Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Why does video performance drop to horrid levels when a window overlaps it?

Why does video performance drop to horrid levels when a window overlaps it?
ksloan2
Apr 29, 2006, 05:51 AM

I suspect it has to do with the drop shadows of the windows, but shouldn't OS X have optimizations to prevent this?

It is especially visible in browsers when you watch videos from different sites. If a windows overlaps the video with just a few pixels, the performance is totally killed, but then restored once you remove the window.

I'm on a Macbook Pro 1.83, btw.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 29, 2006, 06:09 AM

Video performance does not drop when windows overlap. Quartz Extreme does take care of that. You can verify this by dragging windows (transparent even) over a video playing in QuickTime Player.

What does happen is that Safari seems to update Flash less often in background windows (or maybe Flash does this voluntarily). I guess that is a performance optimization/compromise. So you see low framerates at Google video and Youtube in background windows. It doesn't matter whether the background video is overlapped or not.
( Last edited by TETENAL; Apr 29, 2006 at 07:43 AM. )

ksloan2  (op)
Apr 29, 2006, 07:28 AM

Aha, I see. Thank you for the clarification.

Forum Links
Forum Rules