Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Cleaning

Cleaning
kelso
Forum Regular
May 29, 2007, 01:41 PM

I have a black macbook and it was finger prints and smears on the surface. I tried a cloth with water but that doesnt get the fingerprints off. Whats the best method?

Andhee
Mac Enthusiast
May 29, 2007, 01:43 PM

lick it lol, only joking. How about a duster?

coolmacdude
Senior User
May 29, 2007, 02:50 PM

or a little bit of rubbing alcohol.
2.16 Ghz Core 2 Macbook, 3GB Ram, 120 GB

shinykaro
Forum Regular
May 29, 2007, 03:43 PM

Try one of those hand sanitizer gels and a cotton cloth. They evaporate quickly and you're unlikely to have a serious spill.

uicandrew
Senior User
May 29, 2007, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by kelso View Post
I have a black macbook and it was finger prints and smears on the surface. I tried a cloth with water but that doesnt get the fingerprints off. Whats the best method?
use the search feature the forum.

just by searching the terms "clean macbook" about 4 or 5 threads are on the first page of search results.

i actually already did the search for you. just click here

http://forums.macnn.com/search.php?searchid=1570749

i've posted advice to use a specific low-cost cleaner in about 3 or more different threads, and i've used it on a black macbook and other apple portables with great success
Mac User since Summer 2005 (started with G4 mini bought from macnn forums!)

kelso  (op)
Forum Regular
May 30, 2007, 10:17 PM

Thanks uicandrew for the information. Your search link doesn't work though. I tried the sanitzer gels and they did not work. Like uicandrew said, I going to search the forum for info. Thanks for the help!

Trin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 30, 2007, 11:16 PM

Have you tried iKlear? That's what I use on my iBook and I don't know if it would still work on the Macbook but nobody's suggested it yet and it works really well on my laptop. It's not terribly expensive either so it might be another thought.

Mr.Creosote
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 3, 2007, 11:08 PM

I've seen about a dozen answers to this question...

All I use is demineralized water (DI) and some Kimwipes tissues.

Granted, I have access to a Lab for the tissues and we make DI at our facility, but both of these things are available elsewhere.

Lightly "spritz" the outside of the MacBook and clean/dry it with however number of Kimwipes as is necessary. Kinwipes are simply anti-static, lint-free delicate task wipers. Lens cleaning tissues in other words. These are NOT microfiber cloths.

On the inside spay the tissues (as opposed to the computer) and use those to clean the spots/grunge. Use another set (two or three) to dry the excess water.

The way I treat my laptops would make some of you people cry. "Harsh Environment" would be an understatement.I don't drop them or anything, but my hands are continuously filthy and they're (the laptops) exposed to a great amout of dust. They get dirty fast.

I can't get the "Power Button" clean on the Macbook but the palmrests and trackpad look as good as new using my method. Same for the screen and case (not counting the scatches). I've had to rub the screen pretty good to get fingerprints off and have zero adverse effects doing this.

No need for commercial cleaners or specialty cloths.
4 "Wintels", a MacBook, an iMac (G3 baby!), and a couple of iPods.

Forum Links
Forum Rules