arbitrary.
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

andi*pandi
Mar 22, 2007, 05:08 PM

I've heard 3 acts used in reference to theatre many times, but never 4 acts.

"if you introduce a gun in the first act, it better go off in the third." etc...

reader50
Administrator
Mar 22, 2007, 07:23 PM

RDM got started on Star Trek TNG, and has done TV series almost exclusively ever since. I'd guess that he was talking about TV episode acts (4) rather than theatre acts (3).

Episodes almost always run long, and have to be cut down to fit. The series may go that way also. Even with the 1-year skip at the end of season 2, ~2.9 years have passed in the BSG universe compared to 3.25 in our world. The main BSG story tends to develop slowly.

I'm hoping we got the full season order + long bonus episode because BSG's ratings picked up. Not because RDM promised to wrap up the series in Season 4.

Likewise, I'm hoping the long delay before Season 4 begins airing is caused by a budget increase for special effects work, which would increase the post-production time.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 23, 2007, 06:58 AM

First season and secondary characters perhaps. But by 3rd season the main actors would definitely get a contract for at least 2 years.

Kat was practically a C list cast member so I am not surprised she found out the hard way.
I wouldn't say they would 'definitely' get a two year contract when earlier this week it was reported that the show may end after season four. The fact that they just ordered two more episodes for season four (22 instead of 20) doesn't seem to bode well at all.
Nemo me impune lacesset

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Mar 23, 2007, 09:47 AM

I've heard 3 acts used in reference to theatre many times, but never 4 acts.

"if you introduce a gun in the first act, it better go off in the third." etc...
Most modern theatre is done in 3 acts, and your average classical Narrative runs in 3 acts, but Shakespeare most often wrote in 5 acts. The reference to 3 acts in the case of RDM (IMO) is simply stating that The show is on it's closing piece (which doesn't mean that it can't go on for another 2 full seasons... it just means that climax, and conflict resolution are up next.)
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Mar 23, 2007, 11:28 AM

So which Cylon ripped out Tigh's eye?

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Mar 23, 2007, 12:06 PM

So which Cylon ripped out Tigh's eye?
We really don't know, but if I were to take a guess I would think that it was a Doral, or maybe Brother Cavel. I can't really see any of the others doing something like that.
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Mar 23, 2007, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by ThinkInsane View Post
I wouldn't say they would 'definitely' get a two year contract when earlier this week it was reported that the show may end after season four. The fact that they just ordered two more episodes for season four (22 instead of 20) doesn't seem to bode well at all.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't BSG still Sci-Fi's first or second highest-rated show?
Chuck
___

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Mar 23, 2007, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by SirCastor View Post
We really don't know, but if I were to take a guess I would think that it was a Doral, or maybe Brother Cavel. I can't really see any of the others doing something like that.
Well I am just wondering why D'Anna apologized to one of the final 5.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Mar 23, 2007, 01:24 PM

How does that tie in with Tigh's eye?

goMac
Posting Junkie
Mar 23, 2007, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
It's possible D'Anna knew about what happened to Tigh, although I don't really think so. I don't think she ever had any face time with Tigh, even after New Caprica.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Mar 23, 2007, 01:34 PM

Tune in Sunday

reader50
Administrator
Mar 23, 2007, 01:41 PM

Probably thinking about if Tigh were a Cylon. Which isn't possible in my book, Tigh has been around too long.

Originally Posted by ThinkInsane View Post
The fact that they just ordered two more episodes for season four (22 instead of 20) doesn't seem to bode well at all.
They just ordered 9 more episodes, not 2 more. They had ordered 13 eps, and increased that to the regular 20 plus a 2-hour special ep to air before Season 4 starts.

For reference, the Season 3 webisodes added up to about the length of a single regular episode, so Season 4 now is a full-length season with a double-length lead-in to bridge the gap between 3 and 4.
( Last edited by reader50; Mar 23, 2007 at 01:49 PM. Reason: typo)

finboy
Mar 23, 2007, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by scottiB View Post
I'm sorry reader50, I meant (and at least thought that RDM referred to) the third act of the series arc.

Act I = Mini to "Resurrection Ship, Part II" (Mini plus 25 episodes)
Act II = "Epiphanies" to "Dirty Hands" (24 episodes)
Act III = "Maelstrom" to end of Season 4? (24 episodes plus 2 hour DVD)

My first act break is somewhat arbitrary.

Which act included the shark that was jumped?

mrtew
Professional Poster
Mar 23, 2007, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by finboy View Post
Which act included the shark that was jumped?
oh for gods sake, anyone that thinks the shark has been jumped is no longer watching the show, let alone reading this thread so shut up already.... it wasn't even funny the first 25 times.

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 23, 2007, 07:15 PM

I think "finwuss" just learned the expression, so he's using it all too frequently because he's so hip and excited.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

reader50
Administrator
Mar 25, 2007, 12:17 AM

Further info on the DVD "2.0 + 2.5" release.

