Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > the "new" books...let the ranting begin...

the "new" books...let the ranting begin... (Page 3)
mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 22, 2005, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by photoeditor
mduell -- apologies on my part for not catching the last part of your message. I will go and check the Freescale site when I get the chance. If the 7448 processor hits the wall like that above 1.4GHz, no question that is a big disappointment.
Power consumption generally scales by the square of the clockrate... so ceteris paribus you'd expect a 1.7Ghz chip to use 43% more power than a 1.42Ghz chip. That puts the 1.42Ghz 7448 at around 15W (typical) to 21W maximum.

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 22, 2005, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Daniel Bayer
This is a non-update for the PB. Good thing the new Dual core's and Aperature stole the show, This has to be the slowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww w w w w w w w w w w w w est update cycle of any Apple product to date.
So sadly true.

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 22, 2005, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Moon Potato
There's no good excuse for not upgrading the CPU and GPU...
What about faster CPUs being non available and the current one being not fast enough to feed a better GPU? Before nothing, I would prefer to see even this too-little-too-late feature bump.

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 22, 2005, 07:33 PM

I think Apple's update to the 15 inch model is quite good -- just the right choice of screen resolution (1680 is just too much for a 15 inch display), a nice chunk of VRAM, digital audio in and out, improved SuperDrives, DDR2 RAM which is cheaper than the older DDR, and more energy efficient components. But I am disappointed they did not finish the job with the 7448 processor...
Do you realize that Apple is NOT the manufacturer of the MPC7448 chips, don't you?

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 22, 2005, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by davidahn
The rumor sites were predicting little if any speed bumps. For me, 1.67 with faster DDR2 RAM will be a HUGE improvement over my current 1.25.
Processor-wise, yes, perhaps, but there is absolutely no benefit from using DDR2 memory on such an outdated architecture. I think Apple did it just for power consumption and price considerations.

EDIT: by "benefit" above I mean performance improvement.
( Last edited by Pierre B.; Oct 22, 2005 at 07:51 PM. )

photoeditor
Forum Regular
Oct 22, 2005, 08:26 PM

Pierre B -- yes, of course I realize it. But as they're in production now by Freescale, and Apple waited this long for an update, it's a bit disappointing to still be on the old processor. Though it does not appear as much of an improvement as I first thought when I first posted, there is no question that the 7448 uses a lot less power than the 7447, runs at a faster bus speed, and has a larger L2 cache; it would be a significant improvement.

I should also remind everyone that the 7448 is 90 nanometer, not 130 like the 7447, and so should run at a much lower wattage at a given clock speed than the 7447. The sum total of documentation from Freescale seems to indicate very much better performance by the 7448 on power consumption than the 7447 at 1.4GHz, but from what mduell dug up earlier, it looks as though things fall apart on the 7448 pretty quickly above 1.4.

I would like to point everyone to page 13 of this document from Freescale . . .

http://www.freescale.com/files/32bit...MPC7447AEC.pdf

. . . which indicates that the 7447A runs at a typical 21 watts, maximum 30, at a mere 1.42GHz in full power mode. I had seen 10 watts as a typical figure for the 7448A at 1.42GHz

The 7448A reaches typical 21/maximum 30 at 1.7GHz.

The comparison here . .

http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/...468rH3bTdG8653

. . shows also the 7448's very substantial improvement on the 7447.

Bearing in mind the 7448 is totally pin compatible with the 7447 (unlike Freescale's upcoming dual-core DDR G4), it really would not take much for Apple to just slip it in, especially as they have already done the necessary work with the PC4200 RAM.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 22, 2005, 09:30 PM

I should also remind everyone that the 7448 is 90 nanometer, not 130 like the 7447, and so should run at a much lower wattage at a given clock speed than the 7447.
I doubt the change in power consumption is primarily from the process size switch. Look at the results Intel (P6/P7), IBM (PPC970), and AMD (AMD64) got when they switched: near nothing (10-20%?) due to the increased leakage.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 22, 2005, 10:29 PM

The front page link to this thread is misleading. It reads:
Forum members react to the release of new PowerBook G4 models with high-definition displays
The new PowerBooks do not have high-definition displays.

