Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPod Uni Dock and Remote

iPod Uni Dock and Remote
rtbarry
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 9, 2005, 01:39 PM

got the blk 60gb vidPod. amazing. got a uni dock for out by the TV and Stereo for "party control". but apparently it's messed up.

have tried it in 2 uni docs now and...
1) the 'menu' button doesn't work at all - evAr - so navigating the menus is impossible. other buttons seem to work.

2) cannot get the battery comaprtment open, no matter what i try.

packaging wasn't messed up, so doesn't look like shipping trauma. anyone else have issues with the remote?

rtbarry  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 12, 2005, 03:49 PM

hello world! anyone else got the remote yet? does it work for you?

crooner
Senior User
Nov 12, 2005, 04:26 PM

Hello.

Take it back to the Apple Store and get a new one. Problem solved.

To dislike Sinatra is a sign of highly questionable taste. To dislike the Beatles is a serious character flaw.

rtbarry  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 12, 2005, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by crooner
Hello.

Take it back to the Apple Store and get a new one. Problem solved.
"Look at the brain on Crooner!"

Was actually wondering if anyone else had experience with the product yet, since a bunch of them might be flawed. In which case, I wouldn't exchange it for another one, I would get my money back until they are de-bugged.

jtwiskowski
Forum Regular
Nov 12, 2005, 09:11 PM

First... READ THE MANUALS!

The "Menu" button does NOT work with iPods and is currently only intended for use with Macintosh computers with FrontRow pre-installed (right now only the new iMac).

Forget about opening the battery compartment, you have no need to. (Well, if you re really concerned about that, I guess try to swap it out for a new one).

But it sounds like your remote is exhibiting no problems.

rtbarry  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 12, 2005, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by jtwiskowski
First... READ THE MANUALS!
um. there wasn't a real manual, just a pamphlet. the only thing it showed was how to open the battery compartment. ironic, isn't it? and one of apple's hallmarks is the fact that you don't ordinarily need the manual. usability is job #1.

The "Menu" button does NOT work with iPods and is currently only intended for use with Macintosh computers with FrontRow pre-installed (right now only the new iMac).
that makes it pretty worthless to me as a remote then. why wouldn't it be functional to engage the menu button on the iPod, especially since they are labeled the same > 'menu'. i am sure many/most people will assume that your remote you bought for your iPod that has a button called 'menu', would activate the same button on your iPod. i build software apps for living and i did - i am very familiar with bashing on users and blaming everything on user error. this is not normally apple's style!

basically, without 'menu button' functionality, you can't effectively navigate an iPod.

Forget about opening the battery compartment, you have no need to. (Well, if you re really concerned about that, I guess try to swap it out for a new one). But it sounds like your remote is exhibiting no problems.
if i use it, i sure will one day! batteries are finite ;-)

bottom line: i am a huge fan and i often find myself defending apple against idiots who bitch about screen scratches and who laugh at apple's market share. but i gotta be honest and say this little appliance is a bit disappointing.

plus your post justifies my original reason for posting, much to 'crooner's' dismay i'm sure. if i tried to take it back before i saw your post, they would have told me i wasted a trip as mine isn't really broken. just broken by design ;-)
( Last edited by rtbarry; Nov 13, 2005 at 12:59 AM. )

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Nov 13, 2005, 01:59 AM

Maybe it is Apple's "hallmark" to not have to read the manuals, but any consumer, especially someone who builds "software apps", should at least read up on the product they are buying. It clearly says on the Apple Remote page in the store (I'm not going to post a link because they time out)

"Apple Remote with iPod
If you connect your iPod to a home stereo, powered speakers or TV set, the Apple Remote lets you experience your songs, slideshows and more from across the room. Just plug your iPod into the Universal Dock and choose a playlist, slideshow or video. Then, sit back, relax and enjoy. Ready to move on to the next song? No need to get up from your sofa--just press the forward button on the Apple Remote. Phone ringing? Just click pause, then pick up where you left off.

The Apple Remote offers play/pause, volume control and forward/back buttons.
"

It is meant to play a playlist on the iPod, not control every function of the iPod. it is just like the remote that comes with (or used to come with?) the iPod that plugs into the headphone port.

