Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > G3 B&W won't shut down...HELP

G3 B&W won't shut down...HELP
sweet1
Dec 27, 2002, 02:54 AM

G3 B&W 350 mhz with original 6 GB HD with 1 GB memory with two Seagate Barracuda ATA 100 80 GB 7200 RPM drives.
Recently added last Seagate HD after successfully using first one installed with UltraTek/66 PCI Card. 2nd and 3rd drives set to master as instructed somewhere (sorry can't remember where). 1st Seagate drive was partitioned with X.1.5 and 9.2.2 on separate partitions which worked fine for several months. Added second drive and X.2 that is not partitioned and am using for photo and video files. I can no longer access Classic so I can't open my email on X.1.5. My computer will not shutdown unless I switch off the power strip after shut down completes, otherwise it reboots on its own.
When I first installed the second Seagate things were going fine, but I was having trouble editing in iMovie. I am ready to head to local mac store unless someone recognizes what the problem is. Can you help? Ask me more questions, I'm not sure this is enough data.

reader50
Administrator
Dec 27, 2002, 03:16 AM

Are both of the Master drives on the same buss (cable)?

sweet1  (op)
Dec 27, 2002, 05:27 PM

The cable y's from the Ultratek PCI card and is connected to each of the Seagate drives. I think this means that these two drives operate on the same bus. The original 6GB drive is on the original card. My knowledge is limited when it comes to computer terminology. I hope this helps a little...I'm just wondering if Classic on the first seagate is corrupted.

reader50
Administrator
Dec 27, 2002, 05:54 PM

If they are on the same cable, they are on the same buss. And two drives on the same buss must be Master/Slave, not Master/Master. It doesn't matter which one is Master.

sweet1  (op)
Dec 27, 2002, 06:02 PM

Can I change the drive to slave without reformatting it? Do you think this is why it reboots on its own and won't open Classic as well?

reader50
Administrator
Dec 27, 2002, 07:01 PM

If they are both Master, and both on the same cable, then switch one to Slave. Turn the computer off first of course. A reformat should not be needed unless the disk damage is severe.

There is likely some disk damage, so after rebooting with them set to Master/Slave, run a disk repair utility on both drives. If you do not have a good repair utility, use Disk First Aid (OS9) or the Disk First Aid section of Disk Utility (OSX). There is nothing wrong with DFA, it is good and fairly fast. But it cannot fix everything that DiskWarrior/TechToolPro3/Norton/Drive10 can fix.

If all damage is repaired, then you should be ok. If it can't fix something after several tries, then you need either a serious repair utility, or you need to copy your data off the drive in question and reformat/reinstall.

sweet1  (op)
Dec 28, 2002, 02:24 AM

Okay...this is what happened. I switched the jumper switch to master on the second seagate. Rebooted then shut down with no problem. Tried it again... shut down and drive rebooted on its own, once again!!!! Went back and reassessed everything I've changed recently. One thing was a USB Hub was added and keyboard connected to it. I remembered that I haven't been able to power up from the keyboard, only from the computer. Connected keyboard USB directly to USB on computer and no further problems from any of the drives after shutdown. They shutdown and stay shutdown.
Also found the documentation from UltraTek/66 PCI card. On page 5 it states: "IMPORTANT: The ATA drives have jumpers located between the ATA connector and the power connector. The jumpers must always be set to force the drives to be masters (drive 0). Drives usually ship set as masters."
I knew I had read this somewhere but I don't understand why this was necessary in the first place, though I do know that the card "allows you to connect standard 3.5-inch Ultra-ATA/66 drives to your Mac G3 or G4 PCI bus and makes tham appear to be SCSI drives". Could this be why they shouldn't be set master to slave? I was just following the original instructions when I installed them. Now I'm wondering if I should go back and reset them both to master, but I don't understand the logic behind it.

Still, cannot run Classic from Seagate drive with OS 10.1.5 to open Outlook Express or other Classic programs on another partition of this disk. It runs through the Classic startup window then just opens back to the OS 10.1.5 finder, then the finder quits unexpectedly and I have to restart. Do I need to re-install Classic (or 9.2) on the disk that Classic boots into? I had installed that from a 9.1 CD that I updated to 9.2. Can I use my daughter's restore CD for 9.2 instead or would there be any difference? I didn't really want to do a clean install as I'd like to not lose preferences on that disk, which has my iTunes library. This paragraph may be better suited to another forum...so I will repost to appropriate place. Just hope it makes sense.

reader50
Administrator
Dec 28, 2002, 02:46 AM

My advice was coming from the built-in ATA for the Mac. It's sounding more like your drives are connected to the PCI ATA card via a trick cable. In that case, both drives being on the "same cable" might not mean they are on the same buss. Read the documentation that came with the card, and see what it says about drive configuration.

If your daughter's Restore CD came with a different Mac model, it will likely not have all the files needed to install on your Mac model. If it is a full Retail CD, it should be ok.

Forum Links
Forum Rules