Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Finally I am Free!!

Finally I am Free!!
Mitser
Forum Regular
Aug 18, 2004, 02:04 AM

( Last edited by Mitser; Sep 26, 2004 at 11:27 PM. )

Macfreak7
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2004, 02:06 AM

Now perhaps you should go back to school (junior high or something) and work on that grammar, yes?

soul searching
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2004, 02:10 AM

Pressure can be such a b!@tch sometimes. Congrats for "taking the plunge" though. Good luck with it all.
Originally posted by Macfreak7:
Now perhaps you should go back to school (junior high or something) and work on that grammar, yes?
And spelling

"I think of lotteries as a tax on the mathematically challenged." -- Roger Jones

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 18, 2004, 02:16 AM

i am also taking a year off from the grind of college. should be a welcome change. i really cant wait. good luck to you.

Jaey
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2004, 02:18 AM

You quit university? No offense but that could possibly be the stupidest thing you'll ever do. If you don't like what you're studying, CHANGE YOUR MAJOR! Sure, you have to spend extra time, but still...

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 18, 2004, 02:26 AM

Originally posted by Jaey:
You quit university? No offense but that could possibly be the stupidest thing you'll ever do. If you don't like what you're studying, CHANGE YOUR MAJOR! Sure, you have to spend extra time, but still...
stupid? hardly. taking time off is one of the best ways to get back in touch with what it is that has you in school in the first place. in fact, i i'd recommend it.

anthonyvthc
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 18, 2004, 02:27 AM

Opposite post:
I start grad school in a week and I will be teaching at a university.
Go me!

Jaey
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2004, 02:28 AM

Originally posted by anthonyvthc:
Opposite post:
I start grad school in a week and I will be teaching at a university.
Go me!
Where you goin'?

anthonyvthc
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 18, 2004, 02:31 AM

Originally posted by Jaey:
Where you goin'?
University of Nevada at Las Vegas (AKA UNLV)

Link
Professional Poster
Aug 18, 2004, 02:38 AM

Spiffy I'll probably be going there next year when I finish my school up
Aloha

Axo1ot1
Professional Poster
Aug 18, 2004, 02:48 AM

I guess they didn't teach spelling in your university?

Mitser  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 18, 2004, 03:00 AM

( Last edited by Mitser; Sep 26, 2004 at 11:28 PM. )

Mitser  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 18, 2004, 03:03 AM

( Last edited by Mitser; Sep 26, 2004 at 11:28 PM. )

lngtones
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 18, 2004, 03:21 AM

Originally posted by Mitser:
So my online spelling and grammar are horrible. I don't need to impress anyone in this forum.
Really, spelling and grammar aren't that impressive. They're usually considered prerequisites to communication.

I'm almost free, one year until I get my degree and I'll never have to take a General Education course again for the rest of my life.

d.fine
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2004, 06:14 AM

What you call free ? Once you get out its work, work, work ... and some more work

stuffing feathers up your b*tt doesn't make you a chicken.

cheerios
Professional Poster
Aug 18, 2004, 06:54 AM

only if you find a job.
The short shall inherit the earth. Just you wait. You won't see us coming. We'll pop out from under tables, beds, and closets in hordes. So you're tall, huh? You won't be so tall when I chew off your ankles. Mofo

d.fine
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2004, 07:14 AM

Originally posted by cheerios:
only if you find a job.
which I hope you do

stuffing feathers up your b*tt doesn't make you a chicken.

dodo_nutter
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 18, 2004, 07:49 AM

Get my A-Level (last stage before uni in UK) results tomorrow at 10:30 and im sh*tting myself. No idea wot im gonna do if i dont get into my uni course i want cos i REALLY dont wana retake my exams again and waste another year. Plus i just split up with my girlfriend so i wana get away from it all and meet new people.

That would be my vent over
Soon we'll be out, amid the cold worlds strife,
Soon we'll be sliding down the razor blade of life

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Aug 18, 2004, 07:50 AM

How are you getting a PowerMac? If your parents are buying it for you, they are doing you a disservice. I would say "fine, if you don't want to go to the University, they you buy your own computer and find a place to stay along with a job."

A few months at some nightmare job should make you realize what they rest of your life may be like.

I would say... take a semester or a year off and go back. You have no idea of the ramifications it will have on your life. I'm not sure about the rest of the world, but a college degree here is the new high school diploma. Without it, you cut your job options by 1/3 if not more.

When I was temping at Best Buy in the evenings, they even wanted College grads to fill specific jobs!

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Aug 18, 2004, 08:22 AM

What were you studying that you hated? How long were you there?

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Aug 18, 2004, 08:35 AM

Originally posted by dodo_nutter:
Get my A-Level (last stage before uni in UK) results tomorrow at 10:30 and im sh*tting myself. No idea wot im gonna do if i dont get into my uni course i want cos i REALLY dont wana retake my exams again and waste another year. Plus i just split up with my girlfriend so i wana get away from it all and meet new people.

