Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > is The Village really that bad?

is The Village really that bad?
doucheflogger
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 30, 2004, 05:57 PM

ebert gave it *, imdb has it at 6/10 stars (last i checked. it will probably go down significantly in the next few days). is it really that bad? I don't want to see it after reading some of the reviews.

edit\\///\\\///DBGFHRGL \\\
( Last edited by doucheflogger; Jul 30, 2004 at 06:19 PM. )

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jul 30, 2004, 05:58 PM

It's a love or hate type of movie. Some will love it, some will hate it.

Let us know what you think after you see it...

doucheflogger  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 30, 2004, 06:05 PM

Originally posted by gorickey:

Let us know what you think after you see it...
not happening. I'm saving my 8 bucks for something better, like a swiffer

~Alan McDouche-Flogger

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jul 30, 2004, 06:09 PM

Originally posted by doucheflogger:
...for something better, like a swiffer
Ebert gave the Swiffer...

You have been warned.

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2004, 06:14 PM

According to rottentomatoes.com its gotten very good reviews but after watching the trailer, I asked myself, "Haven't we seen this before?"
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

sanity assassin
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2004, 06:15 PM

Well, FOX are going schizo over it, likening it to Michael Moore's film, another film out to attack Bush. They would say that, given that they are a paranoid right-wingers circle-jerk's wetdream.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,127106,00.html

Anyhoo, I'm looking forward to it, with the knowledge that his films aren't plot driven, but are strong in characterisations.

I heard you really need to see it twice too.

JohnnyAppleseed
Forum Regular
Jul 30, 2004, 06:28 PM

Paranoid shrubbies. Sheeeeesh!

I heard it has good plot twists and stuff. Wuzzhisname (director) says he wanted it to appeal to everyone and not just to 14 year old boys so it's not your typical 'horror' movie.

First post

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2004, 06:47 PM

CNN: Four stars out of Four - "Shyamalan's best film yet"

And please don't listen to that Ebert ********. He usually like to give some great movies bad review to create some controversial

mishap
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2004, 07:05 PM

Originally posted by doucheflogger:
not happening. I'm saving my 8 bucks for something better, like a swiffer

~Alan McDouche-Flogger

the swiffer rocks!

*goes to use swiffer now*

mishap
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2004, 07:08 PM

Originally posted by Adam Betts:

And please don't listen to that Ebert ********. He usually like to give some great movies bad review to create some controversial
controversy? yeah, that fat piece of shxt is always trying to create it.

CobraMantis
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 30, 2004, 09:25 PM

Without giving too much away, I liked it. A lot.
</spoiler>

Guess it's a love/hate movie � when we were walking out afterwards, I heard several people say, "That was the dumbest movie ever," and several people say, "That was even better than Sixth Sense."

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2004, 10:07 PM

the village...i'll check it on dvd...cause it has the guy from gladiator in it

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

demograph68
Professional Poster
Jul 30, 2004, 11:02 PM

Originally posted by nredman:
Adrian Brody is in it too.

sideus
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2004, 11:05 PM

Originally posted by sanity assassin:
Well, FOX are going schizo over it, likening it to Michael Moore's film, another film out to attack Bush. They would say that, given that they are a paranoid right-wingers circle-jerk's wetdream.

Anyhoo, I'm looking forward to it, with the knowledge that his films aren't plot driven, but are strong in characterisations.

Umm, right.

demograph68
Professional Poster
Jul 30, 2004, 11:19 PM

Originally posted by sanity assassin:

The review seems to support it actually.
By all means, see "The Village." Take your older children. Decide which horror Shyamalan is addressing with his story. It's scary, but this is no new installment of the "Scream" series, that's for sure!

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2004, 11:41 PM

Originally posted by Adam Betts:
CNN: Four stars out of Four - "Shyamalan's best film yet"

Ebert is a huge fat Mac lovin' and Mac expousin' ********, so go easy on him. If if he is a stomach stapled glob of steamy ******* ******* that dogs good movies so he can stir up controversy...
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

SOLIDAge
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2004, 11:51 PM

i think it kinda blew. I especially felt it was acted really poorly.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jul 30, 2004, 11:52 PM

Originally posted by MacGorilla:
... after watching the trailer, I asked myself, "Haven't we seen this before?"
One must consider that movie reviewers have seen so many movies that they've probably seen everything before.