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 22, 2005, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by mduell
The front page link to this thread is misleading. It reads:
Forum members react to the release of new PowerBook G4 models with high-definition displays
The new PowerBooks do not have high-definition displays.
If your TV had the resolutions of the PowerBooks, it would definitely meet the standard for HDTV. Soooo...why do you say this?
MacBook Pro 15" -- 2.2Ghz, 4GB, 200GB 7200rpm
iPod Nano 2G -- 8GB

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 23, 2005, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by John123
If your TV had the resolutions of the PowerBooks, it would definitely meet the standard for HDTV. Soooo...why do you say this?
In Apple's usage, "high-definition" means it supports the higher HD standard, 1080i. The PowerBooks only support the lower standard (720p). I agree with this usage.

Spiritman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 23, 2005, 09:43 AM

Price
17" at TRUE HD resolution (1920x1200)
Dual-layer DVD burner
Much better 802.11g range than my Powerbook
Much faster processor (come on, a G4 POWERbook? no)

IMHO this guy doesn't understand what the mac is about.....lemme see.....that breaks down to only about 20,000 virus' per spec, malware, spyware, and adware....and totally crappy os and apps....either a faker or just unaware
Spiritman

starman
Clinically Insane
Oct 23, 2005, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Spiritman
Price
Dual-layer DVD burner

IMHO this guy doesn't understand what the mac is about.....lemme see.....that breaks down to only about 20,000 virus' per spec, malware, spyware, and adware....and totally crappy os and apps....either a faker or just unaware
Yeah, I don't know anything Mr. 5 posts. I've only had a Mac since '89.

Considering all the other complaints on here it seems like I'm not the only one with gripes about the overpriced/underpowered Powerbook.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Randman
Posting Junkie
Oct 23, 2005, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by starman
I'm not the only one with gripes about the overpriced/underpowered Powerbook.
Considering the upcoming switch, be glad that Apple even made any changes in the lineup, minor as they were.

Personally, I'm glad they were minor. That increases the chance of a major upgrade in about 8-10 months.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

MRTrauffer
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 23, 2005, 11:15 AM

I think considering how much I paid for my 1.5GHz powerbook with a lot of extra features, and comparing that amount to the cost of a current powerbook, I'd say that the new PBs are a pretty good deal, since most of the features I paid extra for are now standard.

For the record, I'm a full time FCP editor. I use a dual 2.7 G5 at work, and my 1.5 G4 powerbook on the field. My powerbook holds up just fine, sure it's not as powerful as my tower...but it's a powerbook!

Still glad I made the switch!
I gotta have more cowbell.

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 23, 2005, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Spiritman
Price
Dual-layer DVD burner

Not really. For OS responsiveness, a P4 is going to be faster. PowerBook wireless range notoriously sucks. And anyone with half a brain can protect against viruses OK.
iPod Nano 2G -- 8GB

Halfloaf
Oct 23, 2005, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by justinkim
Well, all I can say is that I'm going to hold on to my 1GHz TiBook for a while longer.
Me too. I also have a 1Ghz Tibook and it clips along just nicely, and does everything I need it to do. Just ordered 1 Gig of ram from OWC to replace my 512mb.

It will hold up till the Intel p'books come out.

-HL
2012 Macbook Pro 13" 8GB Ram 250GB SSD
2010 5,1 Dual 2.93 Ghz 6 core Mac Pro 48GB Ram 250GB SD, 2x 1Tb HD, 1x 320GB HD, GTX970 Black Edition

Jaw3000
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 23, 2005, 11:04 PM

I'm dissapointed. It's been almost a whole year, and this is all Apple could muster for an update? Judgeing on the lack of updates, I think this probably will be the last PB update before Intel. It will at least be late 2006 to 2007 before we see Mactel PBs, so how do they expect a computer that hasn't really been upgraded to continue to sell a year and a half later (maybe two years)? I wasn't hoping for a G5 or a new 13.3" widescreen PB, but I was hoping that the 12" would at least see some sort of an upgrade. If not a speed bump, how about DDR memory, higher resolution screen, backlit keyboard, newer GPU, built-in camera - something to distenguish it from an iBook.

Come on - these are Apple's "Pro" machines, and the 12" Apple's selling won't even run Apple's current software like Aperture. Something's wrong with this!!!

iBorg
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 23, 2005, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by Jaw3000
I'm dissapointed. It's been almost a whole year, and this is all Apple could muster for an update? Judgeing on the lack of updates, I think this probably will be the last PB update before Intel. It will at least be late 2006 to 2007 before we see Mactel PBs, so how do they expect a computer that hasn't really been upgraded to continue to sell a year and a half later (maybe two years)? I wasn't hoping for a G5 or a new 13.3" widescreen PB, but I was hoping that the 12" would at least see some sort of an upgrade. If not a speed bump, how about DDR memory, higher resolution screen, backlit keyboard, newer GPU, built-in camera - something to distenguish it from an iBook.