That would be my vent over
UK A-Levels are hard, same sort of question difficulty as a bachelor degree in US/Canada.
Good Luck!

bygimis
Aug 18, 2004, 09:16 AM

Hey don't worry to much about the A-Levels - you can always go into clearing. The main thing is to do a degree course you actually enjoy doing - anything you loose on your A-Levels you can make back by getting a first on your degree :-)
Nobody made a greater mistake than
he who did nothing because he could only
do a little. Edmund Burke

fromthecloud
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 18, 2004, 09:20 AM

I just finished my "take a year off" thing and am starting the fall term on the 25th. I'll take college life over the working world any day; I can't wait to get back.
chown -R us:us yourbase

Dissent is not un-American.

dodo_nutter
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 18, 2004, 10:10 AM

cheers all...i mite post how i did depending on my results!!!

Richard Edgar
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 18, 2004, 12:04 PM

UK A-Levels are hard
For certain definitions of 'hard' perhaps.

mac-kerouac
Forum Regular
Aug 18, 2004, 12:16 PM

I must be a glutton for punishment. I teach all day at a high school (physics) and in two weeks I begin work on my Ph.D in education policy.

Education and academics are good if that�s your thing, however they are not necessarily the key to happiness or success. Use your time away from school wisely. Think about starting a business providing a service that people don�t want to do anyway, like change their oil, while their car sits in the lot at work.

Or you could just sit around and play video games and eat taco bell, that would be cool too.

Just some thoughts.
iBook G4 12"/640/60/Combo/AE

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 18, 2004, 12:33 PM

I really hope that you will find an area that you like to study Matthew. A Junior College is probably the best place to accomplish that task. As long as you work for someone else or are in debt, you are never free.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 18, 2004, 01:49 PM

Originally posted by d4nth3m4n:
stupid? hardly. taking time off is one of the best ways to get back in touch with what it is that has you in school in the first place. in fact, i i'd recommend it.

it's also a great way to get back in touch with your bong.

in fact, i'd recommend it too.
ice

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 18, 2004, 01:55 PM

tw*t off.

anthonyvthc
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 18, 2004, 02:12 PM

Originally posted by Link:
Spiffy I'll probably be going there next year when I finish my school up
Give me a holler if you ever come out to check out the school or something. I'd be happy to give you a tour (that will probably be more beneficial than one of the school administered ones).

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 18, 2004, 02:15 PM

Originally posted by d4nth3m4n:
tw*t off.
huh? are you upset?
ice

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 18, 2004, 02:21 PM

Hopefully now I can figure out what I want to do without the pressures and hatered of doing what I dislike. Matt
Might I suggest Chick-Fil-A? They have business and career opportunities. Counter help is always needed!

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 19, 2004, 02:14 AM

Originally posted by moonmonkey:
UK A-Levels are hard, same sort of question difficulty as a bachelor degree in US/Canada.
Good Luck!
This must be some definition of the word "hard" that I was previously unaware of.

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Aug 19, 2004, 02:57 AM

Hopefully now I can figure out what I want to do without the pressures and hatered of doing what I dislike.
Just sit in a dark room and listen to the voices.

The voices are friendly and helpful.

The voices know what is best.

My voices like fire...
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

dodo_nutter
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 19, 2004, 03:48 AM

wwwwoooorrrrrrrrrrrrrryyyyyyiiiiinnngggg...

Well im off to college in a minute to get my results, Maths, Physics, Chemistry and i need AAB or ABB to get into one of the 2 courses southampton uni offered. ahh well, here goes nothing......

MOTHERWELL
Senior User
Aug 19, 2004, 03:50 AM

Originally posted by Macfreak7:
LOL

MOTHERWELL
Senior User
Aug 19, 2004, 03:54 AM

So I finally took the plung and quite university, I was probably going probably be dismissed anyway for doing none of my work. The parent are a lttle bummed but I hated what I was studying. Hopefully now I can figure out what I want to do without the pressures and hatered of doing what I dislike. Besides, school is not going anywhere and I still plan on taking classes but at a junior college, until i hopefully find something I like. Most likely I woud like to go into Chemistry but I need to figure stuff out first. Sorry for the unusual post, I just felt like spitting that out.

On the plus side, I am getting a new Powermac next week!

Thanks for the vent,
Matt
I think most of us agree that college is probably some of the most fun you will have in your life. I feel bad for the people who are so anxious to finish school and start working. People have delusions of grandeur when they are thinking about the future. They should be living in the moment and realize that this is the last time when they will have too much free time. The parties, the orgies of young people going wild with freedom -- I have to stop thinking about it becuase it's depressing to think that it will never be like that again.

lngtones
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 19, 2004, 06:45 AM

Originally posted by MOTHERWELL:
I think most of us agree that college is probably some of the most fun you will have in your life. I feel bad for the people who are so anxious to finish school and start working. People have delusions of grandeur when they are thinking about the future. They should be living in the moment and realize that this is the last time when they will have too much free time. The parties, the orgies of young people going wild with freedom -- I have to stop thinking about it becuase it's depressing to think that it will never be like that again.
That hasn't been my college experience at all. My college experience has been spending all my time doing work without the pretense of helping anyone. Yeah you do work at most jobs, but at least there was some kind of motive for you to do it in the first place. In school you work your butt off doing things that millions of other people have done. Combine that with going to a part time job where I get paid peanuts because I"m just a student. Not wanting to do anything else because I'm so exhausted from staying up doing papers.

