Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Best Sleeve: Vyper, Shinza or STM Rebound?

Best Sleeve: Vyper, Shinza or STM Rebound?
NateEssex
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 10, 2005, 12:34 AM

I've got it down to 3 sleeves:
Vyper
http://www.booqbags.com/Detail.bok?no=97

Shinza
http://shinza.com/product_info.php?c...a6ae7d74d5fbf2

STM Rebound?
http://www.stmbags.com.au/rebound

Any opinions on why one is better than the rest? I would like to order this week.

Thanks!

LoRdKaLiBaH
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 10, 2005, 12:52 AM

Vyper

alianna_98
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 10, 2005, 01:00 AM

I got a Shinza for my 15" powerbook and I'm not too happy about it. For one thing, it measures about 15.5" wide while the powerbook is about 13.5" wide, so it is a little too big. If you are planning to use it with a backpack like I was, then there might be some problems unless your backpack can really accommodate that size.

I ended up having to lug the powerbook in the Shinza under one arm with my books and stuff in the backpack. But since the sleeve does not have a handle, there is always the danger of dropping it. I know that they're boasting the zeroshock thing, but I don't really want to test their claims on my powerbook.

I just ordered a Tom Bihn Brain Cell with the shoulder strap tonight. I'm retiring the Shinza as soon as that arrives.

havocidal
Aug 10, 2005, 05:57 AM

yeah... vyper...

Randman
Posting Junkie
Aug 10, 2005, 07:26 AM

The Vyper is nice but it's too big to fit in my laptop case so I use a Radtech one with the case (actually, I have two of them: a padded STM case for travelling and a thin, black one given by Apple at the iMac G5 launch).

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

NateEssex  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 10, 2005, 11:26 AM

I thought the Vyper was suppose to give a tight fit around the PowerBook? Just how big is it?!

Darthmaul4114
Forum Regular
Aug 10, 2005, 11:38 AM

shinza
got one meself
1.5Ghz 15" Alluminum Powerbook, 1.5Gb RAM, 64mb VRAM
iPod 4g 40GB
Dell 2405FPW

havocidal
Aug 10, 2005, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by NateEssex
I thought the Vyper was suppose to give a tight fit around the PowerBook? Just how big is it?!

yes it gives a tight fit... but the sleeve itself is THICK... therefore it is relatively bigger compared to the other sleeves

NateEssex  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 10, 2005, 04:42 PM

Are any of these sleeves waterproof or, in your estimation, protection enough to carry it around without placing it into another bag?

osxisfun
Aug 10, 2005, 04:54 PM

SFBags.com

i tried the shinza and did not like it. as mentioned above it is not sized for a pwoerbook (or at least not when i tried it a few months ago.)

Bruck
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 11, 2005, 09:43 AM

What about these gloves from STM, I really need a sleeve for inside my NorthFace backpack and a briefcase, so i need something relatively thin, but somewhat protective.
| MBA Student | MacAddict | CarAddict | PhotoNut | Dork | PhishHead |

jaybert
Aug 11, 2005, 09:57 AM

whats the diff between the rebound and the glove?

Randman
Posting Junkie
Aug 11, 2005, 10:03 AM

Bruck
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 11, 2005, 10:03 AM

The Glove is neoprene, the rebound is foam. i think this means that the rebound offers more protection, while as the Glove is more like a Glove (for lack of a better term)

havocidal
Aug 11, 2005, 10:10 AM

i think booq is better since it is a hard cover...

Bruck
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 11, 2005, 10:16 AM

I think im gonna order the booq vyper first and see if its too bulky, then if it is, im gonna order the stm glove, i just see myself owning so many bags until i buy the right one (annoying and expensive)

Randman
Posting Junkie
Aug 11, 2005, 10:18 AM

Depends on the case. The STM I have is padded and designed for the PB17 so the Radtech is enough to protect from scratches. If you were just going to toss it in a backpack (which is always risky), get the Vyper.

