Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Do you have applecare, and if so have you used it?

View Poll Results: Applecare?
Poll Options:
I own it and have used it. 40 votes (46.51%)
I own it but have never used it. 17 votes (19.77%)
I don't own it. 29 votes (33.72%)
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll
Do you have applecare, and if so have you used it?
WayzataXC05
Dec 31, 2005, 09:47 PM

My 1 year warranty is about to run out, should i buy applecare?
Powerbook G4 1.5 ghz, 1gb ram, 64 VRAM----5G Ipod and a Shuffle

hollowflame
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 31, 2005, 10:07 PM

I don't own any Applecare. I am content with trusting myself that I will be careful with my powerbook

However, If I was going to be doing more traveling I would probably purchase applecare.

B Gallagher
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 31, 2005, 10:29 PM

I don't own it - my PB is two months old. I will see what I am like financially when it gets close to the one-year mark. If I can afford it, I'll get it.
MBP 15" C2D 2.2GHz 4.0GB 500GB@5400
iPhone 4 32GB Black

HarriganC
Forum Regular
Dec 31, 2005, 10:39 PM

I do not have it on my current PB, however, I have owned it on (2) Previous PB's and (1) Ibook and never used it. I am not sure If I am gentle with my machines, or just damn lucky!

Chris

iREZ
Professional Poster
Dec 31, 2005, 10:39 PM

your a fool if you think that problems will not occur if your 'careful' with your powerbook. i baby my powerbook like a child and in the two years of owning it, the optical drive needed replacement, and just recently i had to send it in for a new AC input and new trackpad because it started peeling up and out of the frame. if you plan on owning ur book for another year, cough up the cash and you wont regret it.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

mrmister
Mac Elite
Dec 31, 2005, 10:40 PM

"I don't own any Applecare. I am content with trusting myself that I will be careful with my powerbook"

Careful has nothing to do with it--no matter how careful you are you can get a motherboard issue or screen display problem, which is exactly the kind of thing AppleCare covers.

rem
Forum Regular
Dec 31, 2005, 10:44 PM

I don't have AppleCare at present but am planning to purchase it before the one year warranty expires...

I'd take my chances with a desktop machine but too many things can happen with dire consequences on a PowerBook. Let's say one day your PB overheats too much or gets a power spike and BAM, the vid ram is toast...

Video memory is integrated on the video card, which is integrated on the logic board, which costs about $900 just for the part

Try to imagine having to decide whether its worth ~$1k to save a laptop that you could maybe sell for $1.2k (in working condition) due a probably $40 chip failure.
( Last edited by rem; Dec 31, 2005 at 10:55 PM. )

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 2, 2006, 10:41 PM

My revA PB17 is nearly 3 years old, and its Apple Care will run out in March.

It has been back to Apple 3 times -- one for a defective modem, one for a motherboard problem, and one for a bad screen. All happened within the first year of ownership.

I think Apple Care is essential for laptops that are mission critical.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Jan 2, 2006, 11:09 PM

applecare is soo important that i have just resent my machine back for repair today for the second time in about 2 weeks time. do yourself a favor and get a warranty on any portable you purchase.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Scooterboy
Senior User
Jan 2, 2006, 11:32 PM

For a PowerBook, AppleCare is a must have. I've had the screen replaced on my 17" PowerBook. That would have been expensive without the warranty.
Scooters are more fun than computers and only slightly more frustrating

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jan 3, 2006, 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by WayzataXC05
My 1 year warranty is about to run out, should i buy applecare?
Laptops, by their nature, get battered (by computer standards). While a desktop machine kinda just gets set up and sits there for a couple of years, laptops get jostled, jarred, bumped, shaken, etc, all while turned on. They wear out.

One single out of warranty repair costs more than AppleCare. I wouldn't even consider doing without it.

tooki

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 3, 2006, 12:09 PM

From today's macintouch:

http://www.macintouch.com/reliability/laptops.html

note their conclusions regarding AppleCare.

iomatic
Mac Elite
Jan 3, 2006, 12:28 PM

Get AppleCare for piece of mind—as others have said, it's good insurance. And, get Safeware insurance, if you think you are more likely to have accidents, theft, or other mishaps—none of which AppleCare covers.

If this is your primary machine for income I would also rely on daily FireWire backups, and multiple DVD archiving (create an archive folder, and use that as an archive-delete folder). That's what I do.

Chito
Senior User
Jan 3, 2006, 01:07 PM

Just enrolled my 11 month old Powerbook last week.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Fozz_uk
Forum Regular
Jan 3, 2006, 01:10 PM

Why not shop around? Apple aren't the only company who will repair your laptop if something breaks. My laptop is covered for hardware failure *and* accidental damage, for less than the price of Applecare and for 5, rather than 3, years.

