Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > OpenGL error in 10.2?

OpenGL error in 10.2?
Orbit
Dedicated MacNNer
May 12, 2002, 10:53 PM

hey all...

running 10.2, build 6C35, QE accelleration is there, but i don't think it's activating.

when i look in the console, windowserver keeps on throwing up GL compositor errors... (something about open gl error 500... i forgot to get the exact text.

is anyone else noticing this? my monitor is hooked up to the analog output from a twinview geforce2MX, so that may be the reason, but it'd be interested to know what other people find.

Update:

the error message reads:

May 12 20:11:51 12-231-116-148 WindowServer[187]: CGXGLAccelCompositeLayer : GL error 0500 entering

May 12 20:11:52 12-231-116-148 last message repeated 4 times

[ 05-12-2002: Message edited by: Orbit ]

Orbit  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 13, 2002, 02:01 AM

dunno if anyone cared in the first place, but i confirmed that compositing is indeed accelerated in this build.

i brought up a terminal window which is partially transparent, then scaled it to be almost as big as the window. basically wanted to get a UI element which would need to be composited.

so, using cpu monitor, i dragged this transparent window around on top of some other windows, and in my geforce2MX monitor, the cpu barely went above normal.

dragging the same thing around in the other monitor, though, brought the cpu up to almost full activity. i can only conclude from this that the compositing is being handled by quartz extreme on one of my monitors, and not on the other one.

interestingly, the transition is seamless...you can't tell what's being rendered by quartz extreme, and what's being rendered by the cpu. apple's done a phenomenal job with this, and it should speed up some tasks which are used a lot... still does nothing for window resizing, but that wasn't very slow for me anyway so i'm not too worried.

yoc
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 13, 2002, 03:55 AM

And why only one of your monitor is accelerated ? What kind of monitor do you have ?

Orbit  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 13, 2002, 05:47 AM

the type of display doesn't matter, but i have two graphics cards in my computer- one is pci and the other is agp.

quartz extreme works on the agp card, but not the pci.

Forum Links
Forum Rules