JohnnyAppleseed
Forum Regular
Jul 30, 2004, 11:53 PM

Originally posted by Rev-O:
Ebert is a huge fat Mac lovin' and Mac expousin' ********, so go easy on him. If if he is a stomach stapled glob of steamy ******* ******* that dogs good movies so he can stir up controversy...
Have you seen him lately? He's lost about 500 lbs. He's a skeleton. I hadn't seen him for a year. I thought he was dying of cancer or aids.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jul 31, 2004, 12:12 AM

is The Village really that bad?
Yes.

Well, it's not THAT bad, but it's certainly not good. The story is extremely predictable, the pacing is as slow as The Fast Runner (which is a more interesting movie overall), and Sigourney Weaver's acting is on par with an average high school play's. Bryce Dallas Howard gives a very good performance though.

Personally, I'm counting on Harold & Kumar to salvage my movie weekend.

According to rottentomatoes.com its gotten very good reviews but after watching the trailer, I asked myself, "Haven't we seen this before?"
Huh? It currently has 45%.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 31, 2004, 12:46 AM

I saw it with Eug and I hated it also.

The main problem with it is this:

IT IS NOT SCARY IN THE SLIGHTEST. The solve the monster thing half way through, and the ending is very predictable within the first 40 min. Not only is the ending predictable it is a real "so what".

The previews make it look like s suspence horror movie. It is nothing even close, really don't know why it wasn't PG.

It won't be any scary or worth your money rented.

M. night has gotten uncool.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 31, 2004, 02:11 AM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
M. night has gotten uncool.
It doesn't sound too good. Hollywood BS have certainly gotten to him especially in The Signs.

I guess I'll take my comment about Ebert back.. at least for this movie... and temporarily until I see this movie myself

coolmacdude
Senior User
Jul 31, 2004, 02:16 AM

Originally posted by nredman:
For some reason, he seems to be in all of m. night's movies.
2.16 Ghz Core 2 Macbook, 3GB Ram, 120 GB

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Jul 31, 2004, 02:24 AM

I saw it with Eug and I hated it also.
Date? You go, girlfriend.

BTW, this thread needs more cabbage.

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Jul 31, 2004, 03:42 AM

Is it just me, or is Midnight Slamham just a wee bit overrated? 6th Sense was a Jacob's Ladder rip which was a horrible rip of An Occurence at Owl Creek Bridge (a short story, and really better than 6th senseless and jacob's Ladder). Unbreakable: nifty story idea translated into an excruciatingly protracted (watch first 10 minutes and last 10 minutes and save and hour of your life) movie. Signs? Jeez, I'd smash my fingers with a hammer before I'd watch signs again. The Village? Maybe I'll rent it on dvd... maybe.

Seems that since Muskrat Slumhollerin can devise a 'twist ending', he is considered an 'original talent' in hollywood. Sorry, but there is a dearth of talent and originality coming out of hollywood, and Midwife Shoemailing is just another derivative hack.

Or is it just me?
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 31, 2004, 09:45 AM

Originally posted by Eug Wanker:
Yes.

Well, it's not THAT bad, but it's certainly not good. The story is extremely predictable, the pacing is as slow as The Fast Runner (which is a more interesting movie overall), and Sigourney Weaver's acting is on par with an average high school play's. Bryce Dallas Howard gives a very good performance though.

Personally, I'm counting on Harold & Kumar to salvage my movie weekend.

Huh? It currently has 45%.
A week ago it had 80%...my my how the reviews rolled in.
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 31, 2004, 09:48 AM

Originally posted by Rev-O:
Is it just me, or is Midnight Slamham just a wee bit overrated? 6th Sense was a Jacob's Ladder rip which was a horrible rip of An Occurence at Owl Creek Bridge (a short story, and really better than 6th senseless and jacob's Ladder). Unbreakable: nifty story idea translated into an excruciatingly protracted (watch first 10 minutes and last 10 minutes and save and hour of your life) movie. Signs? Jeez, I'd smash my fingers with a hammer before I'd watch signs again. The Village? Maybe I'll rent it on dvd... maybe.

