Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Flat Panel System w burner for 999

Flat Panel System w burner for 999
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2001, 05:13 PM

Sure its a celeron but you also get a 16X burner..you gotta believe the flat panel iMac can compete at this price point
http://www.gateway.com/home/prod/hm_...lete1000.shtml
"Well done is better than well said." -BF
Kitchenall

satchmo
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 12, 2001, 05:24 PM

And obviously one which would be much better designed and integrated than that piece of crap.

Or just give me the Cube back with a 800 mhz G3 chip.

<CityGuy2003>
Nov 14, 2001, 10:18 AM

this past weekend while throwing away all the advertisements in the sunday newspaper i came across an ad for one store (cant remember, either bestbuy, staples, compusa, etc)...anyway...it listed a micronpc computer with flat panel and cd-rw/dvd-r for around 1499...could this be possible or was the optical drive a misprint?...if parts getting this cheap why arent we seeing something...not to complain or anything

pierce1979
Nov 14, 2001, 10:27 AM

Yeah but did you see the processor. Its a 1.1 GHz Celeron with 128k cache, I better that thing chokes like a dog if it has to do run anything real intensive.

Its good to see that Apple isn't the only computer vendor not giving their users enough RAM, trying running XP with 128MB.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 14, 2001, 11:29 AM

Originally posted by &lt;CityGuy2003&gt;:
<STRONG>this past weekend while throwing away all the advertisements in the sunday newspaper i came across an ad for one store (cant remember, either bestbuy, staples, compusa, etc)...anyway...it listed a micronpc computer with flat panel and cd-rw/dvd-r for around 1499...could this be possible or was the optical drive a misprint?...if parts getting this cheap why arent we seeing something...not to complain or anything </STRONG>
Let's see... the superdrive (pioneer dvr-a03) costs US $450. A flat panel costs about $300 for the cheapest I've seen.
a 1ghz IBM celery is $600 (with employee discount)

If I had a use for another Linux server (I don't) or had a friend I'd sell the PC to, this could be a good deal. I'd just set that flat panel on my G4, or a spare iMac, and put the superdrive in my G4.

Victor Marks
[email protected]
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 14, 2001, 11:34 AM

I could build that Gateway system for about $600 if I shopped around for parts. It's not that great a deal.

But, however, I think it's a hint at what the next iMac is going to be like. I think they are going to slap in a 800-megahertz G3 and replace the CRT with a 15-inch TFT display.

<dead>
Nov 15, 2001, 01:55 AM

You guys are missing something important here.

The reason GateWay is selling that model for $999 is not because the parts are so cheap, it is because they are desperate to keep the company from going bankrupt and are trying to stop continued market share lose to Dell.

Once they burn through their cash reserves, they're toast. Their credit rating is in the shits, it will be the end of their money supply and the end of Gateway.

Party at my place.

iPaul UK
Senior User
Nov 15, 2001, 09:42 AM

I know this is kind of stating the obvious.. But there is deffinetly a flat panel iMac on the way. A friend of mine works for Apple education. And he got to have a play with an evaluation flat panel iMac prototype. BUT! As you would expect.. Such people are told to keep quiet.. And he damn well won't tell me anything more about it! All he would say is "It's VERY nice" Grrr.. Rest assured I will not give up though.. I desperately want to know the screen size, CPU type and approx release date too maybe!? Hmm, Well I didn't sign anything relating to the Official secrets act, so if I find out anything.. I'll be in touch!

xyber233
Mac Elite
Nov 15, 2001, 10:26 AM

Or just give me the Cube back with a 800 mhz G3 chip.
Thats what I've been saying . I would like a really fast G3 in the Cube...maybe even 1ghz .

escher
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 16, 2001, 10:13 PM

Originally posted by satchmo:
<STRONG>Or just give me the Cube back with a 800 mhz G3 chip.</STRONG>
I would love that. But I have a feeling that the days of the G3 are numbered. I think I'd rather have a Cube with ASD than an LCD iMac. I have no issue with tossing out the crappy CRT when I get a new iMac. But discarding a perfectly good LCD when you upgrade your iMac would be a waste.

iPaul UK: Are you serious? Are you certain that your friend is not pulling your leg? Inquire some more. Let us know.

Escher
"The only laptop computer that's useful is the one you have with you."
Until we get a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook, the 12-inch PowerBook will do.

<leg-puller>
Nov 16, 2001, 11:35 PM

That guy is pulling our leg about using the LCD iMac!

There is probably less than 10 people in the whole world who know what the LCD iMac looks like or what it will look like. Shit man, I doubt even God knows what it looks like.

<LCD iMac>
Nov 17, 2001, 09:09 AM

LCD iMacs here

Forum Links
Forum Rules