jaybert
Aug 11, 2005, 10:21 AM

I just picked up the north face recon backpack. can anyone who has this backpack comment on how much protection the laptop compartment offers? I think I am pretty set on getting one of the STM cases, just trying to decide which of the two to get. I actually like the black color of the glove, but i guess i could get the grey if everyone thinks its a much better deal

jaybert
Aug 11, 2005, 11:27 AM

ended up ordering a bunch of random crap from radtech.

ordered:

Notebook ScreensavRz - 12 in. iBook / 12 in. PowerBook G4, Black Color, X Logo
Quantity: 1 Unit Price: $16.95 Ext. Price: $16.95

Rebound - 12" PowerBook - Khaki
Quantity: 1 Unit Price: $34.95 Ext. Price: $34.95

Wildeepz - Series 2 (For All Alum PB/All iBook)
Quantity: 1 Unit Price: $16.95 Ext. Price: $16.95

~$75 shipped. This is to go along with my North Face Recon.

Got the powerbook cheap, but after I purchased the memory, and all this other stuff, this is getting expensive!

CarbonG4
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 11, 2005, 12:53 PM

I recommend the Vyper

:: Carbon Themes v1.5 ::

Bruck
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 11, 2005, 01:04 PM

Well, I'm not just tossing it in a backpack, it's a borealis north face backpack (looks exactly the same inside as the Recon) and has a laptop holder, the laptop is padded from the back and suspended from the base of the bag. I just need something to protect it that allows horizontal and vertical opening.

Sandbaggins
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 11, 2005, 01:31 PM

Brenthaven makes great sleeves. I bought the BH Backpack w/ Sleeve included.
15" 1.25/512/80/5400/SD/AE Aluminum Powerbook

djkny
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 11, 2005, 03:22 PM

They VYPER is terrible; I was tempted to buy based on the hyped marketing found on Booq's website. When I saw it in person, I found it to feel no different (or stronger) then corrugated cardboard that can be found on any street corner in Manhattan.

Bruck
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 11, 2005, 08:32 PM

Ok so if the vyper is crappy, which of the other listed sleeves does anyone like. I want something that can double as a backpack (vertical) sleeve and a briefcase (horizontal) sleeve, both bags I've mentioned are designed for laptops, but not the way i like to baby mine.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Aug 12, 2005, 01:11 AM

Higher ground has nice cases. They have one of the 17. You can order an optional backpack sling for it as well.

NateEssex  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 12, 2005, 02:23 AM

Originally Posted by djkny
They VYPER is terrible; I was tempted to buy based on the hyped marketing found on Booq's website. When I saw it in person, I found it to feel no different (or stronger) then corrugated cardboard that can be found on any street corner in Manhattan.
I just got home from Manhattan and didn't see any...no, seriously, is the Vyper that bad?! I was getting ready to buy the Vyper and the Mamba XS. http://www.booqbags.com/Detail.bok?no=72

Has anyone else experienced the Vyper first-hand?
MBP 15" 2.33 ghz 256Video Card
40 Gig iPod, Airport Extreme

air
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 12, 2005, 02:59 AM

im pretty dead set on this sfbags.com sleve, as I need a top loading sleeve for my backpack.

iomatic
Mac Elite
Aug 12, 2005, 04:34 AM

Yes; the Waterfield sleeve is nice for the top-loading openings of backpacks. If you just have a shoulder bag, and need to have solid protection, the (expensive) Acme Sleeves are worth noting. They have hard plastic sides within the quilted interior, and zippered nylon exterior. Quite nice, really. Although STAT would probably think they're too 'girly' or not 'manly' enough for you. Whatever the hell that means.

jaybert
Aug 12, 2005, 08:10 AM

I'll give a review of the STM case (+ the other stuff I purchased from RadTech) on either Monday or Tuesday when it gets in.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Aug 12, 2005, 09:12 AM

I would have preferred the darker one but I got it at a tech show at a super discounted price so I won't complain. The case is very sturdy. I've flown quite a bit internationally with it and zero problems.

NateEssex  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 12, 2005, 08:32 PM

I just saw a good looking case with sleeve from Brenthaven in another thread:

They have one that fits 15-12" and a 12" only called the Fusion 12.