Come on - these are Apple's "Pro" machines, and the 12" Apple's selling won't even run Apple's current software like Aperture. Something's wrong with this!!!
I agree - I can't imagine Apple letting their top-shelf laptops languish for another year, after already stagnating for the past 9 months! Perhaps they'll go with Yonah, but many opine that they'll wait for Merom for the Powerbook line (and use Yonah in the consumer-level iBooks), which will be another year from now (or longer, depending upon delays, bugs, etc.).

I think we'll see a "silent upgrade" yet, hopefully including the 7448, and a graphics chip upgrade, maybe at MWSF?

Who knows ..... it's all a guessing game. For now, I'm holding off on upgrading from my 1 GHz TiBook - I'll wait for "the last, best PPC Powerbook!"

iBorg

Jaw3000
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 24, 2005, 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by iBorg
For now, I'm holding off on upgrading from my 1 GHz TiBook - I'll wait for "the last, best PPC Powerbook!"
iBorg
I wish I could wait. I have an old dual usb iBook from 2001 that's really starting to show it's age, so I need to upgrade. I've already been holding off now for two months waiting for this "update." As a student, I want a small/light notebook. So I either go with a year old 12" PB that won't run Apple's latest apps. (Aperture), or I spring for the great-looking Sony S series with a 13.3" widescreen, lighter weight, x-bright screen, faster specs, DDR2, SATA, and a DL DVD-+RW drive. This things outshines any Mac available. The only problem with it is Windows.

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 24, 2005, 02:07 AM

I agree - I can't imagine Apple letting their top-shelf laptops languish for another year, after already stagnating for the past 9 months! Perhaps they'll go with Yonah, but many opine that they'll wait for Merom for the Powerbook line (and use Yonah in the consumer-level iBooks), which will be another year from now (or longer, depending upon delays, bugs, etc.).

I think we'll see a "silent upgrade" yet, hopefully including the 7448, and a graphics chip upgrade, maybe at MWSF?

Who knows ..... it's all a guessing game. For now, I'm holding off on upgrading from my 1 GHz TiBook - I'll wait for "the last, best PPC Powerbook!"

iBorg
You'd be waiting on Godot, then. This is it. Do you think the lack of feature additions is by accident? No. It's because the bulk of the hardware upgrade resources have been dedicated toward developing the Intel-based machines. Plus, when have you seen -- in the last five years anyway -- a Mac laptop with a shelflife of 3 months? You have to go back to the fall of 2002 for the closest thing to that. That October/November was when the 1Ghz TiBooks came out, and MWSF brought the 12" and 17" PowerBooks. The final 15" TiBook was around for nearly a year before being killed off and replaced with an aluminum model.

Twenty bucks says that there will be no PPC laptop at MWSF. The only way you'll see any new 15" at MWSF is if the Intel development exceeds all expectations...and I highly doubt that.
iPod Nano 2G -- 8GB

lafiamma
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 24, 2005, 02:26 AM

iBorg
Me too, I hope they will do a silent upgrade or something and put the 7448 inside. I wouldn't want an intel PB yet as my current applications are PPC based.

I will wait till MWSF and if by then nothing shows up, I will bite the bullt and grab the current PB.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Oct 24, 2005, 02:46 AM

There ain't going to be another PPC PB. I'll match John's $20 on this.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Oct 24, 2005, 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by Randman
There ain't going to be another PPC PB. I'll match John's $20 on this.
I'm in. And I'll raise by $10.
•

siflippant
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 24, 2005, 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by Simon
I'm in. And I'll raise by $10.
Hey... what are you guys playing?