Personally, I'd say that some sort of cover was essential for any laptop.
Yadda, yadda, yadda...

MacBook | 2GHz C2D | 1GB | 120GB | 10.5.1 |

Leo the 3rd
Jan 3, 2006, 04:21 PM

I own it. I have had my display replaced (due to white spots) and when my lower ram slot went out due to a logic board, it was covered also (just outside of my 1 year original warranty). I'd swear by it for my next PowerBook purchase. You can never be too careful.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jan 3, 2006, 04:35 PM

1 use of A/C after the 1 year original warranty expires more than pays for the cost of it. For a desktop, it's debatable. For a laptop, it's insurance.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

TimothyJay
Jan 3, 2006, 05:25 PM

If you're a student, your AppleCare price for a PowerBook drops by $110 from $349 to $239, which is a pretty sweet deal. I think I'm going to get this once my warranty comes close to an end.

I do have a question though...

The price on Apple mentions the $239 price for AppleCare as: AppleCare Protection Plan for PowerBook (w/ or w/o Display)

Now, I'm a little confused. Does the $239 price (or even with the regular $349 price) cover everything BUT the display? and would I need to purchase an extra protection for the screen on top of that price?

If not, then $239 for everything is definitely a steal!

Please enlighten me =]

TimothyJay

madmacgames
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 3, 2006, 06:31 PM

that is with or without an external Apple display, not with or without the powerbook display

PS. I have AppleCare and have never used it, and that is kind of the point, because it is when you don't have something that you need it the most.
The only thing necessary for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing
- Edmund Burke

jstein
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 3, 2006, 10:25 PM

To each their own, and as far as they goes for me I would go with Applecare. The only reason that one should not be purchase Applecare is they cannot afford it or if you have some other form of computer insurance. A Powerbook is a costly investment and one should want to protect their purchase by the best available possible. Unfortunately as technology has progress computers have become more and more delicate or so the computer industry would have us think and out of that laptops are even more sensitive to things.

It is not about one being abusive to their machine or being extremely careful with it, there is just so much that can go wrong with a computer. Just in the last few weeks Apple has been hit with problems concerning Powerbook users who downloaded the latest Mac OS upgrade to 10.4.3 and the lower RAM slots going bad. Any look on this board and you will see the numerous motherboard failings, faulty HD, RAM problems, heating issues etc etc. Are all of these problems from abuse or neglect not likely.

So if feasible one should go with the Applecare and it adds value to your computer if you choose to resale it. More importantly if something does wrong the amount of money you are going to spend on repairs is going to make the Applecare price seem so insignificant.

Dakkon
Forum Regular
Jan 3, 2006, 11:32 PM

On my old wallstreet I it, and the the video cable from the video card to the lcd went bad. Don’t know exactly what happened, but it was a semi popular problem with that model, and with the amount that you open/close your laptop, I can see how something like that would just wear out after time. And I was very careful with that machine. Like tooki said by the nature of laptops they will most likely have a problem at least one time in their life..

TimothyJay
Jan 4, 2006, 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by madmacgames
that is with or without an external Apple display, not with or without the powerbook display t.
Ahh, gotcha. *feeling like a doof*

TimothyJay

ncsurfer
Jan 4, 2006, 03:17 AM

My 15" is about 10 months old and I do not have applecare. I don't think I am getting it. I plan on purchasing a powermac in May or June. If I planned on having my PB for 2-3 years, I would buy it.
15" 1.5Ghz Aluminum Powerbook
30gb iPod Photo

Autumn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 4, 2006, 06:13 AM

I've had my first PB for 3 years now and I don't have applecare.

Except I have to buy a new AC adaptor during the second year, everything works great! I'm planning still keep it for another two years.

I'd say if you can afford it, go for it. Or just try your luck.
My first Mac:

15.2-inch Titanium G4 @ 1Ghz
1GB Ram
40 GB
64MB Video Ram

iPod Nano 4GB Black

headbirth
Mac Elite
Jan 4, 2006, 10:55 AM

Yep ... have it and used it twice on my old PowerBook. Apple replaced my battery free of charge after it stopped holding a charge after about 2 years of use :-) Then then replaced my screen for me after it was getting a little pink at the bottom (turned it around over night).

I'm pretty happy with and feel better having an extended protection plan.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Jan 4, 2006, 12:47 PM

i didn't have it with my previous powerbook...and spent $450 with apple, to replace the logic board.

i have it with my current pb, and, just after the first year, had to have the harddrive replaced.
plus i've used phone support twice since.

well worth it.
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jan 4, 2006, 01:22 PM

I will never buy a laptop without any sort of extended warranty, ever again.

Not necessarily AppleCare, but *something*.

My 2¢.

bbales
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2006, 12:46 PM

I can't believe the above poster got a battery replaced b/c those aren't supposed to be covered but, hey, good for him.

