Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > G3 using HP Laserjet 4ML & Epson 740 USB

G3 using HP Laserjet 4ML & Epson 740 USB
sweet1
Jul 29, 2000, 03:33 PM

Problem switching from 4ML to Epson:

G3 is connected via ethernet port to Asante Talk ethernet port, then to 4ML from Mini din 8 connection. Epson 740 is connected via USB port to G3 USB.

Last year when I set up the Asante I had to call for tech support which led me through start up sequence which began with 4ML then Asante then G3. At that time I was running 8.6 and it was the 4ML that wouldn't show up in chooser. I needed to get current driver for both printers and loaded and kept copies of those drivers. Everything worked well...I could switch between printers through chooser and never had to disable AT.

Had a system crash...reloaded 8.5 first and then repeated sequence above. Both printers could be accessed through chooser. Then loaded 8.6 again and even after repeating sequence only HP 4ML will show up in Chooser with Laser Writer 8. When I highlight SC 740 I get dialog box saying "Printer/modem you want to use is not available because AppleTalk is selected or another app is using port. Use chooser to disable AT or close other app." Even when I disable AT & highlight SC 740 does not show up in Select Printer Port window. This all worked fine previously.

Any help or resources will be appreciated.

reader50
Administrator
Jul 29, 2000, 05:41 PM

Epson has been updating printer drivers lately. You might get the latest for the 740.

Also, try the Extensions Manager. Look for the extensions: EPSON USBPrintClassx, where x represents the numbers 1 through 5. These five extensions are not needed in OS 8.5.x and later, and sometimes cause problems. Try turning them off and rebooting.

If you do install a more recent Epson driver, those Epson USBPrintclass extensions will be reinstalled. Turn them off, or delete them.

Hope this helps.

sweet1  (op)
Jul 30, 2000, 02:06 PM

I tried above fix. Installed new printer driver and removed #1-3 that were in extensions folder, I still get same message. I know this works because it worked before, so that when I went through chooser and switched from HP to Epson there was no dialog box that came up to turn off appletalk. I tried unplugging epson from USB port then restarting as well.

wlonh
Professional Poster
Aug 4, 2000, 09:12 PM

reposting replies from a second thread to the ORIGINAL thread started by same person:

sweet1

------------------------------------------------------------------------
I posted message on 7/29 re: epson 740 & HP LaserJet 4ML. I use an AsanteTalk bridge to my
appletalk printer; Epson to USB port on my G3 B&W. I used to be able to go to chooser and click on driver to change printers, even with OS 8.6 or 8.5.1. When my system crashed and I loaded up 8.5.1, no problem. When I updated, once again, to 8.6, I can no longer access the Epson. States Printer/Modem port in use.
Called Asante tech support but not AsanteTalk bridge otherwise HP would not print, which it does.

Things I have done based on advice thus far:
-Clean install of OS 8.5.1 then update 8.6
-Updated both drivers for printers (Epson V1.OBES)
-trashed epson preferences
-turned off extensions
-changed printer to USB #2
-removed all but one EpsonUSBPrintClass3 also tried after removing 1,2,& 3
-firmware update from Apple
Please, any advice would be welcome...I'm posting in peripherals and OS as well
Sincerely...Mary

IP: Logged
Evangellydonut

How many times at how many different fora was this posted at?!? someone deserve to be smacked!!! ^_^

[This message has been edited by Evangellydonut (edited 08-04-2000).]

sweet1

I could see your point if I hadn't spent 3 hours looking up all the
posts re: Epson 740, including Epson's site, Apple's site & calling
Asante (initially, I thought it was the bridge as that had been
problematic in the past). If you noticed by reading the post...I
enumerated everything I had done. If I missed something, maybe you could
be so kind as to tell me what it was.
Sincerely...Mary

P.S. Also trashed all old epson files and re-installed update, once again, removing ALL EPSON USBPrintClass files.

reader50

Reference: sweet1's original post regarding this problem.

Epson troubleshooting page: Won't print from OS 8.x
Epson troubleshooting page: Chooser doesn't stay on printer

It rather sounds like your G3 believes something else is on a serial port, which is a bit off base since the 740 does not use a serial port on your system.

My Epson 760 shows in the chooser, but when you highlight it nothing appears in the Port window unless the printer is on and connected. Then you get to select USB Port. Perhaps your 740 is incorrectly mapped to a serial port, fixing it should just be a matter of highlighting it (while on and connected) and selecting USB Port. When the error dialog "Printer/Modem port in use" appears, does it also give an error number?

For the heck of it, you could try disconnecting the AsanteTalk, and disabling the extension SerialShimLib. (Don't delete SerialShimLib, your HP almost certainly needs this extension, so you will need to re-enable it after the test.) Reboot. If the 740 becomes available through the Chooser with no AsanteTalk connected, then the problem would be in the Asante configuration stuff.

Trashing the Finder prefs and the MacOS prefs have been known to fix many odd problems.

reader50

sweet1, if you were wondering, I did not think of these steps the last time `round. I was not "holding out on you" or anything like that.

And I still hope this helps. Please let us know either way.

reader50
Administrator
Aug 4, 2000, 11:08 PM

Hey, here are repaired links.

Epson troubleshooting page: Chooser doesn't stay on printer
Epson troubleshooting page: Won't print with Mac OS 8.x
other Epson troubleshooting tips for Mac

sweet1  (op)
Aug 5, 2000, 01:49 PM

Found solution!!!
Last night i was beginning to think that all this printer was good for was a foot rest...Wondered if I would feel remorse if I went outside & took a sledgehammer to it...can't do that as my right arm is currently in immobilizer.
THANKS to ALL who hung in there with me!

I had downloaded from epson's support site several files and had been working on them without success. Also sent to me as well while I was working on them (which encouraged me to keep on digging...thanks).

It's as if Epson writes out instructions with tunnel vision, failing to give alternatives if they don't work, and they are really not very Mac-saavy when you consider how many imac users bought this printer. I was pretty convinced that I might have a bad cable, based on their info.

I had seen this page
(http://support.epson.com/webadvice/wa0125.html) re: G3 USB Port Compatibility with OS 8.5.1 but figured since I had updated to 8.6, I should be using Epson's current driver, which states it covers through OS 8-9. WRONG!!!

After reviewing for the third time, I popped in the OS 8.5 CD and extracted the disk images from CD extras folder. I cringed as I opened the chooser...the happy ending...USB port came up like a champ! And I can switch as before between my HP 4ML and the Epson.

Re: updating to current drivers...Epson's current driver does not work, at least for me. As an aside, this file was loaded (EPSON USBPrintClass1) and I will keep it until I have a problem.

So what do you think might happen if I update to 9.0.4? Makes me nauseous.

Thanks again.

reader50
Administrator
Aug 5, 2000, 02:02 PM

I have 9.0.4 and the latest Epson drivers, also connected via USB. My printer is a 760, not a 740. My "check ink level" button seems to dim out most of the time, but that is the only odd item I can report. And the 760's front panel lights will say when ink level gets low. I am not putting much effort into fixing this.

In my case, I got the EPSON USB.PrintClass 1-5 and I left them in for months before hearing they are not needed after OS 8.1

I removed them after hearing they were not needed, and everything still works fine. Maybe I just lucked out.

Glad to hear the happy ending.

Forum Links
Forum Rules