Cupertino Holdem?

bcaslis
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 24, 2005, 01:07 PM

I agree this will be the last PPC PowerBook update.
MacBook Pro 17" 2.4 Ghz, 4GB ram, 200GB 7200rpm HD

habibman
Oct 24, 2005, 01:47 PM

Folks, the 15" is now a solid deal. Sure it coulda been better but look at what all became standard on the 15 plus what all was added and then factor in the wonderfully significant price drop on top of that. You got the most advanced version of the PPC PB for the cheapest price possible; a great closure to an awesome Powerbook. (I'm definately in on that bet...)

pete
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2005, 02:57 PM

I don't know. I've been forced to use a Thinkpad T40 for several months now and I miss the powerbooks beyond what is reasonable. I mean, I stare longingly at powerbooks at coffee shops and I'm sheepish when I bring out my black brick. If I could, I wouldn't hesistate a second to get one of these new powerbooks. Sure, it may be less than what people were expecting BUT the alternative (=Windows XP) is far more depressing. AS I said before, I really think a mature product that brings most things together the way the latest powerbooks do is more important than something speedier but with lots of small glitches and design oversights. Just like the Pismo, the latest crop represents several years of refinements - it will take the next generation of Apple laptops several years before they are at this level, though they might be more powerful with better battery life.

deermatt
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 24, 2005, 03:04 PM

i still think the powerbooks are overpriced, and until they come down in price where the everyday person can own one , i wont think of buying one.. 2 grand for a 15in laptop is just crazy...
photography is beautiful

alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2005, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by deermatt
i still think the powerbooks are overpriced, and until they come down in price where the everyday person can own one , i wont think of buying one.. 2 grand for a 15in laptop is just crazy...
1. It's not meant for the "everyday" person.
2. Even as a "pro" machine, it's still ridiculously expensive and sad when compared to the iBooks.

starman
Clinically Insane
Oct 24, 2005, 03:25 PM

I would mind the price if everything else on the PC side was just as pricey, but a $1200 difference is nothing to sneeze at. Ok, so maybe some of you have issues with a true 1900x1200 screen. I can accept that. However, considering all the other features, plus adding the fact that Apple's moving to Intel anyway, makes the price of a PPC Powerbook that much less attractive, and it's still a G4!

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

deermatt
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 24, 2005, 03:29 PM

yeah , im sticking to the 14in ibook g4 until apple wants to get real with the prices of those things.
photography is beautiful

justinkim
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 24, 2005, 05:48 PM

I don't think I'd quibble too much over the price if the specs could match it. As it is, the PBs are way underpowered for the price. It's not just CPU, the GPU is pretty pathetic, too.

If I'm going to pay as much as I would for a Vaio laptop, I want to see performance specs that at least approach the Vaio's. I'm willing to pay a price premium for OS X and Apple design, but too much of the existing PB's price seems to fit into that "Apple price premium" category.

The "Pro" machines should be processor and graphics powerhouses. If all you're going to be doing is email, web, and word why on earth are you even looking at a PB? An iBook should be more than enough. Those of us who do graphics, video, or development on our PBs need as much power as we can get out of our machines. Right now, for me, there's too little to recommend the purchase of a PB.

If I really, really needed to purchase a new Mac, I wouldn't even look at the PBs. I'd be much more likely to get a PowerMac because the PBs are just too underspeced to be worth buying.

IMHO, if Apple has any sense and can pull the engineering together, the Intel PBs will be in the first batch of MacTels to hit the streets.

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 24, 2005, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by habibman
Folks, the 15" is now a solid deal. Sure it coulda been better but look at what all became standard on the 15 plus what all was added and then factor in the wonderfully significant price drop on top of that. You got the most advanced version of the PPC PB for the cheapest price possible; a great closure to an awesome Powerbook. (I'm definately in on that bet...)
Agreed. The price drop is what makes it most appealing. You get more for less money. The alternative would have been to get a lot more for the same amount of money.

I think the fact that you can get a new 15" with 1.5GB of RAM and a free printer for $1940 shipped (minus any credit card perks) is pretty darn cool.
iPod Nano 2G -- 8GB

Moon Potato
Oct 24, 2005, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by Pierre B.
What about faster CPUs being non available and the current one being not fast enough to feed a better GPU? Before nothing, I would prefer to see even this too-little-too-late feature bump.
Both Freescale and IBM have faster CPU's available (and in the case of Freescale, more efficient as well), and even the current batch of G4's isn't going to have a problem "feeding" the GPU in highly graphically intensive programs.

Do you realize that Apple is NOT the manufacturer of the MPC7448 chips, don't you?
PPC 7448's were available in quantity beginning this month. There's nobody aside from Apple to blame for them not being used in the latest update.