The things you talked about happen in the summer yeah, but my friends who aren't in school do that basically everyday while me being in school have to hear the stories later.

I'm not looking for grandeur, I'm looking for time to do my own thing. Having a job where I make enough money to support myself and I can come home in the evening, not have to work unless I feel like it and do my own thing sounds like heaven.

Also, fun doesn't stop unless you let it by doing things like getting married young or having kids too soon. There is plenty of time after school to have fun and you are only going to have more because you'll actually have a little bit of money for once since you're able to work full time.

dodo_nutter
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 19, 2004, 12:13 PM

Wow u make it sound soooo fun!!

Well if any1 actually wants to no i got ABB so im off to do Aerospace Engineering at the University of Southampton.

Yeay

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 19, 2004, 12:28 PM

So I finally took the plung and quite university, I was probably going probably be dismissed anyway for doing none of my work. The parent are a lttle bummed but I hated what I was studying. Hopefully now I can figure out what I want to do without the pressures and hatered of doing what I dislike. Besides, school is not going anywhere and I still plan on taking classes but at a junior college, until i hopefully find something I like. Most likely I woud like to go into Chemistry but I need to figure stuff out first. Sorry for the unusual post, I just felt like spitting that out.

On the plus side, I am getting a new Powermac next week!

Thanks for the vent,
Matt
If you don't have the self discipline to do something, even if you may not like it after you made a committment to it, it's highly unlikely you'll find it later.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 19, 2004, 12:43 PM

Quitting university is A-class stupid. Take a year off, then go back. And get over not studying stuff you don't like; its part of the process. As is homework.
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

hayesk
Aug 19, 2004, 03:22 PM

Originally posted by MacGorilla:
Quitting university is A-class stupid. Take a year off, then go back. And get over not studying stuff you don't like; its part of the process. As is homework.
I agree. Suck it up and go back to school - taking a year off is fine, but use that year to really decide what you want to do. Don't blow it away playing with your new Mac.

Part of life is doing stuff you don't want to do. If you want the reward, then do something to deserve it.

Good luck.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Aug 19, 2004, 03:43 PM

So my online spelling and grammar are horrible. I don't need to impress anyone in this forum.
And you aren't.

Forget uni. Either join the army, live with the parental units until they kick you out at 35 or learn how to say, "would you like to supersize your combo?"

Oh, and when you get the PowerMac that your parents are likely buying for you in the false hopes that you do something constructive with it, check out that Safari has "check spelling" options built in.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Aug 19, 2004, 03:54 PM

So I finally took the plung and quite university...
Your biography is wrong.
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

NovaScotian
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 19, 2004, 07:27 PM

As an old guy who dorked around in university at 18 and 19, got thrown out, joined the RCAF for a few of years, flew airplanes, decided that wasn't going to cut it for long, went back to university, got a BSc, got married, then got a BEng, worked as a design engineer, finally figured out some study habits and work ethic, went back for a Master's and Doctorate and taught at university for 35 years (retired as Dean of Engineering), all that early lark ever accomplished was to delay virtually everything else in my life by several years, and all I really learned was that knowing something was better than not. Drop out if you must, if only to discover that life without marketable skills sucks even more than studying in a dorm room. There just isn't an easy path.

coolmacdude
Senior User
Aug 19, 2004, 07:31 PM

Originally posted by Randman:
live with the parental units until they kick you out at 35
If I had to live with my parents until I was 35, I think I would kill myself.
2.16 Ghz Core 2 Macbook, 3GB Ram, 120 GB

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Aug 19, 2004, 07:49 PM

Let us know how it is working at a fast food joint because that will be the only job you will be able to get without a college degree. This is a fact and it is indisputable. The job market now is horrible and no one will hire you without an advanced degree. Period.

Richard Edgar
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 20, 2004, 03:51 AM

Well if any1 actually wants to no i got ABB so im off to do Aerospace Engineering at the University of Southampton
I presume that one of the 'B' grades was in English?

dodo_nutter
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 20, 2004, 10:09 AM

A in physics and B's in chemistry and Maths...no english in sight. i can't spell or write (spelt that right at first ) to save my life. Any work (essays etc) i do i try and do on my Powerbook so there actually decipherable and you have no idea how much i love OS X's spell checker!!

I suppose i better learn french though if im doing aerospace

Richard Edgar
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 20, 2004, 10:53 AM

i can't spell or write to save my life
Might I suggest that learning would be a good idea? A little grammar wouldn't go amiss either. I've seen better writing from ESL people.

And how does one achieve a 'B' in A-level maths?

Forum Links
Forum Rules