Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Macbook Help! (first mac)

Macbook Help! (first mac)
maccrack
Dec 31, 2006, 05:09 PM

Hey all, I just purchased my macbook and I now want to change some stuff around. I know enough about mac's to surf the web lol but really nothing else. I want edit the icons on the the bottom and I want to find out the specifcations about my mac. Also, i would like you know any downloads you all recomend to keep the computer safe and other programs that will enhance my mac experience.

ty

k squared
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 31, 2006, 05:22 PM

One of the best ways of keeping your computer safe is to not use the Admin account for every day use. Create a Standard account. Also, turn on the firewall and turn off unnecessary services. You can do this through the Sharing tab of System Preferences.

To find out specs, go to the Apple menu and click on About this Mac -> More info... launches System Profiler, located in the Utilities folder.

I'm not sure if you can change the Dock icon, but if you want to try, try this: right click on the Dock icon you want to change and select Show in Finder. Then, if you are viewing as Columns, select More info... Otherwise select Get info by right clicking. Now, in the Get info window which appears, you can select the application icon and copy/paste a new icon over it. Or, at least that's how Mac OS 9 used to work.

Edit: if you are not using a mouse, then ctrl-clicking acts the same as right clicking...

frankthetank966
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 31, 2006, 05:48 PM

why wouldn't you sue the admin account? that is the dumbest thing i have ever heard.

anyways the firewall is located in sharing and you want to click "start" you want it to display "stop"

joel_v
Dec 31, 2006, 07:12 PM

Yea, i use the admin account every day, with no firewall on, and no problems. Maybe your forgetting we're using macs.

anyway, heres a list of some freeware apps that i recommend:

Adium - Instant messenger app. supports: AIM, MSN, ICQ and more..
VLC - Full screen media player. supports pretty much any video file.
Limewire - Peer to Peer file sharing app. legal downloading only of course.
Handbrake - Convert DVD's to .mpg or .avi

MacUpdate is a great place to find cool apps, and get the latest ones. I recommend bookmarking it.

WiiWantCricket: Website | Teaser Trailer

maccrack  (op)
Dec 31, 2006, 07:40 PM

k thanks guys after messing around for a bit im learning i mean im not a old woman lol i am 15 just need to get used to it.. ty

frankthetank966
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 31, 2006, 08:14 PM

I suggest not using limewire. It is very risky even on a mac. Secondly what is the advantage of using VLC over Quicktime with Flip4Mac

hldan
Mac Elite
Jan 1, 2007, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by frankthetank966 View Post
I suggest not using limewire. It is very risky even on a mac. Secondly what is the advantage of using VLC over Quicktime with Flip4Mac
I agree about Limewire but Acquisition is a great P2P app. VLC can play nearly any codec if the codec is 'playable". VLC is used on the both the Windows side and the Mac because Windows Media Player, Flip4Mac and Quicktime all have certain restrictions that prevent them from playing certain codecs which is what makes VLC so useful. Some media I have downloaded either won't play audio or has video issues when played with anything else but VLC.
VLC has so many more features the others don't have like screen snapshots and pitch adjustments and this app is totally free.
The only issue with VLC is that it cannot play within the web browser.

frankthetank966
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 1, 2007, 04:06 PM

Do you even suggest using Flip4Mac?

maccrack  (op)
Jan 1, 2007, 04:56 PM

yeah im defiantly not downloading limewire.

what is flip4mac

pyrite
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 1, 2007, 06:32 PM

flip4mac is a program/codec that lets you play windows media files (WMA/WMV) in quicktime instead of windows media player - windows media player sucks baddd on mac!!
Hear and download my debut EP 'Ice Pictures' for free here

Forum Links
Forum Rules