Jaw3000
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 24, 2005, 10:58 PM

When I buy a new computer, I except it to become obsolete before too long (but at least a year). I think something's really wrong when Apple's current "Pro" computer (12") won't even run Apple's current software (Aperture, where a 15" PB is a minimum requirement). If the 12" is already obsolete and won't run Apple's software, what will it be like in 3 months, 6 months, a year? This is really sad, and the lack of performance for a Pro notebook seriously makes me consider buying a Sony S series and using Win until the Mactels arive (the 15" PB is too big/heavy for me). I too believe this is the last PPC PB update, but I'll say this: If I'm having a hard time buying a PB now beacuse of lack of performance, who in the hell is going to buy one with the same specs a year from now (since the Mactels probably won't be out yet)? Apple better hope that their iPod profit can account for selling no PB's for the next year. I personally think this is a great mistake on Apple's part.

Jaw3000
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 24, 2005, 11:12 PM

Here's something I haven't seen mentioned - the new "Safe Sleep" feature, that saves your data to the HD during low power to prevent data loss. But, the feature is only available on the 15" and 17." As far as I could tell, this is just a software thing, so why wouldn't Apple also support it on their 12" (or for that matter, the iBooks)? Just another example of Apple neglecting the 12" PB (along with Aperture)!

iomatic
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2005, 11:24 PM

I just want to know, is this postulation? Or are you an Apple PowerBook engineer employee? Or SVP of Strategic Marketing? A Motorola CPU engineer? Are you privy to information we're not? Were you going to buy today were to it up to your specifications, whatever they realistically are?

Why do you think it's "Apple to blame"?

Just curious.

Both Freescale and IBM have faster CPU's available (and in the case of Freescale, more efficient as well), and even the current batch of G4's isn't going to have a problem "feeding" the GPU in highly graphically intensive programs.

PPC 7448's were available in quantity beginning this month. There's nobody aside from Apple to blame for them not being used in the latest update.

habibman
Oct 24, 2005, 11:32 PM

Agreed. The price drop is what makes it most appealing. You get more for less money. The alternative would have been to get a lot more for the same amount of money.

I think the fact that you can get a new 15" with 1.5GB of RAM and a free printer for $1940 shipped (minus any credit card perks) is pretty darn cool.

Woa, and a free printer??? Please tell me how!

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 25, 2005, 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by Jaw3000
Here's something I haven't seen mentioned - the new "Safe Sleep" feature, that saves your data to the HD during low power to prevent data loss. But, the feature is only available on the 15" and 17." As far as I could tell, this is just a software thing, so why wouldn't Apple also support it on their 12" (or for that matter, the iBooks)? Just another example of Apple neglecting the 12" PB (along with Aperture)!
I'm surprised that it's not supported on the 12" PowerBook and the iBooks with just a software update. Windows has had the same thing for a few years, and it works on any computer (desktop or laptop).

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 25, 2005, 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by habibman
Woa, and a free printer??? Please tell me how!
clubmac.com or macmall.com
iPod Nano 2G -- 8GB

lafiamma
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 25, 2005, 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by bcaslis
I agree this will be the last PPC PowerBook update.
Have a look at this thread about my "thinking out loud" prediction of whether a 7448 will make it to a PPC http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?t=273315

I myself am not sure if this is a final PPC but I just hope they would stuff the 7448 inside before going intel. Of course this is just my own assumption and mostly due to the fact that I am not in "need" of a powerbook currently and I can wait a bit. But I do need a PPC based PB before moving to intel due to the number of PPC applications i got. I just hope that steve job would say things like "no more PPC PB" and I would be happy to get one that's just been updated.

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 25, 2005, 04:40 AM

Both Freescale and IBM have faster CPU's available (and in the case of Freescale, more efficient as well),
What IBM processor are you talking about for? The PPC970 family perhaps? I will assume you are joking. We talk about slim metal Powerbooks here, not nuclear centrals. Of course there is the so called low power version, which dissipates about the same power as the G4, but: (1) it is low clock speed too, and Apple will need to lower its FSB speed if ever wanted to use it in a Powerbook, and (2) it will require a complete motherboard redesign, something Apple is not going to do just before the switch to Intel. So, too much fuss for almost zero performance gain.

and even the current batch of G4's isn't going to have a problem "feeding" the GPU in highly graphically intensive programs.
Ever wonder why the Powerbook is stuck at AGP 4x, the same as the iBook? Here is a hint: the G4 as it is now (MaxBus at 167 MHz), cannot pump out more than 1.3 GB/s; the AGP 4x interface has a maximun data transfer rate of 1GB/s (about right for what the G4 can handle), while the AGP 8x ups this to 2 GB/s. Let alone the PCIe interface.