Has anyone purchased one of those?
( Last edited by NateEssex; Aug 12, 2005 at 08:41 PM. Reason: Trying to link a picture :/)

Kvasir
Forum Regular
Aug 12, 2005, 09:09 PM

I'm a bit paranoid, 'cause I like my powerbooks to last at least 3-4 years. I have a vyper, and love it.

My routine - I place the foam that shipped with my ALBook between the screen and keyboard. Then I put it in the Vyper. The Vyper in turn goes into a cheapo Targus neoprene slim case (I bought it at stapels for, like $20) - the powerbook fits the Vyper just nicely, and the Vyper fits the Targus just perfectly. That whole lot goes in my backpack (Eddie Bauer), and trucks around with me everywhere (back of the car, 1.5 mile walk from the garage to work, around grounds and all,...). My 9 month ALBook still looks like new, so I'm sticking with that

irus
Forum Regular
Aug 13, 2005, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Kvasir
I'm a bit paranoid, 'cause I like my powerbooks to last at least 3-4 years. I have a vyper, and love it.

My routine - I place the foam that shipped with my ALBook between the screen and keyboard. Then I put it in the Vyper. The Vyper in turn goes into a cheapo Targus neoprene slim case (I bought it at stapels for, like $20) - the powerbook fits the Vyper just nicely, and the Vyper fits the Targus just perfectly. That whole lot goes in my backpack (Eddie Bauer), and trucks around with me everywhere (back of the car, 1.5 mile walk from the garage to work, around grounds and all,...). My 9 month ALBook still looks like new, so I'm sticking with that
I guess it could be worse if you then put your backpack into a bulletproof briefcase and chained it to your wrist...

NateEssex  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 13, 2005, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by irus
I guess it could be worse if you then put your backpack into a bulletproof briefcase and chained it to your wrist...
LOL...I would love to see pictures of that posted

jaybert
Aug 13, 2005, 07:34 PM

got the STM Rebound in....damn they're fast at shipping (RadTech)!! I believe they shipped it out Thursday night and it came in today. Its very nice, definately worth $35...as for the other stuff I got, not worth the $17, especially the wildeepz things which let the screen close evenly. even in their furthest position on the top side, it made closing the screen too difficult. felt like there was alot of strain being put on the latch.

Bruck
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 13, 2005, 07:59 PM

1) do you think that the stm rebound can be used as a vertical as well as horizontal opening sleeve, are you putting it inside a backpack? do you think its a good compromise of size/protection?

2) the wildeepz effect the latch differently based on all of their locations, i found i had to put mine in between the farthest and closest choices to find the right "give" . I am VERY happy with them, finally my powerbook feels as solid closed as a titanium. I hope when they redesign the case next time, they fix this horribly unprofessional problem.

jaybert
Aug 13, 2005, 08:50 PM

do you mean vertical in terms of loading it or just how it sits in the backpack? I think there is ample protection if you store it vertically, i dont think hwoever you can load it vertically (i.e. leave the sleeve in the bag and try to load it. its too tight of a fit for that.

i put the the wildeepz almost near the stock mount points, and it was still very tight. maybe because i have the 12" powerbook, its not as pronounced as both the 15" or 17" since the width is much smaller. i just put the ones on the side and used the thin ones on the top for a little protection. maybe it works, but definately not worth $17 for what you get.

PaRaGoNViCtiM
Aug 14, 2005, 02:03 AM

I can't believe nobody has recommended CRUMPLER! I own a Red Crumpler School Hymn and love it. I just want something black to match my laptop bag, so I'm trying to sell it or trade it.
-15" G4 Powerbook 1.5Ghz/1GB RAM/80GB HD/Combo/Beautiful!
--TimBuk2 Powerbook Sleeve (Orange)
--RadTech ScReeNSavR.
-iPod (Black) 60GB-iSee
-Alpine iPod Interface 420i.
FREE THE WEST MEMPHIS 3!

Bruck
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 14, 2005, 08:55 AM

can the crumpler be loaded vertically while in a backpack?

I want some kind of sleeve that i can lean in the backpack.

