Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > unprecedented video of Steve Jobs just chatting about iPad

unprecedented video of Steve Jobs just chatting about iPad
macintologist
Professional Poster
Jan 29, 2010, 10:57 PM

Steve Jobs chats with Walt Mossberg about the iPad. Steve is really intimidating! Walt Mossberg seems to be afraid to ask any tough questions about the iPad.

I've never seen a video of Steve Jobs just having a conversation with someone. It's only been Jobs interviewing or presenting.

Flash-free video link:
http://m.wsj.net/video/20100128/0128...mossy_320k.mp4

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2010, 11:15 PM

That video was just... weird. It's strange seeing Stevsie like that. I like how she calls him "el jobso".

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Jan 29, 2010, 11:22 PM

Thanks for a Flash-free link! And wow, yes Steve is wonderfully intimidating.. his self-confidence is almost tangible.

It's good to have Steve.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Atheist
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2010, 11:37 PM

I thought he came off cold and disinterested.... it was almost uncomfortable to watch.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 29, 2010, 11:42 PM

Jobs is a genius in front of hundreds of people.
He is a tyrant in front of a small number of people.

That's the way he is. That's what makes him successful.
Jobs is truly remarkable. Very few visionaries and geniuses are able to implement and capitalize on their creative genius. Jobs did it.

-t

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2010, 11:54 PM

Well, Apple is his baby, and he knows what he wants and won't stop until he gets it. I'd love to work for someone like that. After the ignorant ****s I worked for the in Navy for 20 years who don't know jack, working for Mr. Jobs would be nice.

Andy8
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2010, 12:05 AM

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 30, 2010, 12:07 AM

Hitler is the new Haha guy.

-t

Cold Warrior
Jan 30, 2010, 12:12 AM

Interesting to see Steve in the wild like that. Even through video that is very close RDF exposure.

edit: I followed that video with the first 5 minutes of the iPad keynote and the contrast is fun to see.
( Last edited by Cold Warrior; Jan 30, 2010 at 12:41 AM. )

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 30, 2010, 02:23 AM

Originally Posted by Andy8 View Post

This seems to be a variant of the Hitler Buddy Rich video. Same video footage, I think...

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 30, 2010, 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
This seems to be a variant of the Hitler Buddy Rich video. Same video footage, I think...
Uhm, yeah, there are dozens of the same video with different footage. It's become an epidemic.

-t

PB2K
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2010, 03:39 AM

maybe jobs is just tired of a man asking boring questions about his not so awesome product.
{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

bigunit
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 30, 2010, 03:53 AM

Nice find! Good toy. Not necessary.

philm
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2010, 06:33 AM

Intimidating? He seemed a bit edgy and out of his comfort zone to me. Better on the big stage, where he is fantastic.

Salty
Professional Poster
Jan 30, 2010, 08:43 AM

I think Jobs just didn't appreciate the annoying woman there... not to mention I think he was a bit on edge. I'm surprised he went out and talked with somebody, I'd have thought he'd be hanging back avoiding crowds. You can tell Steve cares a lot about the success of the iPad and I think Mossberg's bringing up Amazon as if they had something on Apple was a bit of a piss of... which really if you're Steve wouldn't that piss you off? I mean call me an apologist but I agree, just charge the damn thing! I mean the number of people who are going to use this first and foremost as an ebook reader is just a fraction of the eventual user base. For me, when I get one it'll be web browsing, photos, various apps, Pages, it's not gonna be to read books that often. Sure I'll probably actually read more as a result of owning this thing, especially if they port iBooks to the iPhone. But 10 hours is a really long time, and I think Walt was fixated on that and I'd have been annoyed too.

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Jan 30, 2010, 10:48 AM

He looked really sketchy.

Never seen him like this. Weird.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 30, 2010, 03:05 PM

The discussion between Jobs and Goatbeard about Amazon prices has come true: The Apple-Amazon Ebook War Begins: Amazon Deletes Macmillan Books - Amazon - Gizmodo

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 30, 2010, 03:12 PM

BTW, saving and emailing Pages documents as Word files right on the iPad is a nice surprise. But I guess Apple understood emailing native Pages documents would be of limited use to most people.

