Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Heat/fan noise comparisson between 12" and 15"

Heat/fan noise comparisson between 12" and 15"
Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 29, 2004, 03:20 AM

I have a rev B 1GHz 12" PowerBook and I was wondering if I should get a 15" when the next revision comes out. Now, the one thing that really bothers me with this PowerBook is that I almost constantly get a running fan. At the office I don't mind, because there are enough other computers making more noise in the room, but at home I hate it. I'm using my 12" in closed-lid mode with an external 20" ACD, but the temperatures and fan behavior is the same as if I were working with just the 'internal' screen.

I was wondering if the 15" PowerBooks run cooler or more quiet or if actually they run even hotter. What's the temperature their fans come on?

So, I'd really appreciate if somebody here could compare the numbers I include below with their 15" PowerBook (especially the current 1.5GHz model). To get the temperature I used the free Temperature Monitor.

12", 1GHz, Energy Saver Performance setting 'Automatic', no battery charging going on, room temperature environment

� Fan turns on at 48C/118.4F
� Just Finder open, no user action, no apps running and no screen saver: 48.2C/118.8F
� Max temperature (when playing 3D games for example): 61C/141.8F
� Web surfing, Mail.app running in background: typically 50C/122F

As you can see no matter what I do I'm always running with the fan on. It's not terribly loud (like when it's on full blast during games), but it's still noticeable. Is this the same with the new 1.33GHz 12" rev C model? And what about the 15" PowerBooks? At what temp does their fan come on? At what temps do they typically run at? Is there any difference between the 1.33GHz and the 1.5GHz models?

Thanks in advance for any help here.

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 30, 2004, 03:41 AM

Nobody? Really?

15" owners, when does your fan turn on? Always? Only under heavy load?

Are there no 15" users here who use their PowerBook in closed-lid mode or with dual displays? Any fan noise?

Tin-Cup
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 30, 2004, 03:59 AM

my fan hardly ever comes on.... if im using photoshop really hard it will or fcp or playing a game... but not during normal surfing ect

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 30, 2004, 04:56 AM

Originally posted by Tin-Cup:
my fan hardly ever comes on.... if im using photoshop really hard it will or fcp or playing a game... but not during normal surfing ect
Which 15" model do you have? Do you use it in closed-lid mode?

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 30, 2004, 01:32 PM

My 15" (see sig) barely ever activates the fan. I don't even know what it sounds like. I'm not too sure I can even hear it. I don't usually tax the machine, and when I'm playing games I doubt I could hear the sound of the fan over my 400watt speakers. IMHO the cd drive is way more anoying than the fan

Edit: For reference, my processor is running at 39.5C right now on battery power w/ settings to automatic. I'm running camino, stickys, ms entourage, ical, cisco systems vpn, and temp monitor...
Mac: 15" 1.5ghz PB w/ 128mb vid, 5400rpm 80gb, combo drive, 2gb ram
Peripherals: 20gb 4g iPod, Canon i950, Canon S230 "elph", Canon LIDE30, Logitech MX510, Logitech z5500, M-Audio Sonica Theater, Samsung 191T
PC: AMD "barton" XP @ 2.3ghz, 1gb pc3200, 9800pro 128mb, 120gb WD-SE 120gb
Xbox: 1.6, modded with X3 xecuter, slayers evoX 2.6, WDSE 120gb HDD

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 30, 2004, 02:27 PM

Originally posted by wuzup101:
Edit: For reference, my processor is running at 39.5C right now on battery power w/ settings to automatic. I'm running camino, stickys, ms entourage, ical, cisco systems vpn, and temp monitor...
OMG. That's freezing cold!

My 1GHz G4 runs around 50C. How come there's such a great difference even though your CPU is clocked 50% faster?

Tin-Cup
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 30, 2004, 03:17 PM

how are you guys testing the temp?? by an app or by thermometer?

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 30, 2004, 08:19 PM

I just downloaded the program linked in the first post... Right now I'm at 47C w/ my settings on highest performance b/c I'm plugged in. As I said before when on battery I have my powerbook set to Automatic and it runs cooler. Again even at this temp there is no noise from my fan in a very quiet library room...
Peripherals: 20gb 4g iPod, Canon i950, Canon S230 "elph", Canon LIDE30, Logitech MX510, Logitech z5500, M-Audio Sonica Theater, Samsung 191T

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2004, 10:24 PM

1.33GHz 15 inch.

fan is whirring all the time, but i guess i don't have a problem with it. still quiet.

running safari, adium, finder and itunes.
iamwhor3hay

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 1, 2004, 02:33 AM

Originally posted by Tin-Cup:
how are you guys testing the temp?? by an app or by thermometer?
In the first post I gave a link to Temperature Monitor. This free little utility lets you monitor your CPU temperature.