PaRaGoNViCtiM
Aug 14, 2005, 05:18 PM

I use the Crumpler in my backpack. It protects it very nicely, I truely don't know if there is anything better! You just load the iBook or PB into the Crumpler and throw it in a backpack.
-15" G4 Powerbook 1.5Ghz/1GB RAM/80GB HD/Combo/Beautiful!
--TimBuk2 Powerbook Sleeve (Orange)
--RadTech ScReeNSavR.
-iPod (Black) 60GB-iSee
-Alpine iPod Interface 420i.
FREE THE WEST MEMPHIS 3!

ncsurfer
Aug 14, 2005, 09:53 PM

I love my Vyper, I highly recommend getting one.
15" 1.5Ghz Aluminum Powerbook
30gb iPod Photo

NateEssex  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 14, 2005, 10:34 PM

Okay, I just ordered the Vyper and the Mamba XS. I'll post with a review when I get them.

Thanks for all the input.

LoRdKaLiBaH
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 14, 2005, 10:46 PM

One thing that sucks about the Vyper is that for the 12 inch one ( the XS) is that it will NOT fit a 12 inch powerbook like a glove... it fits my ibook- but my powerbook slides around a bit- nothing to bad - im not worried about it- the hardness makes up for the lil bit of sliding

Yeast
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 15, 2005, 01:24 AM

Nate: I'm really interested to see how your Vyper and Mamba combo works out. That's the buy I was considering.

JMan09
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 15, 2005, 02:23 AM

Originally Posted by LoRdKaLiBaH
One thing that sucks about the Vyper is that for the 12 inch one ( the XS) is that it will NOT fit a 12 inch powerbook like a glove... it fits my ibook- but my powerbook slides around a bit- nothing to bad - im not worried about it- the hardness makes up for the lil bit of sliding
I was wondering if the vyper scuffs up the edges of you ibook, i saw in another thread that it did. wondered what yo uthought?
32GB iPad 2 | 32GB iPhone 4 | 11' MacBook Air 1.6 i5, 4GB, 128GB SSD

asodamiac
Senior User
Aug 15, 2005, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by djkny
I'll have to agree with djkny. I bought the Vyper sleeve because everyone said it was a nice sleeve, but it definitely was not something I had in mind. I sold the Vyper sleeve and purchased a Waterfield sleeve. Their sleeves are GREAT! They are built very well and their customer service is top notch. I would recommend the Waterfield sleeve!
15" Powerbook G4 | 1.67, 1.5gb, 128VRAM, SD
20" iMac | 2.66, 2gb, HD 2600
Dell 2408WFP

NateEssex  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 16, 2005, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by Yeast
Nate: I'm really interested to see how your Vyper and Mamba combo works out. That's the buy I was considering.
Well, I just checked FedEX and it's still in California :/

I am a bit disturbed that now there are two negative posts about the Vyper. I really do hope it fits the 12" tight. Otherwise, I guess I can give it to my wife since she just got the 12" iBook.

I'll post when I get them.

orijinal
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 17, 2005, 02:06 AM

yeah just got the vyper xs for my 12" powerbook.

it does move around a bit, i'd say... a cm in the front/back of space, or 2 cm in the front or 2 in the back, whatever you want to divide it as.

either way, it's such a hard shell that i dont think the space would matter.

if it bothers one so much, just put some foam/something else in there for the space.

i like the space because i can still use my powerbook while it's in it, when you open up the powerbook, theres just enough space to hug the entire bottom (while it's open), whereas with some other cases it's hard to use while still inside the case.

different strokes for different folks.

ericssonboi
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 17, 2005, 04:57 AM

My vote goes to Waterfield sleeves... amazing products.. great service..
15" 2.33 MBP 2GB Ram, 120GB HD - Main Rig

NateEssex  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 17, 2005, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by orijinal
eithi like the space because i can still use my powerbook while it's in it, when you open up the powerbook, theres just enough space to hug the entire bottom (while it's open), whereas with some other cases it's hard to use while still inside the case.
You actually have your PB on while it's in the case?! Isn't that bad with the heat and all?

Forum Links
Forum Rules