The remote is truly made for use with Front Row on the new iMac's, they are just marketing it as something that will control the iPod (which it does, although minamally).

It would be too diffiicult to use menu, etc. on the iPod via a remote because you would have to get close enough to the screen on the iPod to see what you are pressing. Unless the ability to have the entire iPod's screen project to a T.V. is there, then I am not sure why it is not implemented.

All in all, don't complain, you didn't do your research. Return it if you don't like it.

rtbarry  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 13, 2005, 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by Nodnarb
All in all, don't complain, you didn't do your research. Return it if you don't like it.
thanks "brandon" ;-)
good point about being able to superimpose some sort of UI on your linked screen - like Front Row. you know that has to be coming, unless Apple plans on immediately taking over the TV market.

i'm not complaining. i'm posting to a "discussion forum", where people "discuss" sh1t. to learn from others. i just saw it as an accessory when i was picking the vidPod (which i love!) in the Apple store. my foolish thought was: "gee. this might actually control my iPod." it really doesn't. you're quoting marketing stuff that i didn't see. you're just smarter than i am. you win ;-)

research??? time is money. i don't do a hell of a lot of research on a $30 product. and i don't drive across town to the apple store the second i don't understand something. i post to a discussion board hoping for some insight. thanks for the insight. but you "helpful" folks can swallow your own attitude. enjoy the taste.

what do you wanna bet they send out an update to make the menu button actually click on 'menu', or at least to make the remote more functional.

( Last edited by rtbarry; Nov 13, 2005 at 05:43 AM. )

jtwiskowski
Forum Regular
Nov 13, 2005, 05:00 AM

Look at the manual that came with the Universal Dock, NOT the remote. Weird, I know.

Trust me, the information is there.

And yes, the iPod needs on onscreen UI, and it boggles my mind why it doesn't already have one. The remote is near useless without that functionality.

rtbarry  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 13, 2005, 05:49 AM

Look at the manual that came with the Universal Dock, NOT the remote. Weird, I know.

Trust me, the information is there.

And yes, the iPod needs on onscreen UI, and it boggles my mind why it doesn't already have one. The remote is near useless without that functionality.
i figured that out eventually, after the RTFM! posts. just surprised that info didn't come with the device itself (remote). the last place i expected to look for remote instructions was in the dock manual, which i thought would consist of:

step 1: insert device
step 2: ???
step 3: profit

</south park>

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Nov 13, 2005, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by rtbarry
i post to a discussion board hoping for some insight. thanks for the insight. but you "helpful" folks can swallow your own attitude. enjoy the taste.
You are the only one with an attitude barry. Everyone has stayed on topic giving you the needed answers to your questions, and you complain about our attitudes? Suck a nut.

research??? time is money. i don't do a hell of a lot of research on a $30 product. and i don't drive across town to the apple store the second i don't understand something.
Go ahead and feel all high and mighty about buying not doing your reasearch on an item becuase it is only $30, but hey, you're out $30 cause you bought a crappy product.
Although you claim time is money, I think your time would have been much better spent going to www.apple.com, spending five minutes looking for and reading the information needed, and knowing what you are getting. Instead, you spend many, many more minutes on these forums complaining (or rather, discussing ) about a product you bought on a whim which you now regret.

I do agree that the ability to be able to completely control the iPod is coming, although I don't have a problem with this design. I have dozens of playlists in iTunes that I would be happy to be able to control with only play/pause and volume controls, which is what this remote allows me to do.

rtbarry  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 13, 2005, 03:49 PM

You are the only one with an attitude barry. [...] Suck a nut.
i wish i could reach. i would. probably... left.

my original post wasn't some screaming rant about apple sucking. no attitude. just a simple question: anyone have one yet? what is your experience? i consider someone telling me i don't have any reason to ever access the battery compartment (i will replace the battery some day), or RTFM! (there wasn't one with the product), a bit of an attitude. maybe that's where my attitude picked up.

now that i know the remote's manual actually is in another product's packaging, i learned a nifty little tidbit about "pairing" the remote with a specific device.