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 1, 2004, 02:44 AM

I just downloaded the program linked in the first post... Right now I'm at 47C w/ my settings on highest performance b/c I'm plugged in. As I said before when on battery I have my powerbook set to Automatic and it runs cooler. Again even at this temp there is no noise from my fan in a very quiet library room...
OK, so in your case we have a 1.5GHz 15" running at
� 39.5C when set to automatic
� 47C when set to higehst performance
� at these temperatures there is no fan running

Do you know at what temp your fan kicks in? Could you stress the PowerBook with a 3D game or similar and see at what temp the fan starts and how high the temp rises til it reaches the max level?

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 1, 2004, 02:50 AM

Originally posted by MrForgetable:

1.33GHz 15 inch.

fan is whirring all the time, but i guess i don't have a problem with it. still quiet.

running safari, adium, finder and itunes.
Darn. This is strange. Was your energy saving option 'automatic' or 'highest performance' when you got that temp? Was the battery charged or was it charging? And at what room temp did you get that heat? Do you live in the Mojave desert?

Compare your numbers to those just posted by wuzup101. He has a higher clocked G4 in his 15" and still has no fan at 47C. Unplugged he runs as low as 40C.

I really don't get this. Very strange.

StiZeven
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 1, 2004, 11:24 AM

I had a 15" PowerBook (1.5/1GB/ATI128/80GB5400) for a few weeks and the fan BARELY ran. Even when it did come on, it was not loud at all (and I am used to whisper quiet fans in my previous Dell and Fujitsu Notebooks). The PowerBook fan was just as quiet. However, I had to return it because battery life positively sucked. I need a portable to be, well portable! With the 15" PowerBook, you'll need an electrical outlet every 2 hours or so (and that with PowerSavings on Automatic). Whoever claims they are getting 3.5+ hours are either lying or use the notebook with a very dim screen with very little use.

I have to say though, other than battery life, the PowerBook was flawless, quick and quiet. I hated sending it back, but I am just so used to Centrino that I can not have a notebook that konks out in 2 hours. When Apple releases a fast PowerBook that lasts 4+ hours with full power, brightness and active WiFi (like the Pentium M), then I will bite again.

Saramin
Forum Regular
Oct 1, 2004, 11:34 AM

With settings on highest performance, my Rev C generally hovers at around 48C or so with Mail, Launchbar, Safari, and iChat running. When gaming it can shoot up to 65C+ unless I set it to reduced mode in which case the heat is much improved.

And I'm not sure what was wrong with your battery, but my 12" gets near four hours when I use it to take notes in class (and watch WCIII replays...but nobody is supposed to know about that).

Toyin
Mac Elite
Oct 1, 2004, 03:42 PM

I've owned both the 12" (RevA) and 15" (1.5ghz, 128mb VRAM) PB. The 15" PB is much quieter than the 12" and the fan comes on much less. The 15" PB fan sounds like the hard drive (but quieter) on the 12" and it took me several months to realize that the noise was the fan not the hard drive. Both PBs get hot. I'd say the 12" gets hotter quicker and hottest under the left palm. The 15" PB doesn't get hot unless I'm using Garage Band, Skype, or taxing the video card (games, screen savers) for extended periods of time. The hot spot is not under the left palm, but right above the F2 and F3 buttons.

Originally posted by StiZeven:
With the 15" PowerBook, you'll need an electrical outlet every 2 hours or so (and that with PowerSavings on Automatic). Whoever claims they are getting 3.5+ hours are either lying or use the notebook with a very dim screen with very little use.
Just because you don't get 3.5 hours that means everyone else is lying? I get 3 hours when I travel. The key culprits for eating up battery are Airport, Bluetooth, and screen brightness. Get rid of these and you'll see your battery life improve. The 15" screen is bright enough to use on the dimmest setting IMHO.
-Toyin
13" MBA 1.8ghz i7
"It's all about the rims that ya got, and the rims that ya coulda had"
S.T. 1995

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 2, 2004, 11:52 PM

Originally posted by Simon:
OK, so in your case we have a 1.5GHz 15" running at
� 39.5C when set to automatic
� 47C when set to higehst performance
� at these temperatures there is no fan running

Do you know at what temp your fan kicks in? Could you stress the PowerBook with a 3D game or similar and see at what temp the fan starts and how high the temp rises til it reaches the max level?
I believe my fan kicks in somewhere in the mid 50s. I hear it very infrequently b/c when I'm playing games it's easily canceled by my speakers, and when I'm ripping songs from cd to mp3 using iTunes the cd drive is louder than the fan is. The only time I really notice it is when I'm sitting around doing photoshop or whatever and actually paying attention...