It would be nice if you could back up this assertion with facts. Original projections expected availability of the MPC7448 on 2H-2005, but it seems this has taken the form of 4Q05. Besides, the 7448 processor is pin-compatible with the 7447A that Apple uses right now in the Powerbooks and would require near zero rework to implement. This fact, combined with availability starting from this month and the absence of the 7448 from the new Powerbooks, makes me believe that Freescale cannot provide them in enough volume for Apple in time. They will perhaps in 2 or 3 months from now, but Apple could not wait anymore.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 25, 2005, 11:20 AM

Ever wonder why the Powerbook is stuck at AGP 4x, the same as the iBook? Here is a hint: the G4 as it is now (MaxBus at 167 MHz), cannot pump out more than 1.3 GB/s; the AGP 4x interface has a maximun data transfer rate of 1GB/s (about right for what the G4 can handle), while the AGP 8x ups this to 2 GB/s. Let alone the PCIe interface.
So what? An AGP card can pull data directly from memory. There's no correlation between FSB bandwidth and AGP bandwidth.

Moon Potato
Oct 25, 2005, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by iomatic
I just want to know, is this postulation? Or are you an Apple PowerBook engineer employee? Or SVP of Strategic Marketing? A Motorola CPU engineer? Are you privy to information we're not? Were you going to buy today were to it up to your specifications, whatever they realistically are?

Why do you think it's "Apple to blame"?

Just curious.
The information is out there if you look for it. Freescale publicly announced that the 7448's would be availalbe in quantity by October. I was speculating on the availability of the low-power G5's, though they were announced months ago (at the same time as the dual-core chips Apple is using now), and IBM hasn't announced any delays or problems regarding the availability of the chip.
With at least one superior laptop chip available, it's up to apple to make use of it, which they clearly didn't do.
I'm in a situation where I have to be working in FCP on a laptop, so yes - I did have to buy immediately (and did over the weekend).
Do you not see any problem in Apple leveraging a monopoly on OSX-capable machines to sell obsolete hardware at inflated prices?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 25, 2005, 07:20 PM

Do you not see any problem in Apple leveraging a monopoly on OSX-capable machines to sell obsolete hardware at inflated prices?
Think of OSX as a really expensive OS. Consider OSX to be $1299 with $129 (nearly) annual upgrades.

bwatson009
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 25, 2005, 10:50 PM

That's bull...the kind of thing a Mac user who has little to no experience with PCs says. PCs are pretty easy to use, and you can be very productive on one.

There are plenty of arguments for a Mac over a PC, but that virus/operations/productivity one is totally bogus.

i've never seen a 1.67 Ghz hard drive before, where can i get one...?
15" Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 25, 2005, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by bwatson009
i've never seen a 1.67 Ghz hard drive before, where can i get one...?
HD = High Definition. Do we have an official name yet to distinguish the new 1.67's from the old?
iPod Nano 2G -- 8GB

iomatic
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2005, 11:26 PM

DL for Dual-Layer DVD burner?

iBorg
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 26, 2005, 12:23 AM

You'd be waiting on Godot, then. This is it. Do you think the lack of feature additions is by accident? No. It's because the bulk of the hardware upgrade resources have been dedicated toward developing the Intel-based machines.
Accident? No. The lack of a 7448 is reportedly because of either Freescale failing to be able to provide them in quantity yet, or from an unresolved glitch, more likely the former. Apple gave what it could now, to coincide with their "dual-dual" G5's, and didn't want to wait any longer to "throw a bone" to PowerBook buyers. Doesn't mean it's not coming soon, just means it's not coming now!

If Jobs' promise to begin selling Mactels in June '06 comes true, that's another 8 months away, IF Apple goes with Yonah, and doesn't wait for Merom for its PowerBooks. Do you really think that Apple would go a total of 16 months without a single MHz speed bump (Feb. '05 to June '06)? ROFLMAO!!!

iBorg

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 26, 2005, 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by jaydon34
Dells are cool and all but you will probably lose half your productivity fighting off virus's and other windows crap. Other than that the specs are great. Os x is what keeps me on my mac.
Agreed. I have made my living programming on PCs. (Still do in fact!) ... and I'd rather use a Mac. I generally have to reimage my Windows laptops at least once per year ... the latest being some strange unidentified program that was spawning outbound connections to unknown web-servers. Never had to reimage any of my macs, not even once. :-)

MUCH MUCH more productive with much less problems on OSX.
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

Forum Links
Forum Rules