Go ahead and feel all high and mighty about buying not doing your reasearch on an item becuase it is only $30
i don't feel "high and mighty". i feel kinda stupid to be honest. but this is my first experience like this with an apple product and i guarantee you many other people will buy with the same assumptions i did. if it were any other company's product, i probably would have read up more. my bad.

I do agree that the ability to be able to completely control the iPod is coming, although I don't have a problem with this design.
i look forward to that. then i will use it.

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Nov 13, 2005, 05:44 PM

i consider someone telling me i don't have any reason to ever access the battery compartment (i will replace the battery some day), or RTFM! (there wasn't one with the product), a bit of an attitude. maybe that's where my attitude picked up.
Agreed. My apologies.

rtbarry  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 13, 2005, 05:50 PM

Agreed. My apologies.
accepted and likewise. ain't the intraweb fun?

Annihialator
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 3, 2005, 05:37 PM

Contravening views aside, this problem is simple. The Apple Remote only controls simple functions, play, pause, volume, as already established. However, I do think that the functionality of the remote with the video iPod is limited due to software only, software which, hopefully, we can look forward to being updated.

Think about it, the video iPod has video out, so why can't Apple fix this so everything that appears on the iPod screen is also channeled through the video out. Perhaps they could have an option to enable video out permanently (or at least while it's on the dock) and use the remote to navigate through the menus. This way, instead of having to get up from our seats to change playlists, slideshows etc. we have FULL control of the operation of our iPod. This, IMHO, will greatly enhance the functionality of the apple remote/video ipod combination and for those of us who would like it, result in a usable solution.
//***********************************************//
15" Al 1.25 PB
1GHz iMac SuperDrive
30GB Video iPod

volcano
Senior User
Dec 3, 2005, 07:13 PM

Honestly, what would be the point of having full functionality with the universal dock unless you connect it to your Mac? It would be impossible to read the text on the screen of your iPod from more than 5 feet away, so even if you did have that function introduced, it would be rendered useless unless you had a pair of binoculars with you as you sit on your bed/sofa/chair to control your iPod

Annihialator
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 4, 2005, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by volcano
Honestly, what would be the point of having full functionality with the universal dock unless you connect it to your Mac? It would be impossible to read the text on the screen of your iPod from more than 5 feet away, so even if you did have that function introduced, it would be rendered useless unless you had a pair of binoculars with you as you sit on your bed/sofa/chair to control your iPod
Which is why I say they need an option to output everything to tv. If they can do it with movies and photos, then why not the whole lot, menus an'all!
15" Al 1.25 PB
1GHz iMac SuperDrive
30GB Video iPod

zwiebel_
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 24, 2005, 05:45 PM

OK. THis is getting strange now.
Read this article and pay attention to the table under # 4. Then read this one on pairing.

Annihialator
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 18, 2006, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by zwiebel_
OK. THis is getting strange now.
Read this article and pay attention to the table under # 4. Then read this one on pairing.
I don't understand how these links help?

They only tell you how to pair the ipod remote with the dock, so only that one remote can be used with the paired dock. We were talking about getting the Menu button to navigate menus other than being used in the pairing process.
15" Al 1.25 PB
1GHz iMac SuperDrive
30GB Video iPod

drift1492
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 18, 2006, 09:01 PM

My question:

Why would you need the menu button?

Are you going to sit across the room with binoculars and navigate through the menus?

I think this might be part of the reason why it isnt needed for the ipod. They just assumed that if you're close enough to see to actually navigate through the menus, then you wouldnt mind raising your hand and using the clickwheel.

You may have a use for the "menu" but when you think about it not many people would.

Just my 2 cents.

EDIT* Ignore this, great minds think alike

TheSpaz
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 5, 2006, 06:29 PM

I just got the stupid remote today not reading about it first. It's useless to me because I wanted to not have to touch my iPod if I was switching menus. So what if I had to get up to see the screen, at least I wouldn't have to hold my iPod with one hand and spin the wheel with the other. (I don't much like pressing on the button if I don't have my other hand supporting the iPod so that it doesn't bend the connector). Also, $29 is way too much for a piece of plastic that can pause/play/volume and fast-forward. Ugh... darn Apple and their pricing schemes.

Forum Links
Forum Rules