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 4, 2004, 02:58 AM

I believe my fan kicks in somewhere in the mid 50s. I hear it very infrequently b/c when I'm playing games it's easily canceled by my speakers, and when I'm ripping songs from cd to mp3 using iTunes the cd drive is louder than the fan is. The only time I really notice it is when I'm sitting around doing photoshop or whatever and actually paying attention...
Interesting. It seems the 15" runs below 47C (normal work, no heavy-duty stuff) and the fan comes on in the 50s. My 12" runs constantly above the 48C where the fan kicks in.

In brief, the 12" (almost always) has a running fan, the 15" only when really stressed (ripping CDs, gaming, etc.). Darn, I really liked the 12" form factor, but I'll buy a 15" just to be able to run fan-less.

Fiete5401
Oct 4, 2004, 10:39 AM

I have a 12" 867 MHz Rev. A PowerBook and the fans are runnig constantly.
Running apps: Mail, Safari, Mozilla, Firefox, Camino and Temp. Monitor.

While I'm typing this reply the temperature of the processor reaches 55.88 �C.

I hope the fan noise will be reduced when I'm going to get one of the yet unreleased new 15"-PowerBooks (maybe with a 20"-Cinema Display).

MRTrauffer
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 7, 2004, 02:24 PM

I've got a 15" 1.5GHz PB.

My fan usually turns on around 145 F. My peak temperature has never gotten above 147 F.

Noise: This is a very quiet machine. I can hear a faint high-pitched whine from the 5400 RPM hard drive. And the fans make some noise when they turn on but they're not that bad. But they're never on "all the time". Only when my CPU is working hard...Final Cut rendering, Battlefield 1942, Myst 4, etc...

This is my second Mac (upgraded from iBook G4). Still glad I made the switch.
( Last edited by MRTrauffer; Oct 7, 2004 at 02:35 PM. )
I gotta have more cowbell.

SpaceRockness
Oct 7, 2004, 03:54 PM

I own a 12"(1.33Ghz) and 15"(1.25) PowerBook, the 12" fan is very loud compared to the 15" which is like a whisper quiet fan. Since I'm at a university that has lecture halls with a small shelf for writing pad, it was good I bought a 12" PB(over a 14" IBM ThinkPad) as it fits perfectly(14/15" laptops would probably be uncomfortable to type on as it'll wobble/unbalance the folding shelf).

Heat: My 12" PB evenly warms up and cools down far better than the 15". My only issue with the 15" 'Books are how hot the back end becomes... jeez, I pitty the foo who wears shorts during the summer when using a 15/17" PowerBook with Photoshop crunching(even on reduced processing)

As far as form factor is concerned, I bought my 12" PB because I needed something light-weight and reliable... since Apple Stores never install Photoshop on the display iBooks & 12" PowerBooks there wasn't any chance I could have pushed the CPU till the fan kicked in.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Oct 7, 2004, 04:01 PM

my girlfriend & i got new powerbooks 2 1/2 months ago; i got the 12", she got the 15".

my pb gets MUCH hotter than her pb, and the fan runs a lot (since i bumped the ram to 1.25g); she has 2g ram.

her book gets warm, certainly warmer than her previous tiBook (which never got really warm), but its nothing like the 12" heat.

she has a better screen, and (only thing i envy) backlit keyboard.

but i love carrying my pb everywhere!
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 8, 2004, 03:07 AM

I guess the reports are more or less consistent. In normal use (Finder, mail, web) only 12" owners get a running fan. 15" users notice the fan turn on only when they really start putting heavy load on the machine (games, audio/video, etc.).

It's rather amazing. The enclosures have a similar thickness and you'd guess the heat output of a 1.5GHz and a 1.33GHz G4 to be similar. Yet, the 12" seems to run its fan a lot more.

I guess when the next PB rev comes out I'll have to put Temperature Monitor on a 12" and 15" demo machine at my dealer and see what temp they reach with what kind of work. And of course I'll have to check the fan threshold temperature.

But, I really want a PowerBook that doesn't have any fan noise under normal load. The only fan I'd really want to accept is the one you get under heavy load. If this means leaving the great form factor of the 12", so be it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules