Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > What do I need to run final cut studio

What do I need to run final cut studio
Quantum Flux
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 25, 2005, 11:09 PM

im going to be buying a powermac g5 with the following specs. before i do i need to know if it will run final cut studio okay?

dual 1.8ghz
1gb ram
36gb western digital raptor sata low access time hdd for OS and software
200gb sata for video scratch disk
64MB nVidia FX5200 8X AGP running a 23" apple cinema display.

thanks for the help.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 26, 2005, 01:01 AM

Should be fine, the graphics card is going to be weak for Motion. Think about buying a better card if you'll be using Motion a lot.
I think you may be better off with another large drive (250GB are best $/GB at the moment) instead of the Raptor. I doubt you'll mind the difference in seek time in return for the extra space.
( Last edited by mduell; Oct 26, 2005 at 02:28 AM. )

Moon Potato
Oct 26, 2005, 01:28 AM

Your setup will work great for standard definition video projects... in fact, you could probably leave out the raptor in favor of a larger 7200rpm drive without taking a noticeable performance hit.
If you're going to be working with high definition video, or if you will be working with any 3D-intensive apps on a regular basis, I would upgrade the graphics card to at least a Radeon 9800.

OreoCookie
Oct 26, 2005, 04:10 AM

Are you talking about a G5 or an upgraded G4?

But in either case, it'll do fine.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

jmgriff
Oct 26, 2005, 07:16 AM

I run Final Cut Studio on a 12" Powerbook. I don't edit feature films or anything but it generally works fine. You certainly shouldn't have problems with the setup you describe. The fx5200 is indeed a weak card to run Motion ... on my system it is VERY slow, but usable. You could easily start with the system you have an upgrade the graphics card when you have funds.

MovieCutter
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 26, 2005, 09:41 AM

You don't need the Raptor...especially if you're doing DV video. I run the whole studio on my 15" PB with a 5400 RPM drive, I capture all my footage to an external 7200RPM notebook drive however, but even if I'm capturing to my main drive, everything works fine. I would take the money you're spending on the raptor and buy an X800, X850, 6800GT, or 6800 Ultra. That's going to make a world of difference in Motion. Not to mention you can find 250GB SATA drives for around $100 now...so I would put 2 of those in there. I had 2x500's in my Power Mac G5 until I sold it to get a Quad...I paid $300 for each drive. Something to think about.

Chad A Wright
Oct 26, 2005, 09:53 AM

Heck, if you can live without Motion, you can run Final Cut Studio on a Mac mini. That's what I'm running for the moment. It's sure isn't snappy, but for basic editing, it works great.

The Quad G5 can't get here fast enough.
Chad Wright
Image Studios
The Journey Blog - http://chadwright.wordpress.com

Forum Links
Forum Rules