I would never not get AC for a Powerbook. Too many things can go wrong. About 6 weeks after my 1-year warranty ran out my screen (RevA 12-in PB) developed darkening at the edges. The repair probably would have been at least $700 -- it was free. More than paid the cost of the care.

You could get someone who's a teacher to buy it through the education store... Brings the price down considerably.

_kevin
Jan 7, 2006, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by bbales
I can't believe the above poster got a battery replaced b/c those aren't supposed to be covered but, hey, good for him.
I was suprised by this too; most other manufacturers omit coverage of battery replacement. I called Apple a few days ago to inquire about their official policy on battery replacement.

The receptionist I spoke with told me that battery replacement is indeed covered by AppleCare, unless water damage is obvious. This is a great policy.

The justifications for purchasing AppleCare on a notebook are plentiful. This battery replacement policy makes the plan that much more appealing.
Starting Line: 15" 1.25GHz Powerbook, iPod 5G 60GB, Nikon 3100, AMD 2200 & Intel P3 Winboxes
Honorably Retired: 12" 867MHz Powerbook, Quadra 610, Mac Plus, iPod 3G 20GB
Dishonorabe Discharge:HP AMD 2.4GHz notebook, Toshiba 1.5GHz Intel Pentium-M Centrino notebook

bleee
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 7, 2006, 06:32 PM

I used apple care to replace a hard drive in my late 2001 iBook and to replace my 10Gig iPod (twice) the replacement they sent me died within 2 weeks so I called them up and they said that all refurbs have a 90day warrenty so I get a second replacement for the first replacement they sent me.
2.66Ghz Mac Pro 2GM Ram 160Gig HD Ati X1900XT, 24" Dell 2407WFP
13.3" Mac Book Core Duo 2GIG Ram 80Gig HD
12" PowerBook 1.5Ghz 1.25GB Ram 60Gig HD
12" iBook 600Mhz (Late 2001) 640MB Ram 30Gig HD

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2006, 06:43 PM

My applecare paid for a new Hard Drive and a new Super Drive. I treat my laptop very well. Its well worth it.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2006, 10:57 PM

I've sent my PB in twice, but both issues (white spots, bad video card) both manifested themselves pretty quickly, and fell under the original warranty. I've used Applecare on my QS tower twice, though.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 10, 2006, 03:31 AM

Issues Applecare has been used for beyond the normal warranty:

1. New hard drive, though this was misdiagnosed because of...
2. Logic board had an intermittent ATA controller issue causing hard drive data errors.
3. New 256mb memory module when one failed a memory test
4. Mail smart folders malfunctioned. Tried posting here for suggestions and on Apple.com, finally called and had it fixed after 20 minutes. Odd deep seeded issue.

It has definitely been worth it, and on my next Intel based Powerbook, I will be buying it again.
<This space under renovation>

romeosc
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2006, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by hollowflame
I don't own any Applecare. I am content with trusting myself that I will be careful with my powerbook

However, If I was going to be doing more traveling I would probably purchase applecare.

Safeware.com insurance is more valuable. They cover more than Applecare and often fix defects as well as damage due to theft, lost, liquids, cracked screen, broken hinges, dead battery, etc. Most defects have been repaired as "miscelleanous damage"

I sent my TIPB in with broke hinge, they replaced screen as well as replaced battery because it wouldn't hold charge for "more than 90 minutes!"

Better than Applecare!!!!!!!

euphras
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2006, 12:07 PM

My Combodrive went bad after three years (actually three weeks after my AC expired). They fixed it for free (!!!); AC highly recommended

Macintosh Quadra 950, Centris 610, Powermac 6100, iBook dual USB, Powerbook 667 DVI, Powerbook 867 DVI, MacBook Pro early 2011

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2006, 06:57 PM

Not sure how you got your batteries replaced under AppleCare, but I was told their policy is if the battery has been in use for only under a year. Beyond that it is subject to the "normal wear and tear" argument, and since it is a consumable does not mean it is automatically subject to replacement.

I had an iBook G4 (2 years into AppleCare) and it could barely hold a 30 minute charge. After an hour on the line, the end result was that they feel the battery has just been through a lot of wear and tear, and that they wouldn't honor a replacement under warranty.

As for me, I've had AppleCare for both my iBook G4 and PowerBook G4. For the iBook G4 I've never been able to use it. But for my PowerBook G4, I got the display inventer replaced as I noticed my screen was dimmer than normal.

teknopimp
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 10, 2006, 07:27 PM

i haven't used it yet, but still have another year left on it.

MacBook 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | Clamshell iBook G3 366MHz | 22" Cinema Display | iPod Mini | iPod shuffle | AirPort Express | Mighty Mouse

Forum Links
Forum Rules