Another site got the details on the release. It's just a combo packaging of the existing 2.0 and 2.5 sets. No remastering to address the deficiencies of those sets.

Looks like those of us who want a proper release of Season 2 will have to go on waiting. If Universal stalls around enough on this, the HD / BDR people may end up winning the argument after all.

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Mar 25, 2007, 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by mrtew View Post
oh for gods sake, anyone that thinks the shark has been jumped is no longer watching the show, let alone reading this thread so shut up already.... it wasn't even funny the first 25 times.
I've been watching the show since the beginning, and I think it's getting worse. More specifically, it seems that the show has lost its focus. A lot of the episodes now seem to be people yelling at each other for no particular reason with plots and themes which go all over the place. I do know that Ron Moore isn't writing them anymore (or not writing them all) and it shows. He's the one with the vision and the ability to pull it off. More and more it's Battlestar Melodramatica.
The era of anthropomorphizing hardware is over.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 25, 2007, 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by Don Pickett View Post
I've been watching the show since the beginning, and I think it's getting worse. More specifically, it seems that the show has lost its focus. A lot of the episodes now seem to be people yelling at each other for no particular reason with plots and themes which go all over the place. I do know that Ron Moore isn't writing them anymore (or not writing them all) and it shows. He's the one with the vision and the ability to pull it off. More and more it's Battlestar Melodramatica.
I agree. Whether or not Moore is writing them, the bottom line is that it is losing coherence.

A lot of the intended "dramatic tension" introduced in some episodes is either just irritating or else just 'meh' and superfluous.

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Mar 25, 2007, 02:07 AM

I agree. Whether or not Moore is writing them, the bottom line is that it is losing coherence.

A lot of the intended "dramatic tension" introduced in some episodes is either just irritating or else just 'meh' and superfluous.
I have a general rule of thumb: the more time the characters spend yelling at each other, the less that's actually happening.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Mar 25, 2007, 02:12 AM

I've been watching the show since the beginning, and I think it's getting worse.
Rewatch the first season. I do think a lot of recent episodes have been ****, but only about as **** as the early parts of the first season. We've just been spoiled by the awesomeness of the second season. And the last couple of episodes have been awesome.
Chuck
___

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 25, 2007, 02:14 AM

I preferred the first season.

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Mar 25, 2007, 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Rewatch the first season. I do think a lot of recent episodes have been ****, but only about as **** as the early parts of the first season. We've just been spoiled by the awesomeness of the second season. And the last couple of episodes have been awesome.
But there was a reason for the tension of the first season: they were the last people alive, constantly running from an implacable enemy. I believed the tension then. Now it's just bad writing.

greenamp
Mac Elite
Mar 25, 2007, 02:32 AM

Oh dear lord. I just watched the trailer for next week with anders flat out saying "It's true, we're Cylons" with flashes of Adama and some others.

Unless there is a damn good story behind that I think the show just jumped the shark for me in one damn episode.
Sounded to me like he said, "If that's true, we're all Cylons..."

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Mar 25, 2007, 02:44 AM

But there was a reason for the tension of the first season: they were the last people alive, constantly running from an implacable enemy. I believed the tension then. Now it's just bad writing.
Nah, it was hamfisted and boring then, it's hamfisted and boring now. The way I feel towards many of the episodes this season is the same way I felt towards much of the first season. There just weren't so many people watching at first and nobody had seen what the show was really capable of.
Chuck
___

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Mar 25, 2007, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Nah, it was hamfisted and boring then, it's hamfisted and boring now. The way I feel towards many of the episodes this season is the same way I felt towards much of the first season. There just weren't so many people watching at first and nobody had seen what the show was really capable of.
I think up until they started the self contained episodes at the end of season 3 the season was fantastic overall. Perhaps it got a bit too religious and too depressing/dark but each season has its own feel to it which I love. No other show I have watched can you immediately figure out what season it is just by the look of the characters and setting.

Season 1 was great but that is to be expected. First it was only 13 episodes plus back then coming up with stories was easy as there was so much to say and do it practically wrote itself.

Season 2 was almost perfect with the exception of Blackmarket and a could other "meh" ones. The episodes with Cain and Pegasus was some of the best BSG ever.

Season 3 was dark/depressing/sad and by this point they really have to start doing and showing something different. I think they did an awesome job of showing the cylon side of things and the information on the final 5 really picked things up.

I can't wait to see what direction they go in for season 4. I get the feeling it will be something really drastic.

I remember before Voyager went off the air the writers were considering having them get home at the beginning of the season and spend the rest of the shows life dealing with the consequences of what happened while they were lost and the **** they have to deal with now that they are back. If you saw the final episode and season the way it actually went you wish they would have had the balls to go trough with their original idea.

Forum Links
Forum Rules