Also, I expect a version of Word and Excel to run on the iPad. Microsoft won't leave money on the table like that.

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 30, 2010, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by kmkkid View Post
He looked really sketchy.

Never seen him like this. Weird.
He acts like a cult leader who is uncomfortable with impromptu questioning. It's like when Scientology figures are approached out of nowhere by a reporter.

pooka
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2010, 03:57 PM

He just seems mildly annoyed and curt. I'm sure Apple has spend a great deal of time making the iPad do what it does and these questions/comparisons seem retarded. To him.

"To me... it seems like.. I mean... 10 hours... thats not a lot of time... compared to an... HP calculator..."

"Just recharge it, jacktard. Knock yourself out with the review. Type it up, export it and shove it up your ass. I don't care if you live another day. And get off my table. "

New, Improved and Legal in 50 States

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 30, 2010, 04:00 PM

At the same time, it is clear that SJ is a manager who is not caught up in the bullshit heavy business/marketing language and tactics so common among IT business manager types. He could have used all of this high brow sort of calculated, political sort of language, but instead he comes across as just a regular dude that you can just talk with without all of this pretense. Mossberg seemed a little more in his formal interview-mode mode than SJ.

glideslope
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 30, 2010, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Jobs is a genius in front of hundreds of people.
He is a tyrant in front of a small number of people.

That's the way he is. That's what makes him successful.
Jobs is truly remarkable. Very few visionaries and geniuses are able to implement and capitalize on their creative genius. Jobs did it.

-t
Not with the iPad. Not by a mile.
To know your Enemy, you must become your Enemy.ā€
Sun Tzu

glideslope
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 30, 2010, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
He acts like a cult leader who is uncomfortable with impromptu questioning. It's like when Scientology figures are approached out of nowhere by a reporter.
Scary analogy. I see it though. I could see Tim leaving Apple over the iPad failure.
To know your Enemy, you must become your Enemy.ā€
Sun Tzu

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 30, 2010, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by glideslope View Post
Not with the iPad. Not by a mile.
Let me guess: you were one of the visionaries that predicted the iPod would fail ?

Steve's track record so far speaks FOR him. To announce that he failed this time is very bold.
I don't know you, but I doubt anything in your background would impress me enough to seriously think that you have the authority to back up such a claim.

-t

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2010, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by pooka View Post

"To me... it seems like.. I mean... 10 hours... thats not a lot of time... compared to an... HP calculator..."

"Just recharge it, jacktard. Knock yourself out with the review. Type it up, export it and shove it up your ass. I don't care if you live another day. And get off my table. "

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 31, 2010, 02:36 AM

I agree that was painful, but mostly because of the awkward, can't-stop-interrupting-each-other conversation between Walt Mossberg and Kara Swisher, not anything to do with Steve Jobs. And i do not ever need to see Walt that up close and personal ever again. Take a step or two back, Kara. Yeesh.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 31, 2010, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
You're nuts. Jobs handles interviews very well. The guy is now sick, probably exhausted by the demo prep work, and having a conversation in a loud and crowded room. There's nothing odd about Steve's behaviour here.

Brien
Professional Poster
Feb 1, 2010, 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Uhm, yeah, there are dozens of the same video with different footage. It's become an epidemic.

-t
Yeah, it was funny 2 years ago. Now it's just like "really?".

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Feb 1, 2010, 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by Brien View Post
Yeah, it was funny 2 years ago. Now it's just like "really?".
It's pretty much impossible to keep on top of internet video content trends unless you watch a lot of them and really follow this, I've pretty much given up on this and find myself surprised by what is new to me but old to others.

I know I'm not the only one, I know several people that missed out on some videos and things that I figured everybody knew about: All your Base, Star Wars Kid, fail, icanhazcheezburger talk, etc.

iDaver
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 1, 2010, 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
You're nuts. Jobs handles interviews very well. <snip> There's nothing odd about Steve's behaviour here.
I agree. He's just like any salesman talking up his product.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 1, 2010, 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
It's pretty much impossible to keep on top of internet video content trends unless you watch a lot of them and really follow this, I've pretty much given up on this and find myself surprised by what is new to me but old to others.
That's no problem. We're here to edumacate you

-t

Forum Links
Forum Rules