Seems that since Muskrat Slumhollerin can devise a 'twist ending', he is considered an 'original talent' in hollywood. Sorry, but there is a dearth of talent and originality coming out of hollywood, and Midwife Shoemailing is just another derivative hack.

Or is it just me?
I liked the Sixth Sense; not a great flick but worth the price of admission.
Unbreakable....was bad. It could have been so good instead it just meandered. First ten minutes and last ten minutes are really all you need.
Signs: My favorite of the three. I liked how he built suspense without anything going on. One thing I didn't understand: why would aliens, who are averse to water, invade earth? The planet and its population are mostly water. Invade Mars instead.
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Jul 31, 2004, 09:59 AM

Originally posted by MindFad:
Date? You go, girlfriend.
Heh. Nah, I wouldn't dream of muscling in on your territory...

BTW, this thread needs more cabbage.

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Jul 31, 2004, 12:06 PM

One thing I didn't understand: why would aliens, who are averse to water, invade earth? The planet and its population are mostly water. Invade Mars instead.
Hey, we can't breath on the moon or in space and we keep wanting out there. Humans go to lots of places that would kill us. Mind you, we don't do it naked.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jul 31, 2004, 12:43 PM

I guess I (and the friend I went to see it with) were the only people that liked it.

We didn't find it to be at all predictable, and it certainly was not what we were expecting!

I'd recommend it.

tooki

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Jul 31, 2004, 01:00 PM

Originally posted by tooki:
I guess I (and the friend I went to see it with) were the only people that liked it.
Hmm... Well, like I said I didn't think it was THAT bad. There were some interesting ideas (although I didn't think they were all that well presented) and I really liked Bryce Dallas Howard's performance. She's cute too. ...despite being the spawn of Ron Howard.

We didn't find it to be at all predictable, and it certainly was not what we were expecting!
I'm a bit surprised there. While I can't say I predicted the exact ending, I fully expected something very close to what it was. (I won't say how close because it would give away the movie.)

Plus the lack of scariness of the scary parts was disappointing. It felt like Blair Witch, but without the anticipation.

I also laughed out loud at some of the scenes, and so did others in the audience.
( Last edited by Eug Wanker; Jul 31, 2004 at 01:33 PM. )

Professional Poster
Jul 31, 2004, 01:40 PM

Plus the lack of scariness of the scary parts was disappointing. It felt like Blair Witch, but without the anticipation.

Ya no ****, considering they sold it as a suspense horror/thriller movie and the scariest thing that happened is some chick falling in the woods all by herself I'd call that a disappointment also.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Jul 31, 2004, 01:54 PM

Below is the entire movie summary I found on the internet, for those NOT going to see the movie, or for those who have already seen the movie. (Select area to see text.) If the mods think it's inappropriate, I will delete it.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Jul 31, 2004, 01:55 PM

SPOILERS!!!

<--- Starts here --->

The movie starts at a funeral for a little boy, and his dad crying over the coffin-- the headstone behind the dad has the boy's name, and his dates of birth and death (can't remember the dates exactly, but it's essentially 1890-1897). The other townspeople are there, and they are dressed in typical clothing from that period (bonnets, shawls, long dresses, etc).

From there we go to the townspeople eating outdoors at long picnic tables. They spell out the rules of their village: no red, because it attracts the creatures they think are living in their woods, and the people stay in their village, because if they don't trespass into the woods, the creatures won't come into the village.

Kitty (Judy Greer) tells her father that she's in love with Lucius (Joaquin Phoenix) and wants to marry him, and her father wants to know why Lucius is not the one speaking-- Kitty says it's because she hasn't told Lucius yet! Her father says she can get married if she wants, but not to talk to anyone else about this until she talks to Lucien. She goes to Lucien's work to tell him-- she looks elated, he looks miserable, and he obviously turns her down, because the next thing we see is her crying her head off in her bed, with her sister holding her.

