Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPad -why no radio?

iPad -why no radio?
dzp111
Senior User
Jul 18, 2010, 11:34 AM

Just wondering why the iPod in my iPad doesn't contain the Radio under the library.
.................................................. .................................................. ..................................www.DNCH.com

.................................................. .................................................. .......................www.daniel.poirier.com

dzp111  (op)
Senior User
Jul 18, 2010, 03:20 PM

Well, after some digging around it looks like Pandora Radio was what I'm looking for. Unfortunately it is no longer in the App store.

.................................................. .................................................. ..................................www.DNCH.com

.................................................. .................................................. .......................www.daniel.poirier.com

-Q-
Jul 18, 2010, 05:53 PM

This app: Pandora Radio for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store ?

If not, I have no idea what you're talking about.

dzp111  (op)
Senior User
Jul 18, 2010, 06:11 PM

Thanks for the link -Q-

Whenever I click on it, it wants my Apple ID and credit card info. Yet, I've been downloading free apps for the longest time (a few hours ago in fact).

I don't get it.

Andy8
Mac Elite
Jul 18, 2010, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by dzp111 View Post
Thanks for the link -Q-

Whenever I click on it, it wants my Apple ID and credit card info. Yet, I've been downloading free apps for the longest time (a few hours ago in fact).

I don't get it.
Perhaps because the link that -Q- provided points you to the US store, when in fact you need the Canadian store (which would have your apple ID and so on already).

dzp111  (op)
Senior User
Jul 18, 2010, 09:23 PM

In which case, Pandora is not available in Canada?

Bummer if so.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 18, 2010, 09:40 PM

Per their site:
Thanks to the way our music licensing works, you have to live in the United States to use Pandora. You also have to be at least 13 years old. Pandora can only be used if you are in the United States.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

dzp111  (op)
Senior User
Jul 18, 2010, 10:00 PM

Nice. But why then am I allowed to have free Internet radio on my Canadian iTunes on my Canadian MacBook but not on my Canadian iPad's iTunes??

Weird..

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jul 18, 2010, 10:38 PM

Bummer if so.
Yep, Pandora has been blocked in Canada since 2006.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 19, 2010, 07:28 AM

Nice. But why then am I allowed to have free Internet radio on my Canadian iTunes on my Canadian MacBook but not on my Canadian iPad's iTunes??

Weird..
The provider is responsible for licensing, so all those Internet radio sites handle the licensing-and are responsible for where the music they provide is heard. Pandora has a different kind of licensing (probably having to do with how they generate playlists), which requires some limitations on them.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Atheist
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2010, 07:49 AM

Bummer if so.
It sucks that Pandora is not available for those of us outside the U.S. however there is an alternative called Grooveshark that is available everywhere. The bad news is that Apple won't approve their mobile app for the iPhone/iPod/iPad. Their mobile app is available (via Cydia) if you've jailbroken your phone and it's also available on other mobile phones. The mobile app requires a US$3.00 per month subscription (browser-based listening is free).

Phileas
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2010, 01:04 PM

Last FM also works in Canada. The app doesn't show up in the Canadian app store, which is weird, but last.fm works just fine.

I've heard that there are people who open a US iTunes account from up here so they can circumvent this nonsense...

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Jul 19, 2010, 01:22 PM

I think he's actually wondering why iTunes for iPad (iPod app) doesn't have internet radio, like iTunes for OS X does.

In which case I have no idea why Apple wouldn't include this feature. I also wonder why they left coverflow out of the iPad iPod app.

dzp111  (op)
Senior User
Jul 19, 2010, 01:48 PM

SUCCESS!!! I'm now American! (iTunes only)

Is this considered illegal? Hope not.

Thanks all!

dzp111  (op)
Senior User
Jul 19, 2010, 01:58 PM

Scratch that. Pandora knows which country I live in.

sigh

Phileas
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2010, 02:58 PM

Last Fm does what Pandora does. Sometimes even better.

If you really want Pandora, go right ahead. Keep in mind that while you're not breaking any Canadian law, you're forcing them to break the terms of their licensing agreement. If enough people do that, bad things might happen to pandora.

Having said that, it is common knowledge that Pandora doesn't check the location of your credit card should you wish to sign up to the plus version. I suspect they do that for a reason.

dzp111  (op)
Senior User
Jul 19, 2010, 04:09 PM

Thanks Phileas, last fm works well. Wish it could play in the background while using another app, but I won't complain.

Thanks again.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jul 19, 2010, 09:22 PM

SUCCESS!!! I'm now American! (iTunes only)

Is this considered illegal? Hope not.

Thanks all!
Be aware that this is a violation of Apple's latest EULA.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 27, 2010, 07:44 AM

Maybe the VPN feature can be used to pretend you are in a U.S. LAN.

Forum Links
Forum Rules