Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > USB Floppy Drive Woes -- HELP!

USB Floppy Drive Woes -- HELP!
g4-guy
Oct 26, 2000, 11:23 AM

Hello all,

I purchased my G4 (sawtooth model) along with a VST USB Floppy Drive back in June. Recently, I have been experiencing problems with the floppy drive. The disk won't mount on the desktop unless I unplug the drive and then plug it back in again. I e-mailed VST tech support and here's what they had me do:
  • Re-install the latest version of the driver
  • Restart with bare minimum extensions
  • Send the drive back to VST for repairs

When that didn't work, I e-mailed them back and they told me that they couldn't help me anymore. I am throughly disgusted with this! Any ideas?

Regards,
g4-guy
PowerBook G4/800
Mac OS X 10.2.8
512MB RAM/40GB HD
Combo Drive, Airport Card

Paul Huang
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 27, 2000, 10:04 AM

You are having a USB driver conflict. VST's drive is just about the most compatible device out there.

I did encounter a conflict with Toast USB support--if I have Toast USB, then SuperDrive does not work. You may want to focus on USB drivers. Why don't you do an inventory of your USB devices and temporarily disable the ones not used, then try the VST drive.

g4-guy  (op)
Oct 27, 2000, 01:01 PM

Thanks, Paul.

If you didn't notice, my list contained the fact that I disabled all but the absolute neccesary extensions. Isn't that the same thing?

Regards,
g4-guy
PowerBook G4/800
Mac OS X 10.2.8
512MB RAM/40GB HD

Paul Huang
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 27, 2000, 11:35 PM

Sorry, my iMac at work only displayed part of your message, or I skipped the most important part, which was right in the middle.

You need to make sure that the drive is connected directly to the #2 port of your G4 or iMac. I have observed many problems when USB devices involve a hub.

g4-guy  (op)
Oct 31, 2000, 11:56 PM

Thanks again, Paul.

I have tried the drive directly into both USB Port #1 and #2. Any other ideas?

Regards,
g4-guy
PowerBook G4/800
Mac OS X 10.2.8
512MB RAM/40GB HD

Paul Huang
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 3, 2000, 04:58 AM

In order to eliminate the VST drive as a variable, I would take the VST drive to another USB-native Macintosh. Or better yet, take it to another station that already uses a VST drive. If it works fine there, then the problem is either in the software (likely extension conflicts) or hardware (not likely).

Paul<----landing, in seven days, at the same airport as where the Singapore Airlines 747 blew up

Forum Links
Forum Rules