We see Noah (Adrien Brody), mumbling and laughing inappropriately (obviously the village idiot), who a few minutes later is wrestling and playing outside with other kids, and hitting them with sticks. A blind girl about his age, Ivy (Bryce Dallas Howard), hears this going on, and gets up and tells him to quit, or he'll have to go into the "quiet room" (looks like a building for solitary confinement that locks from the outside) and he quits. She takes off running with Noah, and they see Lucius sitting by a rock, eating. While Noah runs off like a little kid, Ivy essentially tells Lucius that she knows that the reason that he turned her sister down is because he loves her (Ivy) instead.

Noah brings Ivy first a little frog, then a sprig of red berries (red is a forbidden color, that attracts the creatures that the townspeople think are living in their woods). No red things are in the village, and in looking around, Lucius realizes that Noah has been going into the woods. Noah has been thinking of going into the woods, too, since the little boy died-- he wants to go to the nearest town to get medicine, so that other sick people in the village won't be so likely to die from minor illnesses, and he feels the creatures in the woods will let him pass because he has a good reason to go. Kitty, meanwhile, finds someone else to marry, and Ivy tells Lucien that since her older sister is spoken for, she is now free to marry.

The town alarm bell rings, and they all have to go to the cellar to hide from the creatures.A big, red, spiky creature can be half-seen walking through the town, looking in the windows and trying the doors They begin to find dead, skinned animals around the village, and first think they are the work of coyotes, but after Lucius attempts to step a few feet into the woods, there are more and more dead animals around, as well as blood on the doors of all the houses. Lucius thinks the creatures are coming because of him.

He sits out on Ivy's porch at night-- she goes out to talk to him, and he tells her he sits on her porch because he fears for her safety. She asks him if he will dance with her once they are married, and he makes a big speech about how he wants to be the one to ask her, but tells her yes, they will dance at their wedding. They announce their engagement, and Ivy's sister Kitty is OK with it.

Noah goes to Lucius's work, crying, and as Lucius starts to talk to him about being engaged to Ivy, out of the sight of the viewer, Noah stabs him in the stomach. Lucius falls, and in the shadows and reflection from the wood stove we can see that Noah stabs him some more.

Noah returns to his own house covered in blood, and won't tell where it came from. His parents are alarmed-- everyone goes from house to house looking for a wounded person, and Ivy finds Lucius, but he is still alive. Noah is locked in the solitary confinement building, and Ivy goes there and slaps the hell out of him before she is taken away.

She asks her father for permission to go into the woods to get medicine for Lucius from the nearest town (the doctor says that Lucius's wounds are infected-- he could live if the infection is killed) and dad agrees. But first, he takes her to a shed that the townspeople are forbidden to use, and tells her not to scream.

We cut to the house, and Ivy is there packing her stuff. Her dad gives her supplies and two escorts to take her into the woods, as well as directions to get to the nearest town. Ivy and the escorts take off-- one escort chickens out and goes home almost immediately. The second one lasts longer, but also abandons her after a big rainstorm. (After he leaves, she thinks about what her dad told her while they were in the shed, which turns out to be that inside the shed is a huge costume of the red creatures-- the creatures are not real. The costumes, monster drills, and stories about them are just used to keep order in the town and preserve the town and their way of life as it is.)

Ivy continues on through the woods, and nearly falls into a sinkhole, seems to be lost for a bit, and soon is being persued by one of the big red spiky creatures-- she tricks it into falling into the sinkhole that she nearly fell into, and it dies-- we cut back to the town, and find that Noah has found another creature costume under the floorboards of the solitary confinement house, and escaped into the woods with it-- and we see his face as he dies in the woods in the costume. We can see that Lucius is sick but still alive at home.

Ivy makes good time from here on out, through the woods and down a "hidden road" that her father has told her about-- she comes to the end of it and climbs a fence... and lands on a road in a nature preserve in modern times, just in time for a forest ranger to see her. (Ivy's grandfather was a billionaire, and we can see from the logos everywhere that their village is sitting on a nature preserve that belonged to her family.)

She tells the forest ranger what she is there for, and he is incredulous, but he is kind to her and he helps her-- he goes to the guard shack and takes the medical supplies she wants, and brings the stuff and a ladder back to her.

Meanwhile, back in the village, we see her father open a trunk he's kept in the house-- full of modern (well, 1970's or 80's-looking) photos of himself and the other townspeople in their lives before they came to the village. Many of them had family members die because of problems of modern society, and we hear them tell their stories as he flips through the photos (brother worked in an emergency room killed by a drug dealer, sister raped and killed outside apartment, father killed by business partner, etc). The townspeople discuss how they thought they would escape sorrow by coming to this new place, but sorrow will find you wherever you are-- everyone has to die.

Ivy climbs the fence and makes it back to the village with her medicine and medical supplies, and news travels fast through the village that she fought one of the creatures in the woods and killed it.

Noah's parent's cry, realizing that he is dead, but Ivy's dad says that they will find Noah and give him a proper burial, because with the story of Ivy killing the creature, Noah has allowed their way of life to survive.

Ivy comes to the door of Lucien's house, goes in and takes his hand, and says "I have returned".

<--- Ends here --->

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Jul 31, 2004, 02:27 PM

[B]Heh. Nah, I wouldn't dream of muscling in on your territory...
Hey, Zim would have a problem with it, too.

Hmm. Now I'm torn about the movie. I'll probably end up seeing it, though. Mostly because SWG seems to hate or dislike most things that I find enjoyable.

Professional Poster
Jul 31, 2004, 02:39 PM

Originally posted by MindFad:
Hey, Zim would have a problem with it, too.

Hmm. Now I'm torn about the movie. I'll probably end up seeing it, though. Mostly because SWG seems to hate or dislike most things that I find enjoyable.
You hate Metroid?

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Jul 31, 2004, 02:41 PM

Most things, not all. I love me some Metroid.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 31, 2004, 02:45 PM

Not to spoil anything but the "Monsters" are actually just Cash and Zimph.

They each have their own unique form of terrorizing.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

madmacgames
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 31, 2004, 02:49 PM

The main problem with it is this:

IT IS NOT SCARY IN THE SLIGHTEST.
Who the hell said it was supposed to be scary? since when have any of M. Night's movies been of the horror genre? don't be a dumbass

Eug Wanker:
I also laughed out loud at some of the scenes, and so did others in the audience.
I'm not sure if you are using that against the movie, or what, but there were a number of scenes that were supposed to be funny I think. comic-relief; scriptwriting 101.

While I can't say I predicted the exact ending, I fully expected something very close to what it was.
Did you watch or read something about the film before seeing it? If so then you can't say it was predictable. I had a friend who read some stuff online about it and he said he predicted close to the what the ending was from what he read. But I went in blind (how you should see a movie anyways; unbiased) and didn't see the end coming until the one scene where they looked at the one picture. I don't think you could have guessed the ending at the beginning without prior knowledge of something about the film.

I didn't think it was his best work, but it certainly was not bad or terrible. I thought it was pretty good.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Jul 31, 2004, 03:05 PM

Originally posted by madmacgames:
I'm not sure if you are using that against the movie, or what, but there were a number of scenes that were supposed to be funny I think. comic-relief; scriptwriting 101.
Well, I laughed at one of the "monster" scenes, and like I said, so did much of the audience. And no, it wasn't supposed to be funny.

Did you watch or read something about the film before seeing it? If so then you can't say it was predictable. I had a friend who read some stuff online about it and he said he predicted close to the what the ending was from what he read. But I went in blind (how you should see a movie anyways; unbiased) and didn't see the end coming until the one scene where they looked at the one picture. I don't think you could have guessed the ending at the beginning without prior knowledge of something about the film.
Yeah, I did, but the reviews I read just said it was another classic twist from this guy, but that the "twist" was predictable this time, unlike some of his other movies.

Not everyone is gonna click with the prediction, but I felt he banged us over the head with what's supposed to come.

Professional Poster
Jul 31, 2004, 03:09 PM

Originally posted by madmacgames:
Who the hell said it was supposed to be scary? since when have any of M. Night's movies been of the horror genre? don't be a dumbass

I didn't think it was his best work, but it certainly was not bad or terrible. I thought it was pretty good.
Who said it was supposed to be scary? How about ever last bit of marketing that they relieced for it? I wasn't expecting blood and guts but I was expecting suspence, not little house on the prairie with a slight misfortune. duh

Minor Spoiler:
I didn't read jack about the movie before hand and within 45 minutes I figured out the monsters and shortly after the "Catch ending" mostly because the way everyone badmouths the other towns and how the monsters keep them nice and safe in the village with no way to leave. Very convent.

They had the same story in at LEAST 3 different Star Trek episodes 10 years ago.

Spliff
Mac Elite
Jul 31, 2004, 04:13 PM

Hmm... Well, like I said I didn't think it was THAT bad. There were some interesting ideas (although I didn't think they were all that well presented) and I really liked Bryce Dallas Howard's performance. She's cute too. ...despite being the spawn of Ron Howard.

She's not bad, but remember she has her father's genes in her. She'll be totally bald in five years. I wonder if she'll inherit all her daddy's ball caps.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Jul 31, 2004, 04:18 PM

Originally posted by Spliff:
She's not bad, but remember she has her father's genes in her. She'll be totally bald in five years. I wonder if she'll inherit all her daddy's ball caps.
Heheh. At least she doesn't have the ears.

Anyways, a primer on the sex-limited trait, male pattern baldness:

Sex-limited inheritance: A trait that appears in only one sex is called sex-limited. This is different from X-linked inheritance, which refers to traits carried on the X chromosome. Sex hormones and other physiologic differences between males and females may alter the expressivity of a gene. For example, premature baldness is an autosomal dominant trait, but presumably as a result of female sex hormones, the condition is rarely expressed in the female, and then usually only after menopause. Thus, sex-limited inheritance, perhaps more correctly called sex-influenced inheritance, is a special case of limited expressivity and penetrance.

wolfen
Mac Elite
Jul 31, 2004, 04:40 PM

Heheh. At least she doesn't have the ears.

Anyways, a primer on the sex-limited trait, male pattern baldness:
She's a carrier for baldness. I'm sure she's a very nice girl, but she shouldn't have children.
Do you want forgiveness or respect?

Professional Poster
Aug 1, 2004, 02:49 AM

"Eventually the secret of 'Those We Dont Speak Of' is revealed. To call it an anticlimax would be an insult not only to climaxes but to prefixes. It's a crummy secret, about one step up the ladder of narrative originality from It Was All a Dream. It's so witless, in fact, that when we do discover the secret, we want to rewind the film so we don't know the secret anymore.
And then keep on rewinding, and rewinding, until we're back at the beginning, and can get up from our seats and walk backward out of the theater and go down the up escalator and watch the money spring from the cash register into our pockets."

http://www.suntimes.com/output/ebert...illage30f.html

CreepingDeth
Professional Poster
Aug 1, 2004, 03:05 AM

Didn't Ebert give The Manchurian Candidate two thumbs up? I could be wrong.
If anyone of you even think of using 8 dollars to watch that drek remake, use the money to buy a six pack of Jolt and play UT04. The original was good, but they decided to let the "black helicopter" crowd write this one. Boring conspiracy, implants, etc. Go watch Hitchcock instead.
Oh yeah, Signs was awful, and The Sixth Sense is overrated. This doesn;t look good wither

Dex13
Mac Elite
Aug 1, 2004, 04:53 AM

way too ****ing slow , half the people had walked out by the time the movie was over, and I guess adrians role was the result of playing the piano too much.

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 1, 2004, 12:39 PM

I read the spoiler earlier in the thread and I must say if I sat throuhg the movie to learn that 'secret" I would have been mighty ticked.
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

andi*pandi
Aug 1, 2004, 09:45 PM

I was thinking of seeing this, but now maybe I'll save my money for something else.

I've liked some of M.Night's work, Sixth Sense, but Unbreakable was Unwakeable, and the Signs were all pointing to Unbearable Street. (I fell asleep during one, and wished I had during the other. Signs was so fricking stupid!!!)

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Aug 1, 2004, 10:50 PM

Not bad, but clearly not as good as the Sixth Sense

